1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

“Cosmic Quantum Ray” Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Mr. Blau, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Well, actually...

There's a toy deal because it was linked to the airing of the series in the U.S. (Animania not counting) I read the business pages religiously. The day it appeared on The Hub, the toy deal kicked in.

Yes, it's true not everything that wins awards in Europe succeeds in the U.S. But not succeeding in the U.S. doesn't mean something is bad. MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT won the Emmy two weeks after it was cancelled. NBC's Thursday line-up is hailed by critics, but it's got the lowest ratings NBC has ever had on a Thursday night.

So COSMIC QUANTUM RAY is good. It's won awards. And with some luck and good word-of-mouth it will be successful in the U.S. Besides, it has a leg up on other foreign productions -- it was produced in the U.S.

Mr. Blau "STOP IN THE NAME OF NATURAL LAW!"

2. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

This week's cqr

Okay, let's talk about this week's COSMIC QUANTUM RAY. I'm not sure which ep is airing and I'm having a hard time getting the right information from the Hub website.

If it's WHAT'S UP WITH GRAVITY we get to learn how and why a normal Earth kid like Robbie Shipton is part of a super-powered super group. We also get to meet a new villain Contessa De Worm -- an alien who can create wormholes at will -- and likes to make lots of money. Also... we get to meet Robbie's mom -- a real estate agent who never takes the bluetooth out of her ear.

If it's THERE'S A UNIVERSE IN SCOTT'S HEAD we get to see Robbie and Scott Stotz pretend they're friends while Robbie tries to figure out how to extract a baby universe from Scott's head before it goes "big bang" and Scott's head explodes.

MR. BLAU "Are you going to eat that?"

3. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

The only one

Yah!!!!! Oh, no!!!! Only one airing of cosmic quantum ray this weekend. Saturday!!!

Curse you halloween programming!!!!

Mr. Blau (angrily shaking his hand at the heavens)

4. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

This week: What's up with gavity?

Okay, the scheduling seems to be a bit weird. The Hub is listing WHAT'S UP WITH GRAVITY this week, which I thought was aired a week ago. Nonetheless, a very important episode in this series. What happens when gravity is lowered on Earth? Did you know that it would cause violent storms if our gravity dropped?

By now, I assume you guys have figured out I'm German. I saw the series on KI.KA in Germany two years ago, then came to the U.S. I am delighted to see the series in it's original English-language version. It's great to re-watch my favorite episodes.

If you like, check out YOU TUBE there are many clip of the German-language version of Cosmic Quantum Ray. And in Germany Bucketworth is called Buckingham.

By the way, did you know that in France the series is not titled COSMIC QUANTUM RAY, it's called COSMIC QUANTUM ROBBIE. The French wanted to stress the "youth" element.

Mr. Blau "Are you going to eat that?"

5. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Ray vs Transformers

I was watching the 2nd TRANSFORMERS movie and after evaluating Michael Bay's talent -- I think Cosmic Quantum Ray could take them. All of them. All at once or one at a time. Of course, this is only the Michael Bay TRANSFORMERS. The cartoon version would probably mop the floors with Ray. But it would be an interesting fight.

6. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Fermions, bosons, fermionic condensates

Well, since no one wants to talk about Cosmic Quantum Ray, lets talk about what's at the core of Quantum Ray -- QUANTUM PHYSICS.

Here's a basic QP theorum: everything is energy. EVERYTHING.

Now, how do we go about finding an example of this. How about fermionic condensates. This is a fairly new delopement in QP.

Bosons are the particles that make light and energy act like light and energy. Bosons line up in these perfect straight lines and that's how they like to travel. Electricity going through copper travels in a straight line. And copper is a good conductor because it allows bosons to travel the way they like. But even copper gets hot as more and more electricity pours through it. Why? Because even a great conductor like copper offers RESISTANCE to the electricity. Resistance equals friction equals heat. A good example of this is when lightning hits a tree the tree either explodes or catches fire. Why? Resistance.

The tree, like all solid matter is made of fermions. Fermions don't like straight lines. They're all jumbled up.So when the electricity strikes them they put up a fight. Wood is not a good conductor because it puts up too much of a fight for the electricity. Copper, silver, platinum are all metals that are good conductors, therefore they don't explode when electricity travels through them. However, they can get hot enough that they melt.

But what if you could make anything not only a good conductor but a SUPER CONDUCTOR of electricity. Well, about 4 years ago somebody discovered that if you lower the temperature of solid matter (fermionic) down to near absolute zero -- the fermions act like bosons. They form a straight line. And bosons love to travel a straight line. Suddenly wood becomes a better conductor than copper. And will no resistance the wood doesn't even get hot. And with no resistance the electricity shot in one end, comes out the other end COMPLETE -- no bosons lost to resistance.

What does this mean for the future. Not much, just more efficient power distribution around the world, trains that travel on a cushion of magnetism, and cheaper energy for all.

Mr. Blau (he knows how)

7. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

"What's Up with Gravity?"

I saw the episode "What's Up with Gravity?" this past Friday, making this the 3rd episode of Cosmic Quantum Ray that I've seen to date. If I have one criticism about CQR, it's that I'm not crazy about how every episode has to somehow involve Robbie's school. I have to say that this is my least favorite aspect of the show, as Robbie's school is filled with the same generic student (potential love interest, jock-jerk, nerdy overachiever, crazy geek kid) and teacher archetypes that I've seen a dozen other times in a dozen other shows. Anyway, the story itself was amusing. I liked how it dealt with Robbie's insecurities about why he's a part of Team Quantum since he's the only "normal" human on the team, even if the plot was somewhat predictable, since I knew right from the get-go that Robbie would be the one who ended up saving the day. I also liked seeing Robbie's mother; she was an interesting and amusing character, despite those "deer-in-a-headlight-" eyes of hers. I also liked how Robbie's mom actually took part in this week's adventure, even if she did get her mind wiped at the end.

The characters whom I enjoy the most are Ray himself and the twins Atee & Geecee. I like how Ray has a not-too-serious personality despite his being the stoic super hero, and being an identical twin myself, I tend to enjoy seeing twin characters of any kind on TV. Also, is it just me, or are Atee & Geecee harboring a not-so-subtle crush on Robbie?

Overall, Cosmic Quantum Ray isn't the greatest show that I've ever seen, but still, I can see myself watching more of it.

8. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Interesting point

You know when you brought up the school issue I recalled an article on one of the European animation blogs about 2 years ago. Cosmic Quantum Ray was a co-production of KI.KA in Germany and M6 in France. Apparently the French wanted a school show and the Germans wanted an outer space show and the blending of school and outer space was the compromise that got the show launched.

Some of the school stuff is predictable -- kids have to have something to identify with. But surely Olga, the alien cafeteria lady, isn't formulaic. I don't think any show has had a radical feminist, vegan, animal-rights activist like Allison. And I know that no show has ever had a Chip Monahan -- a geeky kid who is the school's official mascot and who never removes his FIGHTING SQUIRRELS squirrel costume.

Also, Robbie may be the first superhero who's from a single-parent home and his mother is a real estate agent who never removes her bluetooth from her ear -- and you can't tell whether she's talking to you or a client.

Mr. Blau "Smells like barbequed dog hair."

9. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Well-Known Member

Also,i can actually figure that Cosmic Q. Ray is voiced by Tom Kenny. cause his voice sounds alotly fimiliar..

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yep, it is indeed Tom Kenny as Ray.

11. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Episode alert!!!

TO ALL:

This Friday the Hub is showing ALLISON'S NEW PET on COSMIC QUANTUM RAY.

SEE IT!!! IT IS HILARIOUS!!! IT'S WORTH IT JUST TO SEE THE DASDING. After the episode airs I can tell you the history of the Dasding (revealed on German TV by the station announcer).

-- Mr. Blau "Great. It moos like a cow and eats like a pig. What a bargain."

12. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Me, robot

This weekend had a great, great episode of COSMIC QUANTUM RAY. "ME, ROBOT" was fantastic. Not just the script, but the directing on this particular episode was amazing. The comic timing was dead on. Congrats to the director.

Mr. Blau - "It doesn't make sense!"

13. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Allison's new pet -- best cartoon ever!!!

I'm watching COSMIC QUANTUM RAY new episode ALLISON'S NEW PET.

THIS IS THE BEST ANIMATED SERIES I'VE EVER WATCHED IN MY LIFE!!! This episode, in particular, is amazingly funny -- especially when Ray get's "eaten."

I WANT MY OWN DASDING!!!

BTW-- the name of the creature, the Dasding, is German for "THE THING."

-- Mr. Blau (just ask him how)

14. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Allison's new pet -- best cartoon ever!!!

I'm watching COSMIC QUANTUM RAY new episode ALLISON'S NEW PET.

THIS IS THE BEST ANIMATED SERIES I'VE EVER WATCHED IN MY LIFE!!! This episode, in particular, is amazingly funny -- especially when Ray gets "eaten."

I WANT MY OWN DASDING!!!

BTW-- the name of the creature, the Dasding, is German for "THE THING."

-- Mr. Blau (just ask him how)

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I'm liking Cosmic Quantum Ray so far, but I really wish that every single episode didn't have have to involve Robbie's school. This backdrop has been done to death and the characters in this enviroment range from being generic to annoying (especially Allison, who's always on a soapbox about something), although, I must admit that Scott makes me chuckle sometimes, mainly because Mr. Matt Hill (Ed from Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy) does his voice. That element brings down the show for me and it keep CQR from being a favorite show of mine. I guess I wouldn't mind the school shtick so much if we got a break from it once in a while, but over and over, it just becomes somewhat tedious. No offense to any of CQR's fans, though. Personally, I'd prefer it if the entire show took place in outer space, same deal with Atomic Betty.

#35 Goldstar Neo, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
  16. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

There's a reason for the school

Yeah, I like outer space more than school, too. But from what I've gathered from several sources (including an on-line interview with the Head Writers) this was a compromise between the German and French networks who bankrolled the show. The Germans wanted a space show and the French wanted a school show (at this time almost all the French produced series had a school element to them) and so they got an outer space/school show.

-- Mr. Blau (he's not a cow)

17. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

The voice of the Dasding

Okay, everyone knows Tom Kenny is Cosmic Quantum Ray -- but I just found out there's also a celebrity voice behing the "moo-ing" of the Dasding. Anybody want to guess who it is? (without looking at the end credits).

Mr. Blau CHALLENGES YOU!!!

18. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

Cosmic quantum ray

Okay. I watch faithfully. I watched the German version. I'm stunned. THIS IS A GREAT SERIES IN BEAUTIFUL CGI!!!

GIMME MORE!!!!

-- Mr. Blau (he sees it all now)

19. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

It's funny that you mention that. I remember watching the first episode and thinking that the mix of school and galactic duties was a once-in-a-while thing but then the next episode did it and then the next one and the next one and so on and so forth.

Do you have a link to the interview?

20. Mr. Blau

Mr. Blau Member

The Interview

I'll try and find the interview for you. It was for German television, but it's in English (I believe the head writers live in Los Angeles). It was right after Cosmic Quantum Ray won the Pulcinella Award (it's like the European Emmy awards for animation) for Best Series (beating, by the way, Disney, Cartoon Network and Nick who all had series in contention).

Mr. Blau (he'll get back to you, but not right now)