1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

…why doesn’t Warner Bros. even buy the MGM/UA studio?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Nate Spidgewood, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Ah. Premier WAS MGM. My confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Wait, so owns the Pink Panther library? Seems like WB bought Tom and Jerry out from MGM, unless Hanna-Barbera bought them beforehand.

Anyway, at the very least, WB should buy the rights to MAD MAX. They already have the rights to the sequels, which doesn't make any sense. Then they could put out a trilogy boxset.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

UA released the Pink Panther shorts so they own them outright. The Tom and Jerry shorts along with all the other MGM theatrical shorts/characters are all in the library half Ted Turner acquired. As for Mad Max, well actually Warner does the own the rights to the the original in some territories (Europe for instance), just not the US and Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ClassicTVMan1981

I wonder if Turner/WB could've at least bought The Pink Panther series (both the cartoons and the live-action films) while MGM was struggling?

~Ben

• Like Like x 1
  5. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Europe the MGM brand is owned by AMC. So it's probably not as easy as it seems.

6. lunadraws94

lunadraws94 Turning this forum's head since 2016!

Uh...no. AMC Networks bought out Chellomedia, the owner of most of the MGM channels. Chello merely paid a fee to MGM to license their name, lion logo, and film library to program their channels. When they bought Chello, they found it easier (and cheaper) to convert the channels to their own brand (AMC) rather than keep paying licensing fees to MGM. So, MGM owns its name and logo everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sasq

sasq Active Member

Any news?

8. Lord Dalek

The news is in the 7 years since this thread was originally posted, Skyfall came out and saved MGM's collective butt so that's the end of that story.

Otherwise, pointless netcromancy.

9. Alan WIlcox

Alan WIlcox New Member

that is a total bummer it has been 6 years since the MGM auction fell through and nobody knows if it is still for sale if i was a wealthy billionaire i would have bought it right of the spot and rename it and reopen its animation division and i would sell it to Warner Bros to merge with MGM under the condition to me in charge of the animation department the MGMUA would renamed to Wonderful Marvelous Glamourous Magical Unbelieveable Amazing or WMGMUA pictures the W is for Warners but only was i would even get that kind of money is by befriending and negotiating with a wealthy generous Billionaire

10. Alan WIlcox

Alan WIlcox New Member

ok since MGM probably saved itself from bankruptcy if the entire MGM studio was on sale for 2 billion bucks how would they sell their animation department

11. Lord Dalek

What animation department? They haven't had one since 1957!

Somebody lock this ridiculous zombie thread.

12. sasq

sasq Active Member

@Light Lucario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.