1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

15 years since "Spider-Man" (2002)!!

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by wonderfly, Apr 27, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I got to looking at the date and realized: "Holy cow, next week (May 3rd) it'll be 15 years since Spider-Man came out in theaters!"

[​IMG]

This is the film that made Sam Raimi and Toby McGuire household names. I'm thinking about pulling out this old DVD and watching it next week, to commemorate...

So with the 15th anniversary in mind, what are your memories of watching this in theaters that year? And did the later Spider-Man movie blunders hurt the series? Do you think the Spider-man movies series would've been doing better by this point in time, or was the drop in popularity (being surpassed by Iron Man/Captain America) to be expected?

Thoughts?!?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's always surreal when I think about how kids today have lived all their lives with big budget superhero movies being the norm but it was mostly something I fantasized about when I was their age. Not understanding how rights worked, I always why they weren't just putting out a live-action movie or series or even a big screen animated movie for Spidey. There would be mock posters featuring guys like James Cameron and Leonardo DiCaprio being involved and that filled me with all kinds of false hope. I first got internet after the first X-Men movie was a thing, and I was always checking to see if there was some Spider-Man movie news. I remember when I first heard Tobey was cast, I thought it was pretty perfect casting due to being familiar with him from Pleasantville and Cider House Rules. Untold Tales of Spider-Man was my favorite series at the time, and I loved so much retro Spidey stuff, and I felt as though Tobey matched up to that. Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane left me puzzled though. I just couldn't picture her as Mary Jane and, superficially, she was much closer to Gwen but I figured they would make the casting work somehow. I didn't know Willem Dafoe at all, so I had no idea how he'd be as the Goblin. The only other actor I knew was James Franco and I just thought of him as a pretty boy at the time. Once I started seeing Spider-Man being promoted in commercials and the World Trade Center teaser, I became so hyped to see the movie. Everything I saw was passing my expectations of what they'd accomplish and when I saw the released movie, I couldn't be happier. Blade was the high standard to me at the time, and I thought of X-Men as a big letdown, but Spider-Man was the one that made me feel as though they could create good superhero movies with the most fantastical characters and without changing every single thing about them on every level.

Maybe it's due to nostalgia and the experience of feeling as though I was watching a dream come true before my eyes but the first movie is probably my favorite, or matched equally with the second movie. I can definitely see why the second movie was kind of hailed as one of the best superhero movies and I think the good parts of the movie are great but there's just something about the way Peter Parker is handled as a character in that one that put me off. Outside of Peter himself, I love the movie.

I liked Spider-Man 3 a lot when it was first released though its major flaws were more apparent with each successive viewing. Visually, Sandman was incredible though the back story and retcon were not great ideas IMO. Venom was a bad choice to use as a second villain for this movie and they really shouldn't have forced him in there. A fourth movie that centered around him as a villain could have probably been really strong, even if Raimi left the franchise. The movie is pretty much a mess with a few well done action sequences, and that's a shame. If it wasn't due to Sony's mismanagement, I feel as though there probably could have been another two or three films in the series, without ever going the Amazing route. It would have been pretty interesting.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't have many memories of the promotion leading up to the film. I just remember going to see it in theaters with my girlfriend of the time, and people around me crying after Uncle Ben died. I think Roger Ebert's review of the film is correct: The first half is a wonder to behold, the 2nd half is a bit of a mess (and the conversations between Spider-Man and the Goblin still look like Power Rangers acting). What I remember is the buzz and popularity the movie was getting AFTER it's release, and how the media was talking about "escapism" being what was desired in movie fans (in a post September 11th, 2001 world), and so that's what made "Spider-Man" and "Lord of the Rings" so popular that year.

@Rick Jones, Interesting theory: if Sony hadn't mismanaged Spider-Man 3, would we still be in the Sam Raimi/Toby McGuire Spidey-verse? Not that it would still be Raimi and McGuire involved, I doubt that - but I can picture Peter and Mary Jane breaking up after Spider-Man 3 and then introducing the Lizard and Gwen Stacy somehow in a "Spider-Man 4"...