1999 Spider-Man Unlimited vs. 2003 Spider-Man

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Trevor, May 11, 2010.

?

Which series do you prefer?

1. Spider-Man Unlimited (1999)

34.6%
  2. Spider-Man (2003)

65.4%
  1. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

I'm right behind you. I thought NPH was a really good Peter Parker. The show really fluctuated in quality at times, and the look of it is now dated as hell, but there was a lot of stuff in it that I liked, most especially it being the most mature take on Spidey.

2. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown Member

no way! I'm on your side!

3. Israelite Wolfman

Israelite Wolfman A Hebrew Werewolf

Spider-Man Unlimited had potential and would have ran for more than just 13 episodes if it wasn't running against Pokemon at the time. The animation was great (far better than TAS' 20% of reused animation from other episodes per a given episode, the childish CGI and the needless emphasis of the chick bones) and so does the breaking down of the same old concept of Spidey as a local NYC superhero and instead placing him in an exploration journey (both internal and external) on a new planet.

4. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I actually quite like MTV's Spider-Man and find it kinda underrated/overhated. Sure, it isn't a masterpiece and it has plenty of problems (most of them stemming from MTV's dumb demands and the futile attemps to be in-continuity with Raimi movies) and lackluster episodes, but the crew clearly understood Spider-Man and the main characters were cast perfectly (Neil Patric Harris is my second favorite voice of Spider-Man after Josh Keaton). The final two-parter is also genuinely really well-written and performed, and while it would have been nice if the cliffhanger was resolved, it kinda works as a downer ending.

Unlimited doesn't deserve it's reputation as one of the worst Marvel cartoons, since it is much more watchable than Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, second season of The Incredible Hulk or first season of 90's Fantastic Four. However, the show isn't very good either and it just ends up being horribly mediocre. It's biggest problem is that it kinda wants to have its cake and eat too in regards to what kind of stories it wants to tell. The show has very unorthodox premise for a Spider-Man show (which isn't inherently a bad thing), but it also wants to have the classic drama of Peter trying to balance normal life with being a superhero, which doesn't work with the new setting at all. The show also likes to introduce tons of subplots, but never bothers to develop them nor its characters, which leads to 13 filler-y episodes with tons of build-up/foreshadowing, but little to no actual plot progression (is almost like the crew was too confident that they would get a second season). Not to mention, the lack of resolution for the cliffhanger just leaves you frustrated.

5. Israelite Wolfman

Israelite Wolfman A Hebrew Werewolf