1999 Spider-Man Unlimited vs. 2003 Spider-Man

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Trevor, May 11, 2010.

?

Which series do you prefer?

1. Spider-Man Unlimited (1999)

34.6%
  2. Spider-Man (2003)

65.4%
  1. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Between the 1999 Spider-Man Unlimited and the 2003 Spider-Man series, which is your favorite?

Both ran for 13 episodes and both ended on cliff-hangers. So which one do you prefer?

2. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

2003 Spider-Man? You mean the MTV series? If that's the case then let them both burn in the pits of Tartarus together.

3. Fusion

Fusion Member

After viewing Spiderman Unlimited in its entirety for a second time, i've become quite fond of it. As for the MTV series i haven't watched a single episode, as it didn't appeal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I have tried watching Unlimited but I can never make it through an episode. I always end up switching it off because I just can't make myself sit through it any longer.

The MTV series on the other hand is something I've seen all of. It's mainly rubbish as well, with bad writing and really bad restrictions forced on them MTV (like no old people in the show), but it had great actions scenes and a very agile Spidey. It was supposed to be in continuity with the movies yet it really wasn't because of what they were doing with the characters, but because of that they weren't allowed to use other Spidey villains and stories since the movies could use them.

All in all they were two bad Spidey shows, but the MTV series was the least bad.

5. Time Wizard

Time Wizard It All Ends Here

I actually quite enjoyed Spider-Man Unlimited, especially compared to the horrendous MTV Spider-Man. I really didn't think it was that bad...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

Well hate to brake the chain here but I actually liked both shows. Sure they aren't nearly as good as Spiderman TAS or TSSM but I didn't think they were that bad. (Except when I was a kid I really didn't care for either show since it didn't appeal for me)

All in all if I were to choose one I'd go for MTV Spiderman SINCE the season finale was awesome. I wish I could say the same for Unlimited if only I knew what world spiderman would go to if he deafted the animals :sad:

7. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

LOL

For the most part, I agree with you. Both series, IMO, were very under whelming with very minor bright spots.

8. Golgo-13

Golgo-13 Member

I can't even vote on this. It's like asking which eye would i prefer to loose, my left eye or my right eye...:sad:

9. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

Unlimited was bad, or to put it a better way, was one long drawn-out mini-arc, but it should have resolved its cliffhanger so that it could have been put to rest. The entire series led up to those last few episodes, and to cut it off right there just added insult to injury. You can't even find a scripted resolution on the Internet like you could for the 90s series (which at least resolved itself enough to where any more episodes would have beat you over the head with it.) Unlimited needed a conclusion, and because it didn't, that officially made it a waste of time.

MTV Spider-Man's cliffhanger, from what I can recall, was another "Spider-Man No More" retread, which I've had more than enough of to really care about.

#9 Captain Highwind, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  10. Anwar

Anwar Lord of the Vindaloovians

The only good things about MTV Spidey were Neil Patrick Harris, Lisa Loeb, and their Electro.

11. Superpan

Superpan Member

mtv Spidey was an actual spidey show and can briefly hold my attention, so that's higher quality, though that doesn't mean much.

12. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Spider-Man Unlimited was crap on every conceivable level - the show has little in the way of redeeming qualities.

Spider-Man: The New Animated Series was (is) an entertaining show to me - the network clearly hindered what they were trying to do, as did tying it into the movies which forbade the use of most of the comic book villains. It didn't help that most of the original villains created for the show were pretty lame.

Visually, the show looked great when Spidey was in action - the webslinging and fight scenes were a sight to behold. It may be dated, but even on it's worst day it's still miles better than anything the recent Iron Man cartoon did.

I find TNAS to be an underatted show, but I've always been pretty much alone in that opinion.

13. Dangerous2099

Dangerous2099 Member

Both shows sucked.

Unlimited was the worst- crap concept (I hate furries) crap costume, crap characters, crap storylines.. crap animation... cool music.

SMTNAS- This whole show felt flat and soulless to me. But the way Spidey moved around and fought looked great, better than the movies. The best visual realization of Spidey's unique acrobatic dexterity.

So SMTNAS was the best.

14. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

I thought their Kraven was pretty cool.

I don't hate TNAS as much as others do here, though it was never particularly a show I would call that good.

15. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I don't know, I love both shows
    Spider-Man unlimited Humans have better designs
    MTV Spider-Man has better stories for the title of Spider-Man

16. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

The only interesting thing that I found with the 2003 series was that Lieutenant Worf/Sandman (Michael Dorn, Star Trek The Next Generation, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, The Santa Clause 2, The Santa Clause 3) had been cast as Kraven, even though Kraven didn't look anywhere as threatening as his 1994 character.

Otherwise I found that everytime someone turned their head, the head-neck turned to far to look normal and then it looked like the head would snap back to the proper position after realizing that it had turned too far. Talk about a serious case of whiplash.

17. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

You thought Kraven's outdated Halloween getup looked threatening?

18. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Do you mean the current one (Iron Man: Armoured Adventures)? I thought the MTV Spiderman show was so-so, whereas Iron Man is all right. Iron Man has interesting takes on Whiplash and Madame Masque, and I care more about what's going on with the supporting cast in Iron Man than I did with the gang in the MTV Spiderman show. Iron Man has managed to do a decent job of reinventing some of the villains, while the MTV Spiderman show didn't accomplish that IMO. It helps that Iron Man has more of a sense of continuity than MTV Spiderman did. I certainly don't love Iron Man: Armoured Adventures, but I think it has some good aspects.

19. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

They were both pretty horrible...but I would say that I could atleast sit through the MTV series. Unlimited was pretty out there...a little too much...way too much.

20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't hate either series (there are a lot of worse things I reserve those feelings for). I actually like the MTV series, as flawed as it is. The new villains were incredibly forgettable for the most part and the main characters were pretty much vapid college kids but I guess I was one as well back when I was watching it so maybe there was some kind of relating or something going on there. It had it's share of WTH moments as well (like whatever that relationship between Pete and MJ was) but there was stuff I actually enjoyed here. One element I really liked was the sort of scary movie feel some episodes had, such as the Lizard or Electro episodes. MTV was a really bad choice of network for a Spidey series though and it was apparent in the show's faux hipness, the purging of any comic book elements, and the spastic airing schedule. I won't get into the actual animation here but CG has really come a long way since this show.

I don't hate anthropomorphic characters but I'm not too keen on seeing them mixed into the regular Marvel universe (For example, I'd rather sit through Jubilee's Fairytale Theater than Family Ties. Crazy, right?) so that was already a strike against Spider-Man Unlimited. There have been lots of times when my interest in a comic series would plummet after going through a arc with the High Evolutionary and his pets, and here was an animated series that was entirely set on an Alternate Earth controlled by them. I remember I'd tune in each week in the hopes that it would be the episode where he finally fixes things on that silly planet and goes back home so the real fun can begin but those wishes were in vain. I liked Peter here and his main supporting characters, the doctor and her son, but nothing was ever really done with them. All of the focus would go back to Spidey rumbling with the furries, and getting caught in the middle of the human revolution and blah, blah, blah. I did find the show's art direction interesting and I did like some of the designs (Pete, Spidey, the human characters). I didn't find the animation to be too shabby either but who am I to critique that? Lastly, I thought the show had a pretty cool intro and it's probably the most enjoyable part to me. These were two series that could have actually been good if they played more on what makes Spidey a great character instead of dwelling on their separate agendas (desperate demographic pulling and toy sales) so it is a real shame. It just makes me feel like saying "Thank God, we had Spectacular".