20th Pokemon Film Confirmed: New Adaption of First Season?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Gold Guy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Vegard Aune

Vegard Aune Member

I would like to point out that not only is home video expensive in Japan... The first series of Pocket Monsters never even got a home video release. Later series at least have the episodes available for rent (which, given Japan's steep prices for DVD and BD, is actually far more accessible to your average viewer), but the Kanto arc? Nothing doing, you flat-out can't get those episodes on DVD. Though they are available for streaming on Amazon and Netflix, so... yeah, actually it's not at all difficult for people to see them if they want to. This movie is really just a milestone celebration, going back to the beginning of the story to celebrate 20 years of the anime, and branching it off into its own plot which might perhaps, if we're lucky, mean that we will have a version of Satoshi's journey that has an ending.
    ...while throwing in a few new Pokémon because they gotta advertise Sun & Moon I guess.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Featuring new Pokemon, as well as non-Kanto Pokemon in general, does make it clearer to viewers that this is an alternate take on Ash's beginning rather than a retelling too. When the movie was first announced, people weren't sure whether or not it would be a retelling of the original Kanto arc. The primary reason would still be needing to market the newest Pokemon, but it also emphasizes that the movie is going in its own direction with Ash's first journey.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was really weird and unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have no idea why people are throwing such a fit over that scene. Pikachu talking was sudden, confusing and there was laughter in the theater during that moment, but it wasn't that bad to justify such Internet rage from fans. It was one line of dialogue that could have just been just a figment of Ash's imagination considering he was near death. It still wasn't quite clear as to what was happening, but it was to convey more of Ash and Pikachu's bond in a direct way. The scene was still really touching and emotional, especially with all of the callbacks to the opening of the movie and how their bond was strong enough to bring Ash back.

I can understand not liking that bit, but people are acting like Pikachu talking with one line of dialogue is the worst thing to ever happen in the anime or that it ruined the movie. It's a complete overreaction to what I think is one of the best Pokemon movies to come out in years, so hopefully things will calm down eventually and these reactions won't overshadow everything else about the new movie.

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

For those who saw the movie in theaters how many people were bitter that Misty/Brock weren't in the movie? :rolleyes2:

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't stick around to listen on what people were saying after the movie, but no one mentioned Misty and Brock until the ending credits. There were a good number of people around my age who would be more familiar with them, but there were also a good amount of little kids, so I doubt that Misty and Brock not being in the film was that big of a deal for causal fans. For what it was worth, people actually clapped at the end of the movie in the theater I went to see it, so I take that as a sign that they generally liked the movie at least.