1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Presidential Election thread (Fall General Election phase)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jun 14, 2016.

?

Who will you vote for, for President of the United States?

1. Donald Trump (Republican)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Hillary Clinton (Democrat)

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Other (Independent/Third Party)

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Abstain

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote for Trump

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote for Clinton

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote "Other" (Independent/Third Party)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd abstain from voting.

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

This FBI situation is one of the most fascinating things I've seen in an election, in that both parties believe that Comey is working to help the other party. Democrats seem to believe Comey made the investigation public as a way of hurting Clinton days before the election, while Republicans believe Comey didn't file charges as a way of protecting Clinton despite the FBI wanting an indictment and only reopened this investigation to placate those people. Here's the truth, at least as far as I see it. Comey is NOT a liberal. He was appointed second in command under John Ashcroft, who was so conservative that he spent thousands of dollars of taxpayer money covering a nude statue. If there is any conspiracy here, I would have believe Comey announcing he reopened the investigation was a way of hurting Clinton in early voting, and that he is aiding Trump. But I'm not saying that's fact, I'm not saying I believe it, I'm just saying I find it impossible to believe he's aiding Clinton. This may even be a rare case where what you see is what you get and that Clinton truly isn't worthy of charges and Comey reopened the investigation and announced it honestly. For me, I think it's best to move on. We'll never know.

Okay guys, one more day. I want to hear sone predictions here, who do you honestly think will win?

2. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Not even the master hackers at wikileaks could find anything truly damningly newsworthy, just jerkish behavior we've seen on both sides.

If they had anything more, surely it would`ve come out by now and actioned on, such as the DNC chair stepping down over her emails earlier in the campaign. I doubt they're saving for something this late. A good percentage of the country has voted already.

As was said, peeps are pretty sure Comey is very Republican, which should be a good thing for people skeptical of the investigation.

Anyway, here's something I think we might all agree on: Howzabout we get rid of the electoral college? It serves no purpose anymore. It hasn`t for years. It literally makes people from some states worth more as people than others.

I`m honestly worried for people's safety if the election is close. God only knows what can happen if we have another 2000 situation on our hands, which has an approximate 10% possibility of happening due to the layout of voters in the states.

On tuesday, watch Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Trump NEEDS both to win. NC especially. If he dosen`t, the election will likely be called early.

3. Spideyzilla

Nothing newsworthy? There was plenty of newsworthy stuff.

-There were emails between the DNC and the Clinton campaign colluding to take down Sanders. Debbie Wasserman Schultz didn't resign for her health. Complete opposite of what democracy should be.

-The Clinton campaign discussed using Sanders' religion against him.

-Donna Brazile (the current DNC head) leaked debate question to Hillary Clinton ahead of time. That's horrible.

-Evidence (albeit not from Wikileaks) that the Clinton campaign was behind at least some of the violence at Trump rallies. People like to dismiss this as a conspiracy theory, but then why did the two guys in the video lose their jobs?

-Clinton admitting in her Wall Street speeches that she often lies about her opinion on issues.

That's just some. There's a simple reason it rarely makes the news: the parent companies of most of the major news corporations have donated millions to Clinton. Time Warner (CNN HBO), Disney (ABC), News Corp (Fox News, believe it or not), Comcast (NBC) and many others have donated to her. Everyone in the news, film and television business has donated to her. Haim Saban and Jeffrey Katzenberg just to name two. There's a reason you rarely hear this stuff on major media. Is it because they have liberal biases or love Clinton? Maybe, but not necessarily. They want to keep the gravy train rolling, and Clinton is the only way to do it. Trump's claims that he doesn't take corporate donors is inaccurate, but it is true Clinton has taken far more than he has, meaning the donors have some level of control over her. Then she can do their bidding. Tax breaks? You got it. It's legal bribery, and they don't want a loose cannon like Trump in there who they can't control. I'm not saying Trump is good, but there's a reason the establishment figures support Clinton. If it was up to them, this election would have been Clinton vs Bush: they would have won either way. It's all a symptom of the pathetic system in place.

I agree with your comments on how the states will break down. Clinton badly needs Colorado, Virginia and Pennsylvania. She also needs N. Carolina, though I think she may take that one. Pennsylvania may end up being the real battleground state this year. I predict whoever takes it will win the presidency.

4. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Just about all of the stuff you mentioned was about vs. Sanders, not vs. Trump. You can bet that if she was fed a debate question during the real debates, there would have been a gigantic storm. Much as I, a sanders supporter, would hate to admit, the race was hardly competetive between the two, even during the closest of times. It was always a foregone conclusion and nowehere near as competetive as the republican race. (2 candidates vs 8+)

I also did mention the DNC chair resigning. I've also read most of those stories on major news sites. Again, the reason they're not making more news is more because they have little to do with the current race Clinton vs Trump.

5. Spideyzilla

It doesn't matter whether it was for the general election. We have proof that the primary was unfairly rigged and that democracy was blocked. Would she have if they didn't play dirty? Likely. But it's not a sure thing. Yes, you see these things on major news sites, but they get a fraction of the airtime that they should get. So what if it isn't in regard to the general election? We have clear proof that Clinton overstepped her bounds to get her. Would the Patriots have gone on to win the Super Bowl even if they hadn't deflated balls against the Colts? Likely. Does it make the fact they deflated them okay? No.

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

7. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

But, can people honestly believe that a Trump Presidency will have less scandals? Because I sure can't.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. MDawg

Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow (Tuesday) is Election Day in the US. Google has a handy feature to help you get familiar with your local ballot by just typing in your address. Facebook has a similar feature as well. Make sure to check with your locality's own site for exact information since both sites may be missing some lower-ballot stuff.

Don't forget to know your local voting rules. A number of states do require ID, so just take one along with you to the polls. Check out Vote.org's detailed state-by-state listing of local voter ID laws for more information.

One last social-media thing before you go to the polls; if you want to take a selfie with your ballot for whatever reason, make sure your state allows that by checking out the Washington Post's handy chart.

[​IMG]

Edit: I think I can handle a 24-hour period of not being petty about things. How about the other side?

#448 MDawg, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

So I posted last week the latest poll results. With one day left till the election, I figured I'd post an update, and I'm going to focus on the same 4 polls that I follow (follow along yourself, if interested):

1. That LATimes/USC poll (again, this is the strange one that's been favorable to Trump for some time now) STILL has Trump up ahead by 5 points. It's been that way for days now. If we consider the "margin of error" to be within 3 percentage points then they have Trump ABOVE the margin of error.

I don't remember seeing this poll around 4 years ago, and so if they get this right and Trump wins by a significant enough percentage, these pollsters will be hailed as brilliant in their polling schemes. Here's an article by the New York Times back in October where they ripped apart the poll.

2. The ABCNews/Washington Post poll: As I said previously, Clinton's been in the lead in this poll for a long time (one time by as much as 12 points), but last week, Trump took a one point lead, for one day. Since then, Clinton's crept back into the lead, and now leads by 4 points over Trump.

NBC, CBS, CNN and FOX also have polls, but they don't post daily like ABCNews does...but their results are pretty much identical as of today: They all have Hillary ahead by 4 or 5 points. Again, if "3 to 4 points" is the margin of error, then they're pretty sure Trump doesn't stand a chance.

3. The Rasmussen poll: It's important to note they only poll Monday through Friday. It had Trump ahead one day last week, by 3 points. On Friday, it had the two candidates tied. Today, they have Clinton back ahead by 2 points.

4. The Investors Business Daily/TIPP poll (supposedly the most accurate of the last few election cycles): It had the two candidates tied for 3 or 4 days in a row, but yesterday they had Trump ahead by 1 point. This morning, they have Trump ahead by 2 points.

Now one thing I'm unsure of: Will there be one last batch of polls tomorrow morning, or was today the last of the polls? Because this is getting...interesting.

#449 wonderfly, Nov 7, 2016
  10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I made a map about one week ago. You may all praise or laugh at me later when it's over, if you want. :p

If you're wondering, Utah is neither red nor blue because I'm calling it for McMullin.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/3nZKP

And by the way, that'll be my protest vote tomorrow. My opinion is unchanged, I'm not going to be a drone for a candidate I can't even respect as a man. What Trump represents cannot be seen as a viable path to tread.

Incidentally, if you think I was harsh, just get a load of this one:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/dont-gamble-on-trump/506207/

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. wonderfly

Early voting data shows Clinton lags in North Carolina, compared to Obama in 2012.

This is one of the states that scares me, but...if Romney could pull off a win there, 4 years ago, I still think Trump can pull it off in that state, and this data help's reassure me.

EDIT: And some people always say Republicans are always in the tank for Wall Street. Well, it's pretty obvious with the rally today, following the news that the FBI cleared Hillary (again), just which candidate Wall Street supports.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #451 wonderfly, Nov 7, 2016
  12. MDawg

Well, it certainly helps that the GOP limited access to early voting on Sunday in primarily black areas for obviously non-racist reasons!

But yes, tell us again how this isn't systematic racism by the GOP at play.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Quite frankly, my advice would be to just be safe and not take one. You never know who will get hostile.

One genuine bit of advice, even if your state is blue on the map, make sure your county says it's okay. PA is listed as ambiguous- I know my county said NO WAY because the local paper made a big deal about it on the front page.

14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

15. wonderfly

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. wonderfly

Election Day is upon us! I think I'm going to close this thread on that note. Look for the start of the next thread here shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.