"2008 Character Strike" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Mulberry, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Mulberry

Mulberry Resident Heiress

http://www.platypuscomix.net/miscellaneous/index.php?issue=7&page=1&seriesID=7

Look at that guy, trying to pretend nothing's going on. Isn't he pathetic?

Pathetic and stubborn. We walked off the job months ago, and it's only now just caught up with him. "Terminator: The Mulberry Sharona Chronicles" does not exist. It was never filmed. That's not even me in that main page shot--notice how they put so many grainy filters over it. I don't know what he's going to put up next week, but it should be interesting.

For the curious, here is the list of sources for the clips that appear this week. Many of them have never appeared on the site before. Yes, he's got an old stockpile as all bloated Hollywood CEOs do, thinking they can weather this crisis:

"Down and Out in Beverly Bills." Those Two Boys #2, March 1989
    "The Big Connection." Scrambled Eggs #94, June 2001
    "Reality Bites." Keiki, January 2003
    "This Is A Paid Message." Guava Guava #9, September 1999
    Marin Meadow strip, 2003
    "Entrepreneurs." Keiki, November 2002
    "Star Wars: Episode One." The Boxcar Children #35, January 1999
    "Sein-Off." Scrambled Eggs #85, May 1998
    Marin Meadow strip, 2003
    "Just Another Manic Monday." Me, October 2005
    "Morning Visit." Keiki #1, June 2002
    "Merry Christmas! Bah Humbug!" Scrambled Eggs #23, December 1991
    "E-venge of the Nerd." Keiki, March 2007
    "Take Your Keiki To Work Day." Keiki, April 2006

2. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

Ah, Disney Adventures' superior colorization of Bone...FTW.

3. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Character strike or not, it was worth it to see "Furbys with Knives" again.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

The promised Terminator story is "really" up, but it'll be a lot funnier to those already familiar with Shadowgirls that know what context those pages were originally in.

And guess what? The third Platypus Comix print book is completed, and this week's Everything Else update was going to be a preview of said book, but it didn't work out the way it was supposed to, and now you get nothing. Guess you'll just have to pay as usual. :mad:

5. J. B. Warner

I don't read "Shadowgirls", but this is still pretty funny. "Kilroy was here" is classic, as is the Ben Stein guy.

Third book, you say? Hmm, I'll have to look into that...

6. Peter Paltridge

http://www.platypuscomix.net/miscellaneous/index.php?issue=9&page=1&seriesID=7

It won't take you long to figure out what this cartoon is based on. Given how often JB has been bashing Family Guy these days, he oughta love this.

A few years ago I wrote a script for a bad Simpsons episode. I planned to convert it later into a Keiki cartoon in which the Simpsons appeared, but I never did that. Now, in a similar fashion, I've written a script for a bad Family Guy episode, and that's what this ended up becoming.

Unlike JB, I don't HATE Family Guy. The new episodes are still good for yuks, but they're settling into a lot of bad and annoying patterns, and they're all represented in this story: plots that don't even try, characters that only exist to make the same joke in every episode, lame pokes at slight deformities of celebrities, blunt one-sided political propaganda, stuff that's just there to be tasteless and not funny, it's all here.

The only thing I didn't do--and the spoof is sorely missing this--is one of the really, really long cutaways, as there was no space for it. I don't know how you'd pull that off in comic book form anyway. There's a company that's publishing one-shot Family Guy comics now, and their take was to print the same picture of Chris staring at something for three pages of panels in a row. But that can be easily skipped over; thus the problem.

You know what, though? It was actually a lot of fun to write this. It was pretty freeing to just put down anything at random. Now I can see how they get sucked in so easily.

Because this was drawn by a network executive, I had to make it as sloppy and rushed as possible. Every time I run something like this, I worry a representative from some huge company I'd love to work for will finally visit the site today, see that, and think "I'd never hire this person in a million years!" I think I need an online portfolio.

7. J. B. Warner

Heh, as I was reading this, I was thinking to myself "This is exactly what I imagine the storyboard wall of the 'Family Guy' writers' room must look like."

8. madhair60

madhair60 New Member

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. What impressed me the most is that it was spot on - much more succinct than the South Park effort.

I hadn't really picked up on the heavy-handed liberal moralising as a flaw, but now that I've read this it's as clear as day.

Favourite part? Abrupt re-appearance of One Joke Man.

9. madhair60

madhair60 New Member

Pardon my double post, but I just found out that Peter becomes a fireman in the newest Family Guy.

10. An Eskimo

An Eskimo New Member

Peter, I was beginnind to think that this "Character Strike" thing was going to get boring, but the Spider-Man comic proved me wrong.

11. Peter Paltridge

Well, you were just spared a super-long rant about how terrible superhero comics are and how I originally wrote this to mock the bad decisions the people in charge of them make, but it grew into an epic trilogy and became a pretty good story on its own, with a finale so incredibly good I had to add some more drama to part 1 to balance it out (hence why it went live with one page incomplete).

But as I was finishing all that, I hit a button by accident and went to a different page. If you haven't discovered by now, doing this on vBulletin-powered message boards erases the message you were typing. Completely.

Anyway, you'll want to stick around, because this impressed me too. Maybe sometime later I'll feel like typing all that garbage again.

12. madhair60

madhair60 New Member

Not sure about this one. Feels more like a soapbox than an entertaining comic.

13. J. B. Warner

I don't even read comic books, and I still feel compelled to follow this story, mainly because I love anything that pokes fun at authority. Daredevil's glasses are hilarious, by the way.

14. Peter Paltridge

Well, now I'm worried, Mr. Hair. I actually considered part 1 light on the soapbox--compared to part 2. If you decide you don't like part 2, please stick around for part 3 anyway; the finale's going to rock.

Anyway, the page that went up incomplete is now finished. See if the scene with pictures is the same as you envisioned when it was only text:
    [​IMG]

15. David Gerstein

David Gerstein GAC!

Spider-Man and Mary Jane were more real in this story than in most of the authorized classics I've read. The humor worked because the sadness was authentic. Keep it so up.

16. madhair60

madhair60 New Member

Oh, I'll certainly stick around for the rest!

Just have to add that this is very different in feel from your usual output. I suppose I'm getting accustomed.

17. David Gerstein

David Gerstein GAC!

Now adding—working 18-hour days in funny animal comics, I'd somehow actually missed (!) what was going on in the Spider books. I've just attuned myself, adding an extra level of gloom to all this... yeesh.
    Looking forward to part two.

18. Peter Paltridge

http://www.platypuscomix.net/miscellaneous/index.php?issue=10&page=14&seriesID=7

Part two has appeared tonight--and boy, am I angry.

It's not because of any story problems. I actually think this is one of the best things I've ever written. THAT'S the problem--I hate that it's getting delayed.

This part's up a week late--that was part of the plan. I figured if I pushed myself I could have gotten this portion up last week, but due to the way I sliced the story, I ended up making part two really short and part three really long. I wrote this all in one piece, and while the place to end part one was pretty obvious, I wasn't sure where to make the second cut. I ultimately decided none of the momentum that leads to the climax should be broken, and that the best "huh?? what happens next??" page-ender was the last panel of page 20. That left part two only seven pages long and part three almost twenty.

But that's not the main reason why I'm angry. The main reason is because, somehow, THIS IS ALL I'VE COMPLETED UP TO THIS POINT. WTH??? How'd THAT happen???

I delayed the short chapter one week because I would need longer than a week to deliver the finale and it'd be bad to have people wait that long with such a short portion. But seven measly pages were not supposed to take THIS LONG--and normally they don't. What's the deal here?

The deal is there's an evil superbug currently confining half the city of Portland to their beds; everybody either knows someone who's had the thing recently or they've just gotten over it. Or they have it and are stuck at home. My stepdad's got it, and he's been miserable all week. I've been stuck in the house with him, dodging his coughs and washing my hands like mad, trying desperately to avoid the fate this area wants me to succumb to.

Why didn't I get a flu shot? I did. So did he.

It would be really bad if he infected Mom, as she's currently the only one in the house making any money. To avoid plaguing her my stepdad has been sleeping his nights in the guest bedroom, where the family computer is....and where I would normally spend my nights coloring and adding backgrounds to my cartoons.

So instead, I've had to find time whenever I can during the day. This is really annoying and I do NOT. WANT. it to interfere with the delivery of part three at all! But it's looking very unlikely I can complete it in a week--I haven't even penciled the thing yet. The only worse thing would be GETTING IT--which I most fear; the duration lasts two weeks on average; it would grind production to a halt that freaking long. And I really love this story; not just for the great gags (Batman's meeting is my favorite part of part 2; Stan Lee's cameo on "House" is a runner-up) but because it has a real emotional drive--made all the worse by the fact that this deluded editor is really out there, really doing this. What'll happen if part 3 is delayed too long? Will all that emotion be forgotten by the reader, ruining the climax? That'd be terrible.

Of course, the seven pages you're getting don't have much in the way of emotion. It's a lot sillier than parts one and three; it's the breather in between. I love how the art on the final panel turned out, though. If you ended up smiling when you saw her, I'll know the story is working. I feared I wouldn't capture the right sudden feeling there, but I think you could roast marshmallows off the warmth that face gives out.

19. Peter Paltridge

20. J. B. Warner

Delay or not, part two is still great. And I notice your celebrity caricatures continue to get better and better!

For some reason, I constantly envision Joe Quesadilla speaking with the voice of Fishy Joe Gillman from "Futurama".