1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"2009 MTV Video Music Awards" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Old Guy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. CaptainHero

CaptainHero Save Yourselves!

Parker and Stone never go after news events that have already been parodied to death. I doubt they would even touch Joe Wilson's "You Lie!" event because talk shows and media have said everything that needs to be said. I doubt SP will actually ever make an episode in support of Obama anyway, and not because of either creator's politics, mostly because there's already so much of the media kissing his ass that it's quite tiresome.

I specifically remember a quote from Stone and Parker during Team America's publicity tour, they said the only way to be a rebel is to run into a room full of people and shout "George Bush Kicks Ass!".

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

3. Blueprint

Blueprint The wolfpack is coming to TNA

Poor taylor.She looked embarressed.:(

4. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Is funny your mention South Park, last night during the Daily Show I saw new promo for the Kanye West fishstick episode. I believe they are going to be air it today or tommorrow at 9pm.

5. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I make a special effort to watch only two MTV shows a year, the Movie Awards and the VMAs. I care more about the Movie Awards, but feel like I should know what happened at the VMAs.

I thought the Jackson tribute was nice and it really got me me when Janet was doing the "Scream" dance with Michael on the video screen. That was really cool.

It gets people to talk about him, but one of these days, Kanye West is going to be tired of people talking about him because he's a huge jerk that is incredibly full of himself. If we assume that this was not scripted, this might be the thing that does it. Even MTV hadn't moved on after West was done, he took Taylor's moment away and I applaud Beyonce for giving it back to her.

I liked most of the performances, but outside of knowing that one song everyone does, I didn't know much about Lady Gaga. She is something else. I'm not big into today's music so some of these people I didn't even know. Made me feel old. I still know the big artists, but not some of the newer ones.

I can't believe MTV brought Russell Brand back after what happened last year and while I will admit to being inclined to be critical of him, I'm pretty sure he declared his intent in front of everyone to... let's say "do things" to Megan Fox after drugging her in his dressing room.

6. JLApe

JLApe Active Member

It's sad when this year's VMA is most remembered for what Kanye did than for everything else that's great in it.

I also think Kanye fans ought to take a long hard look at him and decide if they should keep 'financing' his career. No doubt he's got serious issues, but it's unlikely he would have the chance to act the way he did had he not been a huge money-maker. I'm no fan of his music (to me, he's a glorified sound mixer than a true music artiste). However, if you serious about your criticisms of him, then the next step is to help ensure that he learns from his mistake. Stop buying his albums or any merchandise associated with him. Stop giving him another excuse - through your cash - to keep behaving as he did.

Because I doubt he's going to do what he said on Leno he would do. The lure of fame and money is too irresistible. He's going to want to keep doing his thing. If you call yourself a Kanye fan, then help him. Don't enable him. You know what to do.

7. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

People "finance" his music because they like it. Simple as that. He may be a jerk and egomaniac, but he isn't the first or the only one. I'd bet there's some jerks in your list of favorite artists.

8. cookiedough

cookiedough That's a chicktopus

Exactly. I think Kanye West is a huge jerk. But that alone doesn't make his music bad. I may not like him, but some of his songs are good.

9. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

Come on, man. Lady Gaga's outfits were a piss-poor ATTEMPT at being artsy.

She was trying to look as different and weird as possible by slapping together cheap outfits that looked like garbage in an attempt to gain attention for herself and appear 'artsy' (She wore a BIRD'S NEST ON HER FACE how in the world is that artistic?)

By that logic, I could just wear a bra made out of chicken drumsticks and a string, (I'm a guy, BTW) wear a sock on my nose and a loincloth made out of a leaf. Voila, i'm artistic!

What she wore at the VMAs was nothing more than attention-whoring. She wore ridiculous outfits so everybody would stare at her and talk about her on the news coverage/recap the following day.

I won't deny she is a talented singer (Her lyrics I find repulsive and slutty though, as I mentioned earlier. I did like 'Just Dance' however)

10. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

50 Cent said if Kanye West do to him like he did to Taylor Swift he'll beat the living hell out of him. I want Kanye do that to a man who been shot in his face.

11. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Well better luck with that happening at the next VMAs or at the next music award show.

12. cookiedough

cookiedough That's a chicktopus

Woops. When I said it was art I was directing more towards the performance, not the outfits*

But I see how people would think she's just trying to get attention by the way she dresses.

That's not what I think though. Most of the time when people mention the things she wears, it's always negative. Yet she continues to dress the way she wants, which is something I admire about her.

#72 cookiedough, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  13. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I think he's a little bitter for Kanye beating him in sales, and having 3 album grammies to his zero.

I think this incident is really being overhyped. What Kanye did was rude, and offensive, but it's not like he killed anybody and he did apologize (not saying that justifies his actions though).

14. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I think that the Kanye bashing is justified because:
    1. It was just another example of him acting like a petulant child. ODB did that too (i.e. going up on stage to interrupt somebody's acceptance speech) at the Grammys years ago, but at the very least, he didn't directly disrespect Shawn Colvin (whom ODB was interrupting) by saying that she didn't deserve to win (which Kanye basically did to Taylor Swift by showing his perfence to Beyonce's video).

2. Because of Taylor Swift's youth and "girl-next-door" like innocence (and lack of response), Kanye is being made out to be a bully. I don't think that Kanye would've done that if it were say, Pink or Katy Perry up there.

3. Kanye's stupidity took attention away from the Michael Jackson tribute, which should've been the main focus of the night.

4. Kayne's whole stunt was ultimately pointless because Beyonce wound up winning the award for Video of the Year.

15. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

I think the Kanye bashing is a bit too much seeing as how it's not that big of a deal. Sure it was rude but who cares? If someone did that to me I'd be upset but after he made a public apology I'd be fine. The women on The View want him to meet up with her in person and all of that stuff. What does he have to do, be her personal slave for the rest of his life?

16. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Reason #243 why I don't like Kanye West. His music's alright on some terms, but he's a jackass on steroids.

17. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

It was hilarious when THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES even called Kanye a jackass.

18. Brandon Pierce

Brandon Pierce Summer Glau Fanatic

Meh, I finally saw a video of the incident and didn't think much of it. While yes it was rude of him, but I think one could just say he was simply showing off. He didn't outright say Taylor didn't deserve the award, I think he just did what any crazed fanboy would do.

For all we know, Kanye found out that Beyonce would win alater reward and was trying to give out a warning. He WAS tipsey afterall.