“How To Train Your Dragon” & “MegaMind” Series In Early Development Stages

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by The Huntsman, May 13, 2010.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Via The Hollywood Reporter

I admit that I’m making somewhat of an assumption in posting this in this forum, but considering Nickelodeon’s strong relations with DreamWorks, I think it’s safe to assume that Nickelodeon is their likely destination.

Personally, I’m not too fond of them considering a MegaMind series before the movie even premieres, but I believe a How To Train Your Dragon series could work. I don’t believe the movie was as great as I was led to believe, but Toothless was adorable and it had a decent cast of characters to base a series around.

2. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

I'd love a How to Train your Dragon series.
    Don't know what the heck the other series is.
    Got any info on Planet Sheen? Like when the date is?

3. The Huntsman

MegaMind is DreamWorks' supervillain movie that premieres this November; I can't really comment on whether it will work as a series or not until I see it, so we'll be waiting for a while to get opinions on that one. As for Planet Sheen, no. I have no contacts or sources. I simply rummage through The Google to find things that other people overlook. This information, for example, was posted by The Hollywood Reporter a few days ago but nobody posted about it.

4. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

What a weird idea for a movie.
    Cartoon Network has or had a TV series based on Villains too.
    Compettion? Although I don't know how that show did in ratings.
    Darn, I wonder when the Planet Sheen series will get a date?
    That's a series that I've been looking forward to the most :(

5. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

OK, can we please stop asking when Planet Sheen will premiere. No one has any idea right now. Once someone knows for sure (whether it’s me, Huntsman, someone on the TZ news crew, etc.) it will be posted for all to see.

6. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Alright sorry about that.
    Guess the waits just driving me crazy :p

7. StellaMagic

StellaMagic New Member

A little early to make a Megamind series, but I think the movie will be a hit. I enjoy a movie about villains reforming and see the error of their ways.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Say what ya want about Dreamworks, but I love the ambition the studio has.

9. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

If you're talking about League of Super Evil, it hasn't really been on for almost a year (outside of one random Sunday a few months ago where they burned off the unaired episodes). I severely doubt that Nickelodeon is planning a series of MegaMind as competition against L.O.S.E. (which, unless CN acquires the second season, likely won't be coming back to US airwaves...at least not on CN).

10. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

I loved How to Train Your Dragon, but I can't really see it as a series. It just seems like they're trying milk the movie as much as possible. I mean do they have to make a TV sereis for EVERY DreamWorks movie?:shrug:
    Also, Nick 3D series has horrible animation. One of the things that made HTTYD so magical was the amazing animation, but if they make a series then they will probably ruin that.:sad:

11. SuperMegaHyper

SuperMegaHyper ...I don't even know anymore.

I gotta have to agree with ya there, as Much as I love HTTYD and Penguins Of Madgascar this is really starting to push it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  12. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocks™

What's with all the Dreamworks series? Not that it's a problem but I'm curious.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

So MegaMind the movie isn't even out yet and Dreamworks is already planning to turn it into a series? That's jumping the gun just a tad, I think. I hope for their sake that the movie does well, 'cause they'd look pretty silly if the movie under performs.

That would be The League of Super Evil (L.O.S.E.), and that wasn't a Cartoon Network original; it was an acquisition from Canada. Furthermore, it's very, very unlikely that MegaMind was turned into a series as competition for L.O.S.E., as that series didn't exactly set the world on fire and isn't presently running on Toon.

I can't say how good an idea it is to turn How to Train Your Dragon into a series, since I still haven't seen the movie yet.

14. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

HTTYD TV series? Doesn't surprise me at all. I had a feeling this would happen. I wonder how long this would take.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Not every movie. Just the successful ones.
    It's no different than what Disney did in the 90-2000's. Where The Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, Aladdin, Hercules, Lion King, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, got series.

What I find odd is that Dreamworks is making not only a tv series based on these movies, but an actual sequel as well. But I guess I'm more used to the way Disney did things, where the sequel went direct-to-video instead of theatrical.

Though HTTYD is production, Megamind might not get a series depending on the film's performance at the box office. Don't forget Monsters vs. Aliens was also planned to get a series, but was apparently scrapped.

16. The Huntsman

Nope. I updated that thread today as well; it’s not guaranteed for a series yet, but they are moving forward with the attempt. B.O.B. will be the main character in it. Regardless, I personally love what DreamWorks and Nickelodeon are doing. I really enjoyed a lot of Disney’s animated programs back in the day and I’m glad somebody is carrying on that torch.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

This is pretty interesting news. I'm not too surprised with How To Train Your Dragon getting a series considering how well its has performed. I didn't think that they would try to get a series for a movie like MegaMind that hasn't even premiered yet. Though, both are in the early stages, so neither of them are guaranteed yet.

If they green light HTTYD series, I'll definitely watch it. I haven't seen the movie yet, but what I've read about it sounds cool, Toothless is a cute dragon and I just love dragons overall. So any series with dragons generally catches my initial interest. I haven't heard much of MegaMind outside of a synopsis, so I don't know how I'd feel if that became a series. Still, since I enjoy the Penguins of Madagascar so much, I could see myself having fun watching these series as well.

18. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

I'm definitely interested in HTTYD series, since I thought the movie was pretty awesome. Considering that there is a sequel in the works, I can see the series being more in an alternative universe, or taking place between movie 1 and 2.

As for MegaMind, I have to wait until I see it in theaters before I pass judgement on whenever it deserves a series or not.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Yeah, I really hope the producers rethink that before the Monsters VS Aliens series hits the airwaves, assuming it does. A B.O.B. series sounds like a very bad idea to me. B.O.B. is a one-joke character who just doesn't have what it takes to headline an entire series.

20. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I might like to see a HTTYD series, but if I were them I wouldn't consider making a Megamind series until the movie comes out.