1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

20th Pokemon Film Confirmed: New Adaption of First Season?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Gold Guy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

So I guess this means this is an entirely new continuity if they aren't retelling the events of the first season.

So is this the new canon all other series are to fall back on now?

#41 AnotherRandomGuy, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I doubt that this is going to be connected to the other series. It seems more like a new continuity altogether and it wouldn't make sense to say this is how Ash started his journey. Pokemon isn't unfamiliar with retcons. They've had to do that whenever new Pokemon are introduced, especially when they're featured in older regions like Kanto, and the Team Rocket trio's origins were changed a bit throughout the first season, but I don't think that they'd go as far as altering the events of the original series from the canon. They even reanimated scenes between Ash and Charizard during BW, so they do keep some sense of continuity in tact. Plus, I'm not sure why they'd alter the continuity this much when the show has had pretty minimal references to past events for the past couple of series. Each series is pretty much stand alone, even when there were more references to past events, so I'm not sure how altering the canon this much would benefit the series.

Anyway, the new trailer was pretty cool. I've already seen a lot of disappointment over Misty and Brock not showing up and I can certainly understand why. They've been so focused on the original series nostalgia that people naturally assumed that Misty and Brock were a guarantee. The idea of using the original cast for a brand new story would certainly sound pretty cool to a lot of long time fans and the nostalgia factor was definitely a big reason as to why this movie has gotten more attention than the last few have.

However, I'm perfectly okay with new characters right now. As neat as the original series nostalgia has been, I've been wanting to see what new content or take this movie would offer for awhile. The nostalgia factor can only take you so far and I wanted to see what else they can do besides that. Bringing in new characters with new Pokemon, as well as Pokemon not native to Kanto, would do just that. It further emphasize that this is an alternate universe take on the series instead of simply a retelling, which is honestly a much better approach. They couldn't cover everything that happened in the Kanto arc in just one movie and being an alternate universe take on the anime allows them to do more with the storyline potentially. They could have still made an alternate universe take with the original trio, but I think this make is clearer for both new and long time fans that this is a different universe from the anime's continuity.

It's also possible that the new characters might be easier to fit into whatever story they have planned for Ho Oh than it would be for Misty and Brock. It would have been nice to see Brock again, even though I'm still indifferent towards Misty, and I do understand the disappointment, but I'm okay with this. We could still get cameo appearances from them depending on if Ash is still doing the Gym battles in this movie. Plus, the new male trainer traveling with Ash has a Lucario, which means we get another Lucario in another Pokemon movie. More movie quality images of Lucario is always fantastic in my book.

I am curious about the old man since he has Red's hat and has a connection to Ho Oh too. It still seems like a pretty cool movie and I'll check it out whenever the dub comes out.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Other than that Ash is still 10 years old after about 20 years, has the Pokemon anime been a continuous anime since it first started or did they continuities ever branch out before?

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Seeing Ash's hat definitely did make it seem like they would want to change things in this case for the special, which really can affect the quality. I think that for most people they would have wanted the first season shortened into a movie or a new event happening in other cases in the first season.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In terms of the main anime series, it has been set in one universe from the start. The only exception would be the Victini movie because of how there were two versions of the plot to tie in with the the then new B/W games. People still kind of questioned whether or not the movies were canon prior to that movie, despite the show mentioning a few of them in the original series, but that was the only movie thus far that wouldn't really fit into the continuity of the series, or at least one of them had to be considered non-canon. This movie should also be an alternate universe retelling of Ash's journey.

There are different universes for The Pokemon Origins special and the Generations shorts too, but those are different from the main anime series anyway.

I think it would have been kind of hard to cover the first season within one movie. Maybe two movies could cover it, but I think that it would have potentially felt rushed if it was all under one movie. Although, I have seen people say that they would have preferred a SM movie if they weren't going to include Misty and Brock as part of the main cast, which I can still understand. The thought of them not appearing did come to mind when they didn't show Misty's bike in an earlier trailer, but a lot of people were still hopeful that they'd return. Even I just brushed that thought off since I figured that they'd save their reveals for another trailer.

Given the amount of anniversary specials and movies lately, I think a lot of people expected Pokemon to follow the same with using the whole main cast. That's what both Digimon Adventure Tri and Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions did for their anniversaries and they're widely praised among fans to boot. I can see why people expected that and the idea still sounds cool, but I don't think Misty and Brock not showing up is a huge deal breaker for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

The Satoshi series have continued consistently since 01 April 1997. There are side animated projects, though, like Pocket Monster: The Origin and Pokemon Generations (featuring numerous high level animators and directors). There were also the trailers for Black & White 2 and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, and some shorts that aired after episodes of XY animated by good animators.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I hope M21 will be the still-unaired "Battle for the Meteonite" episodes, since M20 retells the first anime episode.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I doubt that's going to happen for various reasons. For starters, I don't think that this movie is going to be just about the first episode of the anime. That is the setup, but the recent trailer does show how they're going to deviate from the first episode. It's not going to be the first episode stretched out to ninety minutes. There wouldn't be any marketing reason to suddenly focus on fifth generation material. If anything, the next movie could result in more focus on the fourth generation given that fans are hoping for/expecting D/P remakes somewhere down the road, especially when the new characters here have a Piplup and Lucario. At least with this movie, the focus is still on the anime's beginning because this is the 20th anniversary of the Pokemon anime itself.

It's been over six years since the Team Plasma two parter was skipped over and the fifth generation is no longer marketing relevant. I think it's time to let it go. I'd still love to read what their original plans for the two parter and by extension Team Plasma for the series were, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon. We already got Episode N. That's basically the best we can expect from Team Plasma as far as the main series is concerned.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

It's kinda funny that all the overreaction over Misty/Brock not being in the movie is mostly from people who stopped watching the anime for a decade or more anyway, so I'm not sure why they even care. That being said it is strange they would have two new characters seemingly not from any game on the cast, and with two popular Sinnoh pokemon like Piplup and Lucario of all things. While you can guess it might be subtle foreshadowing for a DP remake on the horizon, it still feels odd for that in a Kanto-centric movie. They could have even animated Leaf for the first time since she's never been in the anime and is actually from Kanto in the games, but oh well.

The funny thing is most of Japan doesn't care. While Japanese fans had an initial aspect of surprise like we did over Misty/Brock not being there, they moved on. Most of Japan loved Serena and Bonnie/Clemont recently, and prior to that Dawn was the most popular girl in Japan. I still see the Japanese post new stuff and fanart on their twitters about the XY cast, Dawn, and May....but virtually nothing for Misty and Brock. I think a lot of westerners need to realize Japan never favored Misty/Brock over the other companions, same reason Cilan was extremely popular there and why the writers brought him back for a special with Bonnie/Clemont. And this is addition to the fact that Misty hasn't been part of the anime for literally 15 years now, half the fanbase in Japan grew up watching the anime after she had been gone.

I'm happy Ho-oh is finally getting a movie role after 20 years though, this was long overdue. Should have had Ho-oh in a movie when HGSS came out by the latest. It's absurd it took so long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I watched Pokémon religiously from episode 1 to Master Quest when it premiered, obviously liking the two, yet I don't mind Brock and Misty being omitted from this film. However, I will mind if they don't give a proper explanation or if the new characters will lack depth/purpose and will be there just for the sake of shaking things up.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well the first trailer and the promotional artwork calling back to the original series would get people's attention, including those who haven't watched the series for a long time. They would care because they'd possibly get to see characters that they like in a new story. I'm not a huge fan of the original series or even the original trio as a group, but I can at least understand the basic appeal and why people would react more negatively to the latest news. It's really not that strange or confusing. Just because some of the people reacting to this news haven't watched the show in years doesn't mean that they shouldn't care or be disappointed to not see the original trio back together for a new adventure.

I also didn't expect them to stick to just Kanto Pokemon for the movie. They got to find some way to plug in current Pokemon, as well as possibly foreshadow D/P remakes, somehow. Admittedly, I wasn't sure about Marshadow showing up since they could have saved it for another movie, but I like that this Kanto will have different Pokemon in it. It could make the region feel bigger than if it just had the first generation Pokemon in it and it further helps to emphasize this movie as an alternate take on Ash's journey.

Really? Because I've heard a few comments from Japanese fans' twitter accounts and from other people who are a bit more aware of the Japanese fan community and the reactions were pretty similar. Perhaps the backlash wasn't as intense there as it was for western fans and/or they were more accepting of it, but saying that the Japan doesn't care seems inaccurate to me, especially when it's pretty easy to find Japanese fanart of Misty and Brock. Just because it isn't on their twitters doesn't mean that there's virtually no fanart for them.

As for Ho-Oh, I never really had a problem with it not having a movie. I always saw it as a Legendary Pokemon that was supposed to show how special Ash is. It didn't really need its own movie, but I'm fine with it getting one for the 20th anniversary.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how much depth the new characters can have. They only have a limited time and the focus is going to be on Ash and Pikachu. If Ash's friends are lucky if they even get to do anything in a movie, then giving new characters a chance to shine and be fleshed out will be especially difficult. They'll hopefully have some role to play, if only because fans would be more upset if they didn't bring Misty and Brock back if that happens, but it is kind of tricky to pull off in one movie. Some fans have speculated that they could have a series of movies featuring this Ash and his new friends. That would help to give the new characters more screentime and development, but I don't know if they'll go in that direction either.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. A Brisk Autumn Day

It's really odd that they would do this for a couple reasons.
    Throughout the series, there have been hints and flat out confirmation that a lot of time had passed since the start of Ash's journey. But since B/W, it was made canon that not much at all had, as Ash is still 10. So I don't exactly know how they'll handle this, it's kinda sad to think of things they may retcon out.
    Also, without the original voice cast which I much prefer for more than nostalgia (I could talk for pages about the voice actors), it's going to be a little disappointing as well.

I'm almost hoping it's not canon. Just a fun little throwback.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the hints and flat out confirmation that a lot of time has passed since the start of Ash's journey were mostly like from the dub. Even stuff like saying it was a whole year after they first made it to Viridian City was added in the dub. They did confirm that Ash is still ten, but I wouldn't take that to mean that all of the series have happened within less than a year. The only way that could work would be if a year is much longer in the Pokemon world than it is in our world, but there's no indication of that either. I prefer thinking that a lot of time has past, but none of the characters age. It might not make much sense, but I prefer that than thinking everything happened in less than a year's time.

I suspect that this movie will just be a retelling of Ash's story. It won't retcon characters out unless the SM series brings these movie characters into the mix at some point or something like that. It should be just an anniversary special and the movies rarely factor into the TV series that much as well.

14. A Brisk Autumn Day

I mean, I suppose, but I'm sure that hints of time have been made at least once or twice in the Japanese version. There are even a lot of little hints in the dub (and maybe the original Japanese versions) as well, such as Brock mentioning all the years of falling into Team Rocket's holes in the episode where Ash captures Corphish. Or other early episodes that suggest a few weeks, months, days, etc had passed. And as much as Ash has grown throughout the series (ignoring B/W), I just find it hard to accept the same cartoon logic that shows like the Simpsons use... T_T
    Edit: Or Gary mentioning how the pokémon league was a long time ago toward the end of the Orange Island arc.

#54 A Brisk Autumn Day, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The original version might have mentioned stuff like how many weeks it's been since Ash first started being a trainer back in early episodes of the Kanto arc, but they probably got rid of that once they decided to keep the anime going and make it an never ending journey. Stuff like Brock saying that they've been falling into Team Rocket's trap holes for years definitely sounds like something the dub would add in.

I'm still not too into the cartoon logic myself. One reason why I didn't think that the show functioned like that for so long was because the characters were traveling all the time instead of being in one spot most of the time like the Simpsons. Plus, I remember how fun it was to speculate on Ash's age, so I kind of miss that. I understand why they don't want Ash to age so that he can be around the age of the target demographic. I just would have preferred it if they kept it vague just so fans could still guess on how old he was exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. A Brisk Autumn Day

Or even retire him after having him really accomplish his goal (or at least a goal such as winning a league and becoming a truly powerful, accomplished trainer) for a season. Not saying that he should become a "pokémon master" or have nothing left to learn, though. Nothing wrong with him becoming an older experienced mentor for a new fun, cool character. But this could turn into a brand new discussion in and of itself, hahaha. I'm just hoping the film summarizes his adventures through Kanto like in Origins instead of severely truncating the story, making no indications there was more to it. :sweat:

Edit: Just read some of your other comments to other people too about it likely not being canon.

#56 A Brisk Autumn Day, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The idea of Ash being a mentor for a new lead character has been brought up in other similar discussion and it could potentially work. They'd have a new character and Ash would still be around, but I don't think that they're too interested in going in that direction at this point.

Based on the most recent trailer, I doubt that the movie is going to summarize his adventures. The inclusion of new characters and non-first generation Pokemon within Kanto kind of makes that seem much less likely to happen now, if not flat out confirms it won't be a summary movie. They may have a montage of Ash going through different Gyms within the movie, but I don't think we're going to cover the same adventures had in the original series.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if that's Ash catching Charmander, or if it's one of his new companions? And is that his Metapod/Butterfree :eek:?

With the changes they're already making to the original canon as far as Ash's design and original traveling companions, I'm curious how his team will look in this new continuity o_O.

We've obviously got Pikachu, but it's going to be interesting to see whether we get the original group or a completely new one for this movie.

It also looks like we have a new rival for Ash here, with an Incineroar, so I'm curious how Gary will factor into this, if at all :ack:.

Also looks like Pikachu is battling at the Celadon Gym, so we will see some Gym Battles, though I expect they'll mostly be breezed through ala Origins. Though they might spend a little more time on Pewter and Cerulean because of Brock and Misty :).

19. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Maybe time passes slower in the Pokémon world, for these characters, because they're constantly moving and on the go - similarly to relativity. Or perhaps it's all a dream. I too find it hard to accept and believe that it would all happen in just one year out of principle and think they chose that later on just because the show became a hit and they turned it into a soap opera where they want to keep the basics costant.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't call the series a soap opera. It's more like a never ending journey. They probably did want to have some sense of a passing of time at first, especially when the anime was originally going to be just the Kanto arc, but when they decided to keep it going, they decided to get rid of that.

The idea of everything being a dream has been a frequent fan theory for ages, but I'd find that to be way more upsetting than Ash never aging. It would actively say that none of the series ever happened and it would feel like such a major cop-out.