11/4/17 Notice: Do not Visit Crunchyroll Until Further Notice (Update: it's OK now)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by GWOtaku, Nov 4, 2017.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Serious news: someone’s managed to hijack Crunchyroll. Visitors to the site get a prompt to download malicious software. This may have happened because of a DNS hijack, which is apparently different from suffering an actual hack. Whatever, all that’s over my head.

This is being worked on by their people but it’s not safe right now. Do NOT even browse to the site with a PC. If you’ve already been, do not open any recently downloaded file and delete it immediately.

When I see it is safe again I will post again here, if someone else has not done so already.

Near as I can tell this security problem doesn’t extend to any app. However, if you’re having problems running CR content on your tablet or device, this is probably why.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

Yikes. I actually saw this on ANN a few minutes ago. It was only by chance that I even decided to visit that site and find out. I could have visited CR first. I'm very glad that didn't happen.

Guess I won't be watching Dragon Ball Super tonight. :(

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It may only be a matter of hours until it’s fixed, but no way to know. I’m trying to keep tabs on social media for updates.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

That's pretty scary, thanks for the heads up. I was honestly going to go to the site a few minutes ago but thankfully this thread came up. I'm sure the staff of the site will work things out.

5. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

All clear.

• Informative Informative x 1