1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

“Deltora Quest” Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Oct 10, 2010.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I decided to turn this episode talkback thread into a series talkback thread. The Hub will be airing a lot of episodes of the series rather quickly, so a series talkback thread makes more sense. If you've seen any episodes of the series, please post here and let the community know what you thought.

2. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 Member

Watching it again, its not as bad as I first believed. The only things I don't like is the constant use of music in every scene (there needs to be at least some silent BGM in some scenes) and the use of cgi which looks out a place compared to the colorful characters and backgrounds. It would have been better if the CGI models were cel-shaded. Other than that, a decent cartoon.

3. ikey2

ikey2 Member

This was a pretty good show so far. It needs something but not quite sure what it is missing. However i plan to set this as a series recording.

4. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Saw this on Demand a while ago and figured I'd post my thoughts.

Episode 1 is a really slow start. Like ridiculously slow. Half the episode is Leif in his home listening to his parents explain the basic backstory of the show. Still, it has its moments. The part int he beginning where Leif is egging on the guards is a great way to introduce him, and Barda's reveal was alright. What I liked most was the way the whole village felt like the setting of a JRPG. You've got helpless villagers, a ruler abusing his power and sending his guards to secure areas, and the protagonist living outside the area. The music helps set that tone as well.

Next episode does pick-up though, so I'd advise you stick around for that one at least.

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I only wish they kept the OP and ED's from the Japanese version; that and the main soundtrack. However, this is the "official" English version, so whether or not it's faithful to the original Japanese version is irrelevant, at least partially because the original books were in English originally (the original author is Austrailian).

Incidentally, for those who may not know, this English version was produced by a company called DCI Los Angeles. They're a subsidiary of Dentsu America, who in turn are a subsidiary of Dentsu Inc, one of the orginal producers of the show. So, essentially, Dentsu, for all intends and purposes, produced the dub (which was recorded in Canada by Blue Water) themselves.

It also seems that only the first 55 episodes were dubbed. However, here's the odd part. Apparently, the final 10 episodes are all filler episodes. What this means is, they've only dubbed the part of the show that's actually relevant to the story from the original books. Personally I'm kind of on the fence on this. On one hand, the final 10 episodes were removed, and every episode of an anime should be produced, but on the other hand, they're not essential to the story. I've been watching anime for some time now, but I never expected this happen. I'll have to give it a little more though.

Incidentally, Lief sounds kind of like Brad Swaille. Does anyone know if that's him?

One other thing, reportedly, Emily Rodda had gotten several film offers, but had accepted the anime offer because the makers of the show (Genco and OLM) were the only ones who wouldn't change the story.

6. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #Toonami - Saturdays 11pm-4am!

According to the credits, Lief's VA is Cole Howard.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

As someone who has read the books, wow. They reall sped past some parts, I guess to get to the good stuff sooner. So far, a good start. And it'll get even better.

8. jph139

jph139 Immortal

I've been looking forward to Deltora Quest since it came out, what, three years ago? It's kind of juggled from company to company if I recall correctly, but, awesome that it's finally out - and on TV, no less!

First episode was a great set-up. I miss the first half of the book, focusing on the previous generation and the coming of the Shadow Lord and all that, since it was probably my favorite part of the novel... but, I can see why they cut it, definitely. Otherwise it's a great adaptation thusfar - recognizable scenes, trimming the fat, so on, so forth.

Of course, I only read the first book when I was younger, so anything past episode, like, four, will be entirely new to me. So, yay? :p

9. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Saw the first episode last night, felt like the tutorial level in a video game. From what I saw, the action was ok, but the story felt really slow. Still going to watch it due to hearing how better it gets from here.

10. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

This was kind of neat. I checked out the first episode before Batman Beyond not expecting much. What I got was a kid-friendly fantasy anime with a decent dub and a kind of cliche story (Well this is only episode one). I'll definitely be watching. Man, afternoons with a show like this and the aforementioned Batman Beyond really bring back Toonami flashbacks. Wish the Hub would show the old Transformers and G.I. Joe around this time so I could watch them with my brother.

11. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I wasn't too impressed by the first episode, in fact, I felt that it kind of dragged and I was completely uninterested which is a shame because I was really looking forward to seeing it since I've never heard of it before. I will try to catch a couple more episodes on The Hub before I make up my mind on the show, I like to give programs a fair chance before I totally make my mind up on them seeing as how I've missed out on some really good stuff in the past by judging too quickly.

12. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Second episode was definitely better than the first. I'm starting to think it's just taking me awhile to get used to some of the clichés this show drops:

- While an ordinary boy goes on adventures, he doesn't transport to another world
    - His father goes with him, instead of him going at it alone
    - He doesn't yell out the name of his attacks

Definitely going to continue it. I noticed some of the BGM seems recycled from Monster Rancher though... not that that's a bad thing.

13. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

In today's installment (episode 3), the scene where Barda gets injured (or temporarily killed?) by the Golden Knight looked edited. Was he actually stabbed in the Japanese version? The way the scene flowed was confusing.

14. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'm not sure about that. However, I did notice the CGI in this episode. Nonetheless, it didn't bother me.

15. Chaos Yoshi Mage

No wonder I keep getting a Monster Rancher vibe from this show. It has the same dub music!

The CG in this show is kind of terrible, but I love the 2D designs and the animation isn't too bad.

16. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 Member

This show has way too much CGI. Was having the Golden Knight and falling trees animated in 3D even necessary? [​IMG]

17. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Yeah, the CGi is kind of... glaring... but I don't mind it too much. Certainly makes the big bads "pop," y'know?

Good episode, though I didn't originally expect them to get the first gem so soon - just about two episodes! I imagine the rest will be paced a bit more slowly.

18. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Does anyone else remember Shinzo (I believe it's original name was Mushrambo)?

Anyway, this show kind of reminds me of that one, too.

19. Kirben

Kirben Member

That would be due to the English version been butchered I expect. The English version changes the opening sequence, changes the closing sequence, adds/changes music, changes the order of some scenes and removes some scenes. Plus the series is been show pan and scan, when the series was produced for widescreen.

Maybe someone more familiar with the original Japanese episodes, can provide comparisons for episodes in the future.

20. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

About the complaining of too much CGI:

This is from OLM, the guys who animated Pokemon. You know how they love CGI, especially in the Pokemon movies.