1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

“The Cool Tribute To Classic Flash Covers”

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by DarkLantern, Mar 13, 2002.

1. DarkLantern

DarkLantern Keeping my promise

I have included this in my “Double Takes” for the “Brave and the Bold” episode on the World’s Finest page, but I thought I’d post it here since so many people were asking about it. Enjoy.

Liked the “cool tribute to classic Flash comic book covers” (Dwayne McDuffie’s words) during the mind-control dream sequence. Here’s where those images came from:

1) The origin recap visually showed the Flash transforming into the lightning bolt that granted himself super speed. This was supposedly the “end” of Barry Allen’s story as shown in Secret Origins Annual #2 (1988).

2) The angle of the scene in the lab is very close to a panel from Showcase #4. We can see that the person struck has red hair, which suggests this kid is Wally West. I also suspect that, given the youthful rambunctiousness of the Flash, Wally was a lab assistant or student at the time of the accident.

3) Flash’s sudden weight gain is a nod to The Flash #115 (Grodd was the villain in that story too).

4) The thin Funhouse Mirror Flash is from the cover of The Flash #292.

5) The Big-headed Flash was inspired by The Flash #177.

6) The Puppet Flash looks almost exactly as it appeared on the cover of The Flash #133.

7) The ape transformation actually happened to several silver-age heroes in the 60s, but not the Flash. That scene was based on the recent, “Modern Age” JLApe DC Annual crossover event. --Dark Lantern

And my other “Double Takes related to this sequence:

While the idea of Flash transforming into a funhouse mirror reflection “happened” in The Flash #292, it also happened to him and four other Justice Leaguers in THE SILVER-AGE Justice League of America #7. -- Dark Lantern

The Flash’s mirror images should have had a reversed chest emblem (a common animation mistake), but it *was* a dream sequence... --Dark Lantern

The “bubbly skin” effect of Flash’s ape transformation is very reminiscent of the movie “Altered States.” -- Dark Lantern

2. GL2k2

GL2k2 Savage Dragon

Did you catch the fact that they reused footage of the STAS episode "New Kids In Town" in the future with the Legionaires, and put the dot of Grodd on the still of it?

3. DarkLantern

DarkLantern Keeping my promise

Actually, no.

But I haven't seen "New Kids In Town". Are you sure they reused footage, or just used the same backgrounds? I know they've reused backgrounds before -- as well as prop designs. The Ajuris fighter Hawkgirl "borrowed" in "In Blackest Night Pt II" first appeared in the Superman episode "Absolute Power."

Dark Lantern

4. Borg4of3

Borg4of3 Slish Slash Slosh!

Hehe, I just wanted to add that the Funhouse mirrors reminded me of Mirror Master, one of The Flash's rogue gallery! Now, all we needed to see was some ice and some boomerangs, and the tribute would have been perfect!