2014 World Cup Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by RandomMe, Jun 11, 2014.

1. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

[​IMG]
    For those who are interested in this year's soccer (or football) World Cup, I thought that a thread about that was needed and there you go. This thread will be used to discuss the World Cup, which starts tomorrow and ends on July 13th.
    Tomorrow: the opening ceremony and the first match: Brazil vs. Croatia.
    TIMES FOR THE OPENING CEREMONY:
    11:30 - PST
    14:30 - EST
    17:30 - São Paulo (where the first match will be held)
    19:30 - WET

2. Mariana

Mariana Active Member

Can't wait for this! <3 I'll watch only one live match in 14/06 Colombia X Greece in Belo Horizonte. :)

3. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I can't wait too.

4. Moto Pete

Moto Pete Do You Believe!!!!!!!!!!!

Usa .......

5. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I doubt the ol' Stars & Stripes can make it out of Group G, but I'll still root for them the whole time.

6. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

No host nation has ever lost its opening match in the World Cup. Considering that (as far as I understand it) Brazil is essentially the New York Yankees of soccer/football, I wondering if that record will continue in this World Cup. In any case, this World Cup is sure to be "muito bem" (or "muito legal"; whichever phrase is appropriate)...

7. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

It will also be "memorável".

8. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    US is not going anywhere this year (Group of Death, and all...) - this is going to be a fiasco for fans of them. Sigh.....

I'm rooting for both Argentina and the Netherlands, personally.

9. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

A few minutes left for the opening ceremony to start. The first match - Brazil vs. Croatia will start at 21:00 in my timezone (16:00 EST/13:00 PST).

10. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Sorry for the double post but the first game just started: Brazil vs. Croatia. As I already said, the match is held in São Paulo, at the Arena Corinthians stadium.

11. sag_2002

sag_2002 Active Member

Brazil 3
    Croatia 1

Well, the 20th World Cup got off to a very interesting start. The hosts found themselves down early thanks to an 11th-minute own goal, but Neymar equalized with a shot that just had enough to sneak in the net. Brazil got the 2nd in very controversial circumstances, as Fred convinced the referee he was tripped in the box when he obviously flopped. Neymar got the penalty past the keeper (who got a piece of it, but was unable to keep it out) for the deciding goal. Another missed call in the 82nd minute denied Croatia the equalizer, and Oscar sealed the game in stoppage time to give Brazil the first 3 points of the competition.

12. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    So, Brazil cheated, overall - brilliant. Now I want them to lose. BADLY.

13. Mariana

Mariana Active Member

Unfortunately they did it. :(

But I want them to win. Let's see how the event will grow.

14. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Plus a first in World Cup history: the host country lost to Croatia for a few minutes.

15. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

Already a huge game tomorrow with the rematch of the 2010 World Cup final, Spain vs. the Netherlands. I'm still sour that my Dutch team lost that game in extra time (Robben had the game on his boot!) so hoping they get some redemption here, especially after how godawful they were in the 2012 Euro.

Historically, all six World Cups held in the Americas were won by South American teams, and I can easily see Brazil, Argentina, or Uruguay taking the prize. However, never count out Spain, or the German machine. One team to watch is Belgium, they've got an admittedly easy group, and they are chock full of up-and-coming young talent. Could make a real impact.

16. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Every game will air on ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC in English while the Spanish broadcasts will be simulcast between Univision/ Univision Deportes and UniMas/ Galavision. ESPN Deportes will broadcast most matches in Portugese. ESPN Radio has full US English Radio rights and is how I will catch most of the World Cup on weekdays.

English announcing assignments for Week 1 (through June 19) have been posted on my sports blog:
    Eye on Sky and Air Sports: 2014 World Cup Week 1 US TV & Radio Schedule

While ESPN didn't cover the opening ceremonies, which I would have enjoyed seeing, they did air on Univision/Univision Deportes.

Now while I will be rooting for the US, I do have them falling in the first round. My pick to win it all is Brazil since they are one of your traditional powers, and they will certainly have the homefield advantage every game. I'm hoping they improve after yesterday's sad performance though.

17. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

Here in Portugal, only the matches with Portugal's national team and the final are broadcast on the radio, don't know why.
    TODAY'S MATCHES:
    Mexico vs. Cameroon (12:00 EST/09:00 PST - Natal)
    Spain vs. the Netherlands (15:00 EST/12:00 PST - Salvador)
    Chile vs. Australia (18:00 EST/15:00 PST - Cuiabá)

18. Mariana

Mariana Active Member

No matches on TV? O_O

I'll watch all the 64 matches. G_G Nothing to do in my vacations. :(

19. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

@Mariana: No. Only a few matches air on the radio and we don't have any sports radio stations in Portugal.
    I was talking about how Portuguese radio stations air it.
    I watched the first match on RTP 1 yesterday. The match that just ended aired exclusively on SPORT.TV 1 (unrelated to the Brazilian channels), a pay channel. The two other matches will air on RTP 1 over here as well.
    Minutes ago, an RTP presenter talked about some controversy regarding DIlma Rouseff and he said that Globo viewers (thankfully) couldn't listen to it!o
    Now I have to deal with two matches in the coming evenings.

20. RegularCapital

RegularCapital Well-Known Member

Spain vs Netherlands will be the next match. The first two matches were broadcast by ITV in the UK, however the next match is broadcast by the BBC, they'll do a better job, they have a better team of commentators and usually their presentation is top notch. England will probably exit the tournament at the quarter-finals, this is usually the case, congrats to the host nation (Brazil) for winning the match last night. :)

The UK has four national football teams, mainly because the FA was founded before FIFA. :D