2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Talkback & Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by bigddan11, Apr 9, 2012.

1. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's that time of year again. The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs begin this Wednesday. For the first time in the history of the NHL, every game will be televised nationally in the US and Canada. Thanks to the new contract with NBC every game will be on NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC, or NHL Network in the US and on CBC or TSN in Canada. First Round games will also be televised by local partners, meaning all the games except those on NBC will be blacked out so you have to watch them on your local provider instead of watching the national broadcast feed. The first round is the only round that will be available to local broadcasters. The full schedule was announced yesterday, so it's time to post it and begin making our predictions.

EASTERN CONFERENCE FIRST ROUND MATCHES
    [​IMG] (8) Ottawa Senators vs. (1) New York Rangers [​IMG]

Ottawa won the regular season series 3-1
    Game 1- RANGERS 4, SENATORS 2
    Game 2- SENATORS 3, RANGERS 2 (OT)
    Game 3- RANGERS 1, SENATORS 0
    Game 4- SENATORS 3, RANGERS 2 (OT)
    Game 5-SENATORS 2, RANGERS 0
    Game 6- RANGERS 3, SENATORS 2
    Game 7- RANGERS 2, SENATORS 1- New York wins series 4-3

[​IMG] (7) Washington Capitals vs. (2) Boston Bruins [​IMG]
    Washington won the regular season series 3-1
    Game 1- BRUINS 1, CAPITALS 0 (OT)
    Game 2- CAPITALS 2, BRUINS 1 (2OT)

Game 3- BRUINS 4, CAPITALS 3
    Game 4- CAPITALS 2, BRUINS 1
    Game 5- CAPITALS 4, BRUINS 3
    Game 6- BRUINS 3, CAPITALS 2 (OT)
    Game 7- CAPITALS 2, BRUINS 1 (OT)- Washington wins series 4-3

[​IMG] (6) New Jersey Devils vs. (3) Florida Panthers [​IMG]
    Season series split 2-2
    Game 1- DEVILS 3, PANTHERS 2
    Game 2- PANTHERS 4, DEVILS 2
    Game 3- PANTHERS 4, DEVILS 3
    Game 4- DEVILS 4, PANTHERS 0
    Game 5- PANTHERS 3, DEVILS 0
    Game 6- DEVILS 3, PANTHERS 2 (OT)-
    Game 7- DEVILS 3, PANTHERS 2 (2OT)- New Jersey wins series 4-3

[​IMG] (5) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (4) Pittsburgh Penguins [​IMG]
    Flyers won the regular season series 4-2
    Game 1- FLYERS 4, PENGUINS 3 (OT)
    Game 2- FLYERS 8, PENGUINS 5
    Game 3- FLYERS 8, PENGUINS 4
    Game 4- PENGUINS 10, FLYERS 3
    Game 5- PENGUINS 3, FLYERS 2
    Game 6- FLYERS 5, PENGUINS 1- Philadelphia wins series 4-2

WESTERN CONFERENCE FIRST ROUND MATCHES
    [​IMG] (8) Los Angeles Kings vs. (1) Vancouver Canucks [​IMG]

Season series split 2-2
    Game 1- KINGS 4, CANUCKS 2
    Game 2- KINGS 4, CANUCKS 2
    Game 3- KINGS 1, CANUCKS 0
    Game 4- CANUCKS 3, KINGS 1
    Game 5- KINGS 2, CANUCKS 1 (OT)- Los Angeles wins series 4-1

[​IMG] (7) San Jose Sharks vs. (2) Saint Louis Blues [​IMG]
    Blues won the regular season series 4-0
    Game 1- SHARKS 3, BLUES 2 (2OT)
    Game 2- BLUES 3, SHARKS 0
    Game 3- BLUES 4, SHARKS 3
    Game 4- BLUES 2, SHARKS 1
    Game 5- BLUES 3, SHARKS 1- St. Louis wins series 4-1

[​IMG] (6) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (3) Phoenix Coyotes [​IMG]
    Coyotes won the regular season series 3-1
    Game 1- COYOTES 3, BLACKHAWKS 2 (OT)
    Game 2- BLACKHAWKS 4, COYOTES 3 (OT)
    Game 3- COYOTES 3, BLACKHAWKS 2 (OT)
    Game 4- COYOTES 3, BLACKHAWKS 2 (OT)
    Game 5- BLACKHAWKS 2, COYOTES 1 (OT)
    Game 6- COYOTES 4, BLACKHAWKS 0- Phoenix wins series 4-0

[​IMG] (5) Detroit Red Wings vs. (4) Nashville Predators [​IMG]
    Season series split 3-3
    Game 1- PREDATORS 3, RED WINGS 2
    Game 2- RED WINGS 3, PREDATORS 2
    Game 3- PREDATORS 3, RED WINGS 2
    Game 4- PREDATORS 3, RED WINGS 1
    Game 5- PREDATORS 2, RED WINGS 1- Nashville wins series 4-1

And now for some predictions. We all know my predictions tend to be wrong, but there's no harm in guessing, is there?
    Rangers over the Senators in 6
    Bruins over the Capitals in 7
    Devils over the Panthers in 6
    Flyers over the Penguins in 6
    Canucks over the Kings in 5
    Blues over the Sharks in 4
    Coyotes over the Blackhawks in 7
    Red Wings over the Predators in 6

And those regional networks that will carry the games:
    New York Rangers- MSG Network
    Boston Bruins- NESN
    Florida Panthers- SUN Sports/ Fox Sports Florida (select games)
    Pittsburgh Penguins- ROOT Sports Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia Flyers- Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia
    New Jersey Devils- MSG+
    Washington Capitals- Comcast SportsNet DC
    Ottawa Senators- RDS (Rogers Sports Net)
    Vancouver Canucks- RDSI (Rogers Sports Net)
    Saint Louis Blues- FS Midwest
    Phoenix Coyotes- Fox Sports Arizona
    Nashville Predators- Sport South/ FS Tennessee
    Detroit Red Wings- Fox Sports Detroit
    Chicago Blackhawks- Comcast SportsNet Chicago
    San Jose Sharks- Comcast SportsNet California
    Los Angeles Kings- Fox Sports West

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

senators/rangers - RANGERS
    capitals/bruins - BRUINS
    devils/panthers - DEVILS
    flyers/penguins - FLYERS

i think, hope, and want the flyers to win the series. but i'm honestly not going to be surprised if they loose this one like the last 2 times they've played the jackass penguins (nhl playoff thread newbies - that's a real type of penguin, look it up). although, i think this team is better than those last two times, but it wont matter until we beat the jackass penguins in a playoff series. the april 1st flyers/penguins game was awesome. the fighting, the coaches getting into it, and crosby and malkin getting called out for being the punks that they are. the rangers' coaches' comments after they played the penguins a few days later was also awesome. i hate crosby and malkin, and hate them even more after the events of april 1st. the only way i can describe my hate for them are using innapropriate words that can't be said on the forum. i hope they get career ending injuries in this series (and before you think or call me a bad fan for wishing harm on them, i bet people wished career ending harm on eric lindros after the famous scott stevens hit. i'm not going to be made an example of when fans of other teams no doubt feel the same way about opposing players on rival teams). i laugh every time i see crosby's winter classic concussion hit, and i hope we get hits from this series to add to his highlight reel. i also hope someone shows him a real cross check and not that love tap he got on april 1st that he wouldnt shut up about. plus, if your nhl home team is one of the american teams, you should hate crosby too since he's the reason why team canada beat team usa in the 2010 olympics.

kings/canucks - CANUCKS
    sharks/blues - BLUES
    blackhawks/coyotes - BLACKHAWKS
    red wings/predators - RED WINGS

i feel the canucks are officially overrated now (i didnt really feel they were so hot the years before last year either). they had their chance in the cup final, but blew it. even if they win it, i'll still think they're somewhat overrated. then there's the kings. i think the kings are better, but this has been an off season. so vancouver should take care of this one. i wont be surprised either way though. although, there's something about the kings i'm not particularly fond of. you thought i hated crosby and malkin? well, i hate them because they're the rivals. i have legimate hate for jeff carter and mike richards. i'm glad they are no longer on the flyers. jeff carter is a BUM! he was a bum in philly and will be a bum in every city he plays in for the rest of his career. i never liked carter period, and his attitude after he got traded and "playing" for columbus was totally childish. good riddance to him. then there's mike richards. i liked him in philly and wished he didnt get traded. although, it's now quite obvious if he didnt and carter did, richie would have just sulked around because his boyfriend wasn't on the team anymore. i really hope columbus got the better end of the deal that gave carter to the kings. it's totally unacceptable that these 2 guys are back on the same team again.

3. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

Oh, hello NHL playoffs. What's this, my team is back in the playoffs?

Senators/Rangers: Senators in 7
    Little bias here. I worship the Sens, but I do see them upsetting here. The Rangers have obviously had a great season, but Ottawa did too. They finished eighth in the East, but they were supposed to finish last in the league. It's amazing they're in the playoffs. The Rangers just don't match up well against Ottawa. They're 1-3 against the Senators this year, and their lineup lacks Sens Killers like Tim Thomas. It will be tough and it won't be pretty, but I can see an upset here.

Capitals/Bruins: Bruins in 5
    Yes, Washington had a good stretch of late, but I still see Boston winning this handily. Tim Thomas has a tendency to get hot at just the right time, and the Bruins have had a good season. Zdeno Chara is doing a great job of leading them. Sorry Ovie, but I don't see it happening.

Devils/Panthers: Devils in 7
    Good for Florida on making the playoffs, ending the longest playoff drought in NHL history. Still, the honeymoon is not to last. I just think New Jersey has a better overall team. The Panthers will be a strong team in years to come, but not just yet.

Flyers/Penguins: Penguins in 7
    Oooh, tough one. These are two very good hockey teams and it could go either way. If Sidney Crosby can stay healthy and if Evgeni Malkin keeps doing what he's doing, Pittsburgh has got this. But Philly will not just go away. Claude Giroux is having the season of a lifetime and Jaromir Jagr is doing good. I say Pens in 7, but it will be fun to watch. I like both of these teams a fair bit, and it's too bad one is going in the first round.

Kings/Canucks: Canuck in 4
    Not even close. President's Trophy winner versus an eighth seed? Vancouver has had a strong year, and a healthy Daniel Sedin will lay on the hurt if he can come back. I do think LA has a very good goaltender in Jonathan Quick, but Vancouver is going to come out flying. If Luongo is on his game this one will not be close.

Sharks/Blues: Blues in 6
    Another tough one. San Jose has some high quality players, but St. Louis has been a wrecking ball of late. The St. Louis Blues second in the West? Last year that would have seemed silly. The fact they had a weak start makes them even better to get to where they are. St. Louis is too powerful for the Sharks.

Blackhawks/Coyotes: Blackhawks in 7
    A tough one, but I stand by my call, but that depends a lot on Jonathan Toews. If he's healthy, watch out.

Red Wings/Predators: Red Wings in 6
    Both good teams, but the Red Wings are just better in my opinion. Should be fun though.

4. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Eastern Conference:

Rangers in 5
    Bruins in 6
    Panthers in 7
    Flyers in 4 (rule of law states that I cannot pick the Penguins, no matter what the given circumstance... so there you go)

Western Conference:

Canucks in 5
    Sharks in 7 (BLUES ARE OVERRATED, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST)
    Coyotes in 7
    Red Wings in 6 (God willing...)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I like that rule and fully agree with it. :D

Looking forward to the Playoffs. Naturally, I'm rooting for my Sharks, although I'm not as confident about their chances as I'd like to be. This was just a bad season for the boys in teal. Still, I'll be cheering them on.

6. Spideyzilla

Whoa, the Flyers actually won. Colour me surprised.:eek:

7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Philly sure likes their comebacks. I love Nashville fans, they are just the most fun crowd in the NHL come playoff time. Although that was really stupid thing Shea Webber did and he should probably be suspended for that.

Nucks are on the verge of losing the opener but they're only down one and it looks like theyre going with the extra attacker so we'll see.

8. DarkGojira

DarkGojira What are you staring at?

All right, time for my picks:

Rangers over the Senators in 6

Reason: I haven't paid that much attention to either of these teams, but I do believe that the Rangers have enough tools to beat the Senators in this series. And I think the crowds in Madison Square Garden will be a huge factor for the Rangers.

Bruins over the Capitals in 6

Reason: For the record, I don't think that the Bruins will repeat this year. Still, I do see them winning as they seem to have the better tools. Alex is a great player, but I don't think he'll save his team this time.

Devils over the Panthers in 6

Reason: Again, I didn't follow these two teams as much, though I do applaud the Panthers for finally making the playoffs. Still, the Devils win on the count of experience. Sorry, Florida, but you guys might need one more year in order to advance into the next round.

Flyers over the Penguins in 7

Reason: I think Sidney Crosby is a great player, and that this may be the toughest series in the first round, but I believe that the Flyers might ultimately get it done here. The rivalry between these two teams is intense, and I could see the Flyers being more hungrier than the Penguins to advance. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if it's the Penguins who emerge as victors in this series.

Kings over the Canucks in 7

Reason: I just think the Canucks, being winners of the Presidents' Cup, will be faced with a lot of pressure to get back to the Stanley Cup, and that much pressure might give them the early exit. I think Roberto Luango is a good goalie, but Jonathan Quick is even better that I think he'll be one of the major reasons why the Kings just might shock the Canucks in this series. Again, it wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks advance, but I just can't see them winning the Stanley Cup this year with this amount of pressure.

Blues over the Sharks in 5

Reason: The Sharks have good players, but I just don't see them advancing in this series, especially when St. Louis had a great home record this year in which it was considered to be one of the toughest places to play.

Coyotes over the Blackhawks in 6

Reason: Now, with a guy like Jonathan Toews the Blackhawks should win this on paper. But, I've watched these Coyotes play and they are better than what the experts are saying about them, in my opinion. The Coyotes can execute very well on defense, especially when it comes to the Penalty Kill, and Mike Smith is a dangerous goalie and had a tremendous year. Yeah, their line-up is nothing to boast about, but Dave Tippett has coached these players well, and they can be quite dangerous when they work together.

Predators over the Red Wings in 7

Reason: This is another close series, but I do think that the Predators will ultimately triumph here. Red Wings are good at home, but they really struggle on the road. And given how the Predators are the higher seed, I don't see the Wings surviving here. Plus, the Predators have a great goalie and he might be one of the biggest keys for the team to advance.

9. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

It is turning into a rather interesting start of the NHL Playoffs. Seven series have started. Already 3 have gone into OT, and we could have a fourth tonight with the way Chicago is playing Phoenix.

10. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Game 2 of Flyers-Penguins has been a really, really good game. The score at the moment is 5-5 with the third period barely beginning.:eek:

Edit: Now it's 6-5 with the Flyers leading.

11. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Marc Andre Fleury?

More like Marc Andre Swiss Cheese.

:evil:

12. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Wow, I would've loved to seen that Flyers/Penguins game instead of just catching the highlights. But either way, holy cow! Way to go Philly! Not particularly a fan of Philly, but just great to see them crush Pittsburgh like that toward the end of the game.

Glad to see my Sharks win the other night against the Blues, but they've still got to play harder and smarter if they want to progress.

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Penguins might want to try a novel concept called defense. I hear it wins championships. As for the Nucks they need help on almost every front outside of goaltending especially the special teams which has killed them so far in this series. Right now 2 favorites are in deep trouble.

14. DarkGojira

DarkGojira What are you staring at?

Oh, boy. Both the Canucks and the Penguins now find themselves in an 0-2 hole.

Both of these teams will have to shape up, because it's not going to get any easier as the Canucks will travel to Los Angeles, while the Penguins will play at Philadelphia.

15. Spideyzilla

Wow, no clue what's going on with Fleury. Maybe Bryzgalov was teaching him star gazing and he's been practising during games. I didn't see Pittsburgh or Vancouver being down in such big holes: these were actually my picks to go to the finals. Ottawa had better win tonight!

16. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

My team, the Capitals, won Game 2 in double overtime, 2-1. The series is now tied, 1-1.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

If the Flyers have a knack for comebacks, the Hawks have one for tying things up in the dying seconds. So far it's been probably the most exciting series so far.

Also can't help but find the humor of the Rangers losing to the Senators tough guys.

18. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Blackhawks win in OT over the Coyotes, 4-3.

19. Spideyzilla

And the Senators win 3-2 in OT. Great game.

20. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Neal and Asham should be suspended for the remainder of the playoffs. The Penguins should be fined extensively. What they put on display today wasn't hockey, but something the WWE would like. But given what Shanny gave Weber, and this is the NHL's golden child I doubt they'll get more than a slap.

Soon the Pengus will be gooning it up on the golf greens.