1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

“Deltora Quest” Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Azrayel

Azrayel Active Member

I've been wanting to watch this show and I've tuned into some episodes and it's a fairly decent show, but sometimes this show makes me roll my eyes because the text just gets so boring.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The shows last few episodes were really good, and made up for some of the middle boring episodes. But did anyone else feel underwhelmed by the Shadow Lord?

3. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

I liked the swerve they did at the end with Lief & his parents actually being royality while Doom was friend. Yeah, the Shadow Lord just being a giant bug/spider wasn't exactly what I was expecting. But overall, it was a really nice show. I'm assuming the show isn't getting new episodes anytime soon, right?

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the show actually got about 11 more episodes, but they were never dubbed. They were all filler though, so its fine. If you want to see what happens next, the books continue the story.

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Actually, there are 13 more. Episode 52 was the "last" episode. It's just as well, though, since as pointed out, the first 52 episodes are the only ones that count...

6. zoid9000

zoid9000 Turn A Turn

Wow, I really disagree with that mentality. Just because the last 13 episodes were not based on the books doesn't somehow make them pointless and not worth watching. The people who made the anime obviously knew what they were doing since they adapted the source material rather well, their original content might fit right in for all you guys know. Honestly though I don't understand why the last 13 episodes weren't dubbed. Quite frankly, "filler" or not, I would have liked to see more adventures with Lief and co. and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. Oh well, I just think it's a shame that this show didn't get treated well here after the fall of Geneon, I can only imagine what they might have done with it instead.

That all being said, having seen the final 3 episodes of the show (63, 64, and 65) I think that they serve as a really nice wrap up to what was lacking in 52 since the "end" felt quite abrupt. We never really get to see the state of the kingdom after the final battle, or Lief's ascension to the throne, which is something they added in the "filler" episodes. Though they go out of their way to push the Lief/Jasmine pairing...but I suppose that makes sense after the twist with Dain.

Anyway, I rather enjoyed this series overall. I watched it on whim not being sure what to expect and I stuck with it because the characters were interesting and they managed to keep the story continuous and coherent (which is more appealing to me than something episodic). I definitely think it had some ups and downs, particularly in the beginning, but as time went on and they got closer to restoring the belt of Deltora it just got more exciting. The tension was definitely high when they started revealing all the plot twists, most of which I didn't expect, though I was always weary of Dain. I really like how they switched the story around with Jared and Doom though, it was a great way to find out that Lief was actually the true heir.

I do agree that the Shadow Lord himself (itself?) was rather lackluster, though the spell from the belt certainly made the final battle pretty flashy. However I think the Ools and Ak-Babas made for a more serious threat, in the end. Oh and that fire mage too, his name escapes me. A lot of those battles at the end were really well animated though, I recall Barta having a couple of great sword fights. At the end, the series left me impressed, despite having a few cheesy moments or two. It really does remind me of some classic fantasy adventures like Lodoss War, which is something you don't often see in anime. It's a shame we'll never fully be able to see the final 13 episodes since the show was never subbed either, and I don't imagine there will be a decent DVD release anytime in the future. At least Japan seemed to enjoy it.

7. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I've been watching Deltora Quest everyday this week thanks to DVR and I have to say that I've fallen quite in love with this series and am glad that The Hub decided to give it a chance. I didn't think much of Deltora Quest back when I first saw it when The Hub launched but now I'm totally all about it and I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for something fun to watch during the hours that this show airs or to someone who is a fan of fantasy anime. Check it out and let me know what you think, you may be surprised at what you see!

8. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

So, I've seen a couple episodes and thought it was decent. But I have a couple questions about it:

1. How accurate is the dub compared to the Japanese version?
    2. Were there any edits(if any)? If so, were they justified or unnecessary?
    3. Apparently some episodes were skipped. What was the reason for that?

9. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

1. It's a Blue Water dub, so expect a pretty straight forward localization.
    2. There are some edits for violence, and a replacement score.
    3. It's actually the last 13 episodes that weren't aired (or potentially even dubbed). That arch is filler material, and I've been told isn't important to the plot.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

The show is based on a series of books that were originally in English (the original author is Austrailian), so whether or not the dialogue in this version is accurate to the Japanese version is a moot point; what we're seeing is the "official" English version. That is to say, what I get out of this is that the English dialogue we're hearing is a direct adaptation of the source material itself. That being said however, I'm told that Sorceror Oacus was a character created just for the anime...

OTOH, I am disappointed that they replaced the OPs and EDs as well as the score. Also, I noticed an inconsistancy. The show has a copyright date of 2006, but it didn't air in Japan until 2007. That kind of makes me wonder if the English version was made first, or if the Japanese broadcast was simply delayed...

11. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

It probably has more so to do with when the series was first being produced. I've seen that with other productions where the copyright is a year before the actual airdate.

12. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

Woke up to find the show back on the schedule. So for those who missed it the first time around, or just wanna watch it again, it's on Weekdays at 6:30am.

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning