1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Presidential Election thread (Fall General Election phase)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by wonderfly, Jun 14, 2016.

?

Who will you vote for, for President of the United States?

1. Donald Trump (Republican)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Hillary Clinton (Democrat)

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Other (Independent/Third Party)

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Abstain

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote for Trump

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote for Clinton

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd vote "Other" (Independent/Third Party)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. I'm ineligible to vote (due to age, nationality, etc) but I'd abstain from voting.

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the 3rd thread devoted to 2016 Presidential Election here on the Cafe! To review the 2016 Presidential Primaries Discussion thread click here!

We also had an election thread four years ago, and so we're going to continue the tradition here. This thread serves an important purpose for raising awareness of the issues, along with hopefully increasing voter participation.

Some key dates for the weeks ahead:

1. The Republican convention is scheduled for July 18th - July 21st.

2. The Democrat convention is scheduled for July 25th - July 28th.

3. The first Presidential debate (between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is scheduled for September 26th.

4. The key to winning the Presidential election is capturing 270 electoral votes. Pay attention to polling in the swing states!

Comments?!?

2. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

I don't know if I should think about there's something fishy or about "It's happening" meme. There's that interview who was broadasted on CNN where Mitt Romney said he's not ruling out voting for Gary Johnson.

3. wonderfly

4. stephane dumas

And it could had been worse, there was a British young guy who wanted to kill Trump but failed. Then Trump campaign had started with 1.3 million in the bank after making another 2.2 millions loan.

I guess the Simpsons' prediction from the episode "Bart to the future" might not come true.

And here an editorial toon from Ben Garrison.

Edit: I saw a video via a mention on the website Before it's News, where Wikileaks founder Julian Assange did some rants about Brexit, Trump and Hillary on the British TV show "Preston on Sunday" broadcasted on ITV.

Edit #2: I saw that archived headline of the Drudge Report with a cover of the NY Post titled "Grillary"
    https://archive.is/eJjkv The F.B.I. interview Hillary about her private email server.

#4 stephane dumas, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  5. wonderfly

Nate Silver predicts Hillary Clinton has a 79% chance of winning the election. (he's the guy that predicted Obama would win in 2012 due to studying polls and using fancy mathematical equations).

The problem? Nate Silver incorrectly predicted that Donald Trump would NOT win the Republican nomination.

After the bad month that Trump just had, I suppose his prediction feels right, but...we're at halftime. There's still a lot of game left to be played.

EDIT: The FBI says it will not push for Hillary Clinton to be indicted. How predictable.

[​IMG]

#5 wonderfly, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  6. stephane dumas

#6 stephane dumas, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  7. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

It should be noted that Nate Silver's prediction on Trump not winning the nomination was NOT based on any kind of mathematical equations or polling analysis that he has done in the past that has resulted in his largely correct record of picking winners. It was merely a gut feeling based on how candidate like Trump traditionally fare in these things. He tried to play the pundit that he normally rails against and failed miserably at it. This should not in any way reflect on his normal statistical analysis and its impressive record.

That said, during the Democrat primaries, using his fancy math, he predicted several states were sure wins for Hillary that Sanders wound up winning (most notably Michigan), so maybe this is the year that Mathematics fails humanity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. stephane dumas

#8 stephane dumas, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

#9 MDawg, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  10. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Pence isn't just boring. He's a brainless yes-man that has trouble controlling his own state even though Republicans have control of pretty much the entire state government. Not to mention his ridiculous religious freedom bill that had civil rights activists and business leaders lined up against him. I have a feeling I'm going to be embarrassed to be a Hoosier for the next few months.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. wonderfly

Yeah, but c'mon...if Trump had picked "Newt", you'd still call him "boring old white guy", right?

If this is true (and it's starting to creep onto Fox News and CNN websites), then it's an appeal to the conservative base. A safe pick, but a good pick, as far as most conservatives feel (or so I would say)...it also assures that Pence will run for President in 4 to 8 years.

12. stephane dumas

13. wonderfly

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

Hillary: Corrupt, brought and paid for by Goldman Sachs, George Soros and Wall Street, has tons of political experience but no stranger to the international community and very well known for her work on the world's stage. Electing Hillary will be an "Obama Third Term"

Trump: Loudmouth, controversial, arrogant and has no political experience but is an intelligent businessman and he's against the current political-economic establishment. Electing Trump will be America's equivalent to "Brexit".

#15 RegularCapital, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  16. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

If you think Trump is an intelligent businessman, you might want to search for proof of that. You're likely going to find the opposite.

17. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

He's a billionaire, he obviously not as stupid as he's made out to be as presented in the media. Obviously, he's made some smart decisions to get where he is today. I'm not saying that his fortune means anything, I'm saying he has the determination to be successful in what he does.

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Well, for one thing, Trump started out rich. Not as rich as he is now, but rich enough to make a big influential difference. For another, his early investments were in New York real estate, which is basically printing money if you can get it. You can be dumb as a post and still make millions per day.

Third, Trump keeps hiding his financial information from the press. Every other candidate has been open about it. He may not be nearly as successful as he claims. Fourth, I highly suspect he's developing dementia; I know people with it and I know what it sounds like.

Finally, I'm going to have to remind you Trump is a bigoted psychopath who will wind up causing World War III and kill us all. I'm no fan of Hillary, but she has physically been in the White House already, and she had her chance to destroy the world and didn't take it. At least with her I won't DIE.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Since when do American citizens get killed in a World War? Does any American know how it feels like to see tanks destroying your city? Does any American know how it feels like to have family members who survived living in a concentration camp?

Heck, no one would be voting for Trump if Americans realized how terrible war really is.

#19 Red Arrow :D, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  20. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

To slam home how unintelligent Trump is, an analysis was done on what would happen if Trump had taken his inheritance and just invested it instead of starting his little ventures. Conclusion: he actually would have made more money by not trying to be a businessman. And that's with him stiffing the little guys, the guys he's now running to "protect." The list of contractors he's stiffed is quite long.

As for Pence, his signature "Religious Freedom" law...his hometown of Columbus hated that piece of refuse. One of the state's biggest manufacturing employers headquartered there denounced it right off the bat. And to add to the hilarity, his mother is ecstatic that he's been nominated for VP. Not that surprising except that this is the same mother whose advice he hid behind when he turned down running for President. Yes, he cited his mother for why he didn't join the primary race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.