"1988 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Arleen Sorkin sounds a little hard to make out because of her singing partner, but I do hear Harley Quinn putting on a fancy voice, which sometimes skips back into her usual. I don't know if I would've thought the same if I didn't read the description beforehand, though.

3. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

You know, every time I think about how commercials nowadays just seem to get stranger and stranger, I remind myself that I grew up in a time where the world of commercials had gel-filled fruit snacks that turned people's heads into watermelons, rockets and octopuses, tiny Hawaiian guys punching people in the face, Seth Green having dreams where he turns into Toucan Sam, and....

a girl's terrifying dolls coming to life and dancing in her slippers.

I just couldn't stop staring at the Big Head Mode Archie characters. Those will probably be haunting my dreams, too!

(Also, I don't blame you for deciding that you're done with Robot Chicken, Peter. I only lasted about a week before I came across the Grand Theft Auto-Super Mario Bros-Resident Evil mash-up sketch. Bye bye, childhood....)

4. Alex Sarosi

Alex Sarosi Member

Why do you hate any computer put out by Tandy/Radio Shack.

5. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

An interesting note about this year: At the time, Sandy Duncan was on the TV show The Hogan Family, which Willard Scott had made a few minor appearances on. So when they were chosen to host the parade together Willard decided to wear the squaredancing outfit he wore in the "very special" fire episode, "Burned Out".

Well he established in the article that they were barely capable of doing anything shown in the commercials.

6. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Forbidden Broadway is essentially the Weird Al of the musical theatre world. If you have a musical and want to be absolutely sure it has made an impact (good or bad), you check if they've mocked it yet in Forbidden Broadway. It's still going strong today; they update it every so often with new musicals. That said, I half-expect there to be something in the near future about the influx of tourism of my home province of Newfoundland (specifically Gander and Fogo) ever since Come From Away premiered a while back.