1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

…A Book By Its Cover

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I've never rejected to watch a cartoon based on it's artwork. However, I have rejected plenty of cartoons based on the ad.

2. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Active Member

I can agree that both good writing and likable characters are indeed the most important aspects of a cartoon, but good artwork can indeed help make a cartoon very enjoyable as well.

3. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Books are a bit different then animation in that you dont have to be constantly looking at the book's cover as you read it.

4. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

Yup. Cartoons are an audio-visual medium, after all. Animation with good writing but horrid design is equivalent to reading an interesting book filled with typos and bad sentence structure.

It's not always a bad thing to judge a cartoon by its artwork.

5. Dr. Zin

Dr. Zin Evil Genius (retired)

Refused to watch at all owing to animation style? No, haven't done that. OTOH, as some others have said, my overall interest in a show can definitely be affected if I dislike the visual style.

The most notable example is almost certainly Teen Titans; I'd have been far more interested in that series if its early episodes hadn't been so sharply tilted toward an anime look. I'll also admit to a guilty-pleasure interest in the Scooby Doo franchise -- but I consider the "new look" of the current Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue series a step backward, and that's contributed to my lack of interest in that series. (It isn't the only factor; I think the franchise also needs Fred, Velma, and Daphne to help ground it, and the various series that drop them have never worked well for me.)