1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

“Dennis & Gnasher” Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Oct 10, 2010.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I didn’t really expect much from this series, but I actually liked it. It’s refreshing to see misbehavior glorified – at least to some extent – in an animated program; usually they all preach good morals and proper behavior. I know Dennis didn’t really “win” in either of the episodes that just aired, but he didn’t really get in trouble. I think I’ll keep on watching this series, as it’s certainly better than some other animated programs I’ve seen.

2. ikey2

ikey2 Member

While this was not overly bad of a show it was not perfect either. I laughed a few times which is good since this gives me hope that future episodes could and will be better.

3. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Well-Known Member

for me...... i found their Voices Funny.... It's an OK Show, But Their British Voices looked silly (Unless if it was a British Comic... then i might know)

4. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 Member

Yes. Dennis originated as a character in the British comic strip "Dennis the Menace". The UK version to be exact. Since the U.S. Dennis is way different in comparison.

I didn't like this show from what I saw but I'll watch it more to see if I can actually find it to be decent. I wasn't exactly paying attention to the TV when this came on [​IMG]

5. Ultra8

Ultra8 Now all I/You can do

Not a bad start. He's like a intentionally mischievious version of Denis the Menace only british.
    (which apparently he actually is:sweat:)

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Yes, Dennis & Gnasher is based on Dennis the Menace, not the American comic strip created by Hank Ketchum but a very popular and long running strip that has been running in the UK since 1951. The UK Dennis was/is so popular, in fact, that when Hank Ketchum's Dennis was brought to the UK it was re-christened The Pickle so as not to confuse it with the UK's Dennis. The 2009 series has the character toned down some from what he was originally. based on what I've read, in the original strip, Dennis was more of a bully and the strip's humor was more along the lines of Beavis & Butthead. Dennis' dog Gnasher made his debut in the comics on August 31, 1968.

Apparently, The Hub debuted Dennis & Gnasher with episodes 11 and 12, so they don't seem to airing the shows in any particular order.

#6 Goldstar Neo, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  7. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

You can see one of the earliest strips here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/gallery/comicsbritannia/8

I think a 1950s version of Beavis and Butthead is a fair assessment, although it'd be misleading to say that the strip was ever as raunchy as B&B.

I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but David Law's original strips have a kind of grim, murky vibe that's missing from the primary-coloured stuff that came later. Be interesting to see a cartoon series that captures that element.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Also of note that this isn't the first time Dennis the Menace had his own show. He did back in the 90's and from what I remember/heard, it's more like the comics and terms of how big of a menace Dennis was. I've seen a little of this new series, and he's pretty tame in comparison.

9. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I remember catching this earlier version on TV during a stay in the UK several years ago. It was more enjoyable and funnier than the newer one The Hub is airing.