1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

“Kenny The Shark” Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Oct 7, 2010.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]
    While the launch of The Hub is still a few days away, I wanted to create some talkback threads for the few animated programs from Discovery Kids that we know are making the transition. Kenny The Shark isn’t going to have as prominent a place on The Hub as Tutenstein is, with only one airing on The Hub at 5:30 in the morning scheduled at this point, but I fully believe that it should have a more prominent place on the network. It’s actually a very clever animated program once you get past its shortcomings.

Honestly, I don’t remember many specific details about the series; it’s been a long time since I last watched it and my memory is, admittedly, terrible when it comes to these things. However, Kenny The Shark was far better than many of the other animated programs on the network. It had a lot of fun plots and some interesting characters, particularly Kat, as it was nice to see a female character who actually seemed normal for a change. The series also had decent continuity – something I didn’t expect – but things like Captain Ahearn’s introduction and then befriending of the family carried over into other episodes. I always liked Captain Ahearn. Kenny wasn’t a bad character, either, but I think I liked Marty more.

Sadly, there is one thing that I hate about the series. One terrible black mark on its record. Oscar. He is the most annoying character in an animated program that I have ever seen. He constantly rambles on about his heritage each time he appears and he’s just not that likable of a character. I actually kept hoping that Kat would just slap him. It’s fine and dandy for people to be proud of their heritage, and I understand that Kenny The Shark was an educational series and it wanted to inform kids about the Mayans, but Oscar’s constant prattling on the subject was not the right way to go about doing that. He would just show up randomly and brag about how awesome “his people” were. :sweat:

I also found it interesting how Grace and Peter, Kat’s parents, kept questioning her tendency to have conversations with her shark. Why they would let her keep a sharp aside, Grace is a psychologist; one has to wonder why she didn’t think her daughter was mentally unsound. That would have been a very interesting plot for an episode. ;)

What did you think about the series? If you haven’t seen it but want to check it out, I think your best bet is the Kenny The Shark marathon that sends off Discovery Kids before The Hub launches. As I said, it doesn’t appear that the series is going to be treated very well on The Hub.

2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well I think it is a okay series. I just started this recently. How come Kat can talk to Kenny and no other humans can? It is similar to Krypto but at least that has an excuse for the one human that can talk to animals. Kenny is no super hero with special translaters.

Kenny does remind of Jabber Jaw a bit.

3. The Huntsman

I don't think they ever tried to explain that. Also, while most episodes showed that she could only speak with Kenny for some reason, there were a few where she seemed to be able to speak with Marty as well. Regardless, I don't think logic is really necessary when we're talking about a series that has a shark walking around on dry land and living just fine.

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Far as I saw, Kat was capable of talking to Marty just like Kenny (one episode, where a rich brat's kidnapped Kenny, has her questioning Marty about Kenny's whereabouts). Otherwise, she seemed to be like Dr. Doolittle---nobody else understood what Kenny said (just "shark gibberish" or "he thinks he's trying to communicate" as Kat's parents felt).

Re: Kenny like Jabberjaw: Yeah, both were bumbling, goofy sharks able to live on dry land. Can only imagine what a crossover between the two would've been like (probably Kenny threatening in vein to prove he should be renamed "Glassjaw" or something :p).

The show's partially on DVD in single-disc releases (saw them on sale at CVS a few months ago), but that seems to be about it. Kenny's voice, Jim Conroy, currently does the voice of Ruff Ruffman on PBS' "Fetch!" Ruff probably has a bit in common with Kenny (though Kenny never had to deal with being a game show host whose show this season is shamelessly being ripped off by rivals :p ).

-B.

5. The Huntsman

There seemed to be episodes where she couldn't talk to Marty, however, or at least didn’t feel compelled to. I believe there were also some episodes involving other animals that she didn't talk to, such as the whale that turned out to be a bully. She sort of just told Kenny to hang out with him, because she thought Kenny needed a friend, but never actually talked with the whale.

6. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I tell you the theme song is catchy. I think I might get up early every Monday morning to watch this.