1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Presidential Election thread (Fall General Election phase)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jun 14, 2016.

?

Who will you vote for, for President of the United States?

1. Donald Trump (Republican)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Hillary Clinton (Democrat)

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Other (Independent/Third Party)

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Abstain

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote for Trump

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote for Clinton

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote "Other" (Independent/Third Party)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd abstain from voting.

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Land whale/Trump errand boy Chris Christie's aides have been found guilty of all charges in forcing a bridge to close down as political retribution for a local mayor not supported Christie's re-election campaign as governor of New Jersey. Expect Trump to tweet out about corrupt judges and dishonest juries soon.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

If you've been to a supermarket in the past couple months, you may have noticed how hard the tabloids have been pitching for Trump. There are some pretty heavy Trump supporters in charge of the Enquirer; their last issue before the election is out and it pulls out all the stops with headlines that say "HILLARY WILL DESTROY THE UNIVERSE" in large letters. Not that it matters since if you're the type of person who reads and believes tabloids, you were probably going to vote for Trump already.

This would be the worst case scenario -- an election so close that we'd be subjected to a repeat of 2000 AND THEY WOULDN'T GO AWAY. I know one of them is guaranteed to stay put, but does anyone want THIS election to go on even longer than normal?

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

That is a possibility.

I just don't see Clinton winning the popular vote and yet losing the electoral vote. But there is the possibility Trump's supporters turn out in droves in Red States, handing him the popular vote, but he still comes short in one of the crucial battleground states, thus costing him the election.

That would be a disaster, as it would be an inverse of the 2000 election. Trump would lead the rallying cry to "Tear down the electoral college".

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

5. wonderfly

It's the Friday before Election Day. 4 days until the election. Unless there's another bombshell in the next few hours, I suspect from here on out, it's just a mad scramble of final campaign rallies for both sides.

And so, here's my final prediction for election day results:

Let's go back to The Results of the 2012 election.

I predict again that Trump carries every single state Romney carried. No, Utah, Georgia and Texas do not go to the Democrats (or to a 3rd party candidate). And yes, Mitt Romney carried North Carolina, and it was super close, and I know it's going to be close this time around again, but I still expect Trump to carry North Carolina.

So from there, I predict Trump picks up the following (ranking them from "he'll carry the state pretty handily" to "it's going to be close. real close").

1. Ohio
    2. Iowa
    3. Nevada
    4. Florida

If everything else is the same from 2012, that gives Trump 265 electoral votes and Clinton 273 electoral votes. But polls in New Hampshire show Trump now tied with Clinton there, or he's pulling ahead (depending on which poll you look at). It's also where Trump plans on holding his final campaign rally on Monday night, the day before the election.

I predict Trump pulls it off and wins New Hampshire. He's much more popular there than Romney ever was. Bush carried New Hampshire in 2000, but not in 2004. I just think Trump can pull it off there.

So in the electoral college, that means: Trump would have 269 votes and Clinton has 269 votes. A tied electoral college goes to the House of Representatives to break the tie. Unprecedented, but wait! Maine (the next door neighbor to New Hampshire) is one of the few states that's electoral votes are not "winner takes all". There is a portion of Maine where Trump has been polling somewhat favorably, (District 2) and I think he picks off an electoral vote there. Trump wins.

I do expect it to be close enough that a recount is required, either in Florida, or New Hampshire, or North Carolina. Or all three. I think there is a 75% chance we wake up the day after Election Day and still don't have confirmation of who won (just like in 2000).

But I could be wrong, and maybe there IS a hidden "Trump vote" out there, and Trump wins pretty handily. I don't think he will carry Pennsylvania or Michigan, but polls have been tightening there. If there is a hidden "Trump Supporter" vote out there, he could pick off extra states.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I have a feeling this will happen should the election turn out the way it is likely to turn out, and quite frankly it is outright negligence. What happened to the Republicans who said right after Scalia died that they were not approving anyone Obama elected until after the election, to give the people a say in the Supreme Court? Well if the people make their choice and elect a Democratic president, what right do these Republicans have to go back on their word? What makes them think they can sit on their asses all day, "no no no" ing the nominees? They would be royally pissed if the situation were reversed, and their nominees were constantly rejected by the Democrats.

This is outright childish, and not what the founding fathers had in mind for our country.

7. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

The whole "let the people have a say in the supreme court appointment" is a terrible argument. The people had their say in 2012 and elected Obama. Period. He is president until January 2017, and he hasn't lost his power. Don't want Garland? Great. Give him a hearing and reject him the right way.

8. wonderfly

The article SB20xx linked to says right from the start "my conservative friends will say that this kind of talk is just fear-mongering and exaggeration."

Well yeah. It's liberal fear speculation on what's to come.

I personally have no problem with a President not getting to pick a Supreme Court justice in his last year in office. But if Hillary Clinton wins, she gets to pick the nominees. That's how it works. And Democrats had no problem suggesting they would oppose ANY Bush nominee in 2007/08, Bush's last 2 years in office.

Having said that, Republicans may oppose a Hillary Clinton nominee (they're not supposed to just rubber stamp whoever Clinton submits), and they may even vote against a nominee, but Clinton is allowed to submit another, and another, until the spot is filled. That's what happened when the Democrat controlled Congress opposed and defeated Reagan's nominee Robert Bork in 1987, but Reagan's next nominee, Anthony Kennedy, did get approved.

Moving on:

If the electoral college is close or tied, there is one Washington State elector (a Democrat), who has vowed he won't vote for Hillary. Or Trump, but yeah...Democrat opposition to Hillary is real.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Okay, but the Supreme Court justices was just one of the issues raised in the article. What about the deliberate voter suppression? The FBI trying to influence the election? Both of those are kind of a big deal.

And Trump claims the election is rigged. Yeah, it is. Against Democrats.

#429 SB20xx, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  10. wonderfly

11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

That person needs to be fined, removed, and a new person elected to fill their place. If they can't do the job they were elected to fill, then they don't deserve to have that job. Obviously this won't happen in time for the election, but they still need to be removed as being unwilling to follow the directives of their constituents. Rules of the electoral college.

Besides, if he doesn't think Hillary will protect his land and his elements, what makes him think Trump will? Republicans haven't had the best track record with environmental issues either, they don't even believe in climate change or spending for the EPA. Best bet for him is to just do his job and resign after the fact.

12. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

#432 PinkiePie97, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  13. Action!

Action! Active Member

Let's hope she wins.

14. wonderfly

These were being handed out in the church lobby last week, to whoever wanted one. Kind of sums up my reasons for voting the way I do in this election:

[​IMG]

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Here's my prediction based on recent polls (November 1st and after), if polls came out before, or were too close, I went with which party the state voted for consistently since 1992. If they hadn't voted consistently, I left it blank.

[​IMG]
    If Clinton wins one more state then she wins, but if Trump wins the rest of those swing states, then he wins. Again, assuming my predictions are accurate.

They never broke up a tie, but the House of Representatives did pick the president in 1824, since no one made it to the required number of electoral votes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

This only makes Clinton more desirable, sadly (to me, anyway) - too bad she and those funding her need to be stood up against, by voting for Trump. It's about burning down a system that has failed and will continue to fail, TBH, if allowed to continue.

I'm all for respecting women's rights (abortion, Planned Parenthood, and the like need to be more open and cheaper to those truly having trouble with such issues.) and LGBTQs (it's wrong that they can't get married to whom they love without some Religious fundie telling them no and they're going to Tartarus - As a Christian-taught person, this offends and angers me!). However,... Yeah - Healthcare and education are god-awful in this country and the only real way to deal with both is to NOT make them for-profit like they are now (Healthcare and Education would be much, much cheaper if it were paid through our taxes, as well as single-payer (Healthcare, to be specific.).).

Regardless of who wins, civil rights will continue to be rolled back and minorities (which I'm apart of - seeing as I'm black) in general (which includes LGBTQs as well), until things get challenged at the local and state levels, which is NOT happening (and about to get worse), due to how the GOP is likely to hold the House for longer than they deserve to and Dems are not only going to lose the Senate, but be kicked out of offices all across the nation (in a likely worse case scenario.).

I fear we could very well be under Christian Sharia Law by the time this is over with - even with Trump in power and not some establishment figure like Clinton comes off, due to the GOP not wanting to diversify and (I don't know...) NOT be a bunch of racists and sexists who immediately judge me just because of my skin color, for example!

#436 I.R. Shokew, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

These are actually common in churches. My parents pick up a pamphlet every year that just tells them who to vote for and they do it. They might as well, because all their voting decisions are based on repealing Roe V. Wade. "State treasurer? I dunno....will he overturn Roe V. Wade?"

Trump will definitely not overturn Roe V. Wade and there is no chance he's going to reverse same-sex marriage. This is a boilerplate list of fundie politics that they apparently apply to every candidate no matter what they're actually like. Sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

19. wonderfly

sigh. Well, Rush Limbaugh predicted this as a possibility.

Short transcript of a segment from Limbaugh's show, on Monday, October 31st:

"But let me ask you a question. I asked this as just a test question when people came up to me over the weekend, I said, "Let me ask you a question. What happens --" 'cause they're all excited about it. People are like "Oh, this is great, this Comey guy is finally doing something right, and you know there is something there, Rush. You know they wouldn't do it if there's not something there. There's gotta be something really there."

Let me ask you a question. How are you gonna feel if Wednesday or Thursday Loretta Lynch bops out or Comey bops out with another appearance and says they have wrapped up the investigation and they found nothing? How are you gonna feel? No, this Wednesday or Thursday, before the election. If this week, if they announce, if Comey comes back out, "Hey, you know, we've gone through those 650,000 emails on the perv's laptop and, while we thought we saw something and it warranted an investigation, there's nothing there."

And everybody I asked that question, their faces fell, and they said, "Do you think that's what's gonna happen?" I said, "No, I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know what's gonna happen."

"It can't happen, Rush, this investigation, it can't happen one way or the other before the election, they can't conclude it." They can't? Who are we talking about here? Who are we talking about? No, we are not talking about the FBI. We're talking about the establishment. We are talking about the elites. We are talking about the people who run the country. Are you telling me they can't do something like this?"

/end transcript

Well, they're still investigating the Clinton foundation. And I think it still helps Trump's overall message this last week: That a Clinton Presidency will be nothing but one scandal and investigation after another.

20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

As the election draws nearer, I continue to stand by my choice of Hilary.

But this election has divided every single American; bigotry has allowed to have become much more prevalent than it was before, and the worst sides of us are coming through in ways we didn't think were still there. As an Hispanic American myself, my family has felt unwelcome and while my father can tend to be dramatic to put it mildly, his fears come from a very real place of hurt, which has been felt by other social classes, like African Americans, and most especially those of Islamic decent. But no matter who wins we cannot let this mentality prevail, we won't. While I don't agree with those who support Trump, theirs comes from a very real place of fear too, not out of bigotry. The fear of not finding a stable job for themselves or their family, that the cost of life may become too much, that our involvement with foreign has landed us all in hot water for too long. We're all afraid, the scars of 9/11, the housing crisis and recession are all still there whether we all want to admit it or not. Not helped by all the carnage this year spit out, with the mass shootings, police brutality, various powers becoming more antagonistic, and so much more.

We're a lost and fearful people, but we aren't dead. I don't want to be afraid moving forward no matter who gets elected. I don't want to be afraid of my neighbors and I don't want anyone else to be either. We're all human, we all have the same feelings rattling around in us. And I know deep down we can all be better than what we have been.

#440 AnotherRandomGuy, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.