1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Presidential Election thread (Primary/Caucus Phase)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jan 7, 2016.

?

Which candidate for President do you most favor?

1. Donald Trump

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Ted Cruz

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Marco Rubio

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. John Kasich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ben Carson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hillary Clinton

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Bernie Sanders

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  8. None

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  9. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to another Presidential Election year!

We had an election thread four years ago, and we're going to continue the tradition here. This thread serves an important purpose for raising awareness of the issues, along with hopefully increasing voter participation.

To get you up to date, you may want to review the last thread, which focused on the "candidate declaration/early debate" phase of 2015, but now it's time for the full fledged year election push by the candidates!

Some key dates for the weeks ahead:

1. We are one week away from the next Republican Debate on January 14th, which marks the first debate of 2016.

2. The next Democratic debate is scheduled for January 17th.

3. In just a little over 3 weeks, we will see the Iowa caucus, which is scheduled for February 1st, marking it the start of voting (though caucuses differ from primaries in many regards).

4. We are a little over 1 month away from the New Hampshire Primary, which counts as the official first primary of the election year!

2. wonderfly

And now, a refresher on THE RULES:

1) Discussion should remain primarily on the 2016 Presidential Election. You can discuss the candidates' stand on issues, but do NOT go off on ideological RANTS and debates over issues. If a political topic of debate gains enough interest/discussion (examples: abortion, gun control, death penalty), a separate "debate" thread may possibly be created (but must be approved by moderators, please PM a Cafe mod first).

2) A discussion should not go more than "Post, Response, Reply to Response" as we don't need ongoing debates between two individuals that overtake the thread. Also, no picking apart someone else's post with a line by line reply over each point made in the other person's post. Pick one or two parts of the post to quote in your response, and that's it. We don't need a drawn out idealogical debate: You can believe what you want, and others can believe what they want, but realize that you probably won't be able to change their minds.

And the big no-no:

3). Name calling or belittling other forum members will not be allowed. Do not denigrate supporters of a candidate. Do not denigrate a state that supports a candidate in a primary. Do not denigrate the country if a candidate you disagree with wins a primary/caucus/general election. This is TROLLING or flamebait and may result in a warning or being banned. You can express your displeasure with the results of a poll or an election without resulting to name calling.

4). Do not respond to flamebait or troll posts yourself!! Report the offending posts and let the moderators do their job! This thread will be CLOSED if repeat violations occur, and warnings will be issued for violations as warranted! Just like four years ago, this is an experiment on the Cafe's part, but as long as you keep these rules in mind, then this thread should go smoothly.

5). About political cartoons- If you want to post more than one in the same post (or more than one on the same day), put them in spoiler tags. It makes it easier for people to navigate the thread.

This thread is mainly to raise political awareness and to get all of you over 18 to the polls! Enjoy, but keep things under control.

Thanks,

wonderfly

#2 wonderfly, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/sarah-palin-track-arrest-ptsd-obama-214359387.html

If she doesn't get smacked hard by the media, let alone the public at large, for this then I give up on society. Deflecting the blame for your son beating a woman up on the President, due to his PTSD caused by a war that the President BEFORE him was responsible for....this is beyond stupid, this is horrifying. Any respectable doctor would declare her insane now.

5. wonderfly

I always held Osama Bin Ladin and Saddam Hussein responsible for the wars. Oh hey, I hear 2003 calling! :frylock::moon2::blossom::brendon::raven:

Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, what Palin's saying. I expect her to come back and say "Yes, my son shouldn't have gone off like that, but President Obama still hasn't treated veterans right." Palin's words probably still help get armed service member votes for Trump.

6. stephane dumas

Speaking of Sarah Palin... http://www.mediaite.com/online/oops...-line-that-was-actually-quoting-someone-else/

Meanwhile Hillary Clinton clain then she's isn't part of the establishement while her husband Bill is at some random convention.

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

This isn't gonna help very much. A lot of the people on this list are famous for being liberal blowhards, so much so that other liberals can't stand them. (But where's Streisand?) And naturally Rosie would sign up for that list.

Between her, Moore, and Sarah Palin, it's like this event is bringing every annoying person from the last 40 years back into the spotlight at the same time. Within a week I expect to hear from Bieber, Cyrus (both Miley AND Billy Ray), Phyllis Schlafly, Pauly Shore, Carrot Top, Snooki, Jack Thompson, Mel Gibson, Paris Hilton, Iggy Azalea, Stephenie Meyer, the Amazing Atheist, Milli Vanilli, Charlie Sheen, Zombie Tammy Faye Bakker, and Barney the Dinosaur.

#7 Peter Paltridge, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, okay, and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s, like, incredible.” --Trump today

So, Trumpers, even HE thinks you're sheep. Does that change anything?

If he's correct, then it won't.

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

10. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Can't even argue that the DA is an "evil" democrat on a witch hunt. She's a dyed in the wool conservative appointed by Rick Perry himself, so watch the RINO and traitor talk start in con circles.

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

There's been talk of contempt of congress charges for Daleiden but did he ever offer testimony at that showtrial committee of theirs? As far as I know, all that was provided was the (now heavily debunked) video tape.

Either way, a second lawsuit was already filed by PP a week ago in California against the Center for Medical Progress over fraud and anti-defamation. This is going to be a huge boost for it.

#11 Lord Dalek, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  12. stephane dumas

There's one cartoonist who portrayed in a funny way, the fight between Trump and the old GOP establishement. (The controversal site Infowars posted a recent article about the cartoonist in question).

[​IMG]

13. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

That is something a cartoon villain would say : P

"Mwahaha! Even if I'd shoot someone, they would still obey me!"

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Ted got Iowa; wonder what Trump thinks of that. We won't have to wait long to hear...

15. wonderfly

Actually, Trump was surprisingly humble in his acceptance speech last night. And there were no mean tweets overnight from him.

I personally couldn't be happier with the voting: Cruz won, Trump didn't, and Rubio did surprisingly well. So even though Trump will likely win New Hampshire, this primary season is far from over, and I'm happy that the voters are going to explore the differences between these three candidates a bit more.

On the flip side, Hillary and Sanders are locked in a dead heat, signaling that will be a long and drawn out affair, so there won't be a "just hand the crown to Hillary" moment.

So on both sides, it's a win-win, in my book.

16. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

At least Rubio got to be a runner up even though everything about him seems to be from demographic meetings I still trust him more then Trump. I'might not to worried who will win either the only thing the federal government is good for is foreign policy

17. stephane dumas

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

19. wonderfly

Heh...well, okay, it just took him a couple days to get around to it...I think the complaints were started by the Ben Carson campaign, and Trump's just jumping on board to Carson's issue.

If people did buy into the rumor of "Carson dropping out" and change their vote, why would Trump think all of those votes went automatically to Cruz? Some might've gone to Trump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.