1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

“Animated DCU: N Degrees of separation”

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by DarkLantern, Feb 12, 2003.

1. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

Thanks, but about those exact numbers...isn't the matter usually academic if you can do it in less than the perscribed amount? For example, I could have just named any other character the pair encountered in Girls' Night Out before naming Supergirl, like this:

Batgirl
    1. Poison Ivy (fought in GNO)
    2. Livewire (also in GNO)
    3. Supergirl (ditto)
    4. Lashina (fought in LGL)

It would work for almost any connection. It is very easy to stretch out to more degrees of separation if you have a direct path. In fact, the general idea of the original game (Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon) is to do it in as few degrees as possible.

The fun way of getting people to guess the path you chose, or a similarly obscure path, is to make all those restrictions, like "no sidekicks" or no male characters, or nobody voiced by Phil Lamarr, or whatever tickles the fancy of the question-maker that day. Saying you have to do it in exactly the same amount doesn't really encourage the same level of lateral thinking. Equal or less than should really be the general rule. There might be some very isolated instances where having to use more degrees adds challenge, though I have no idea what they would be. Still, any asker, if they discover such an instance, could make such a restriction for their question, right?

2. DarkLantern

DarkLantern Keeping my promise

You make a valid point, Murmur, but as I have stated before, this game is called “N Degrees” for a reason, and the exact number was meant to make this game a bit of a challenge. Under the current rules, your “ring around the rosies” example would have been allowed, so in the interest of making this game challenging, I can adjust the rules to either forbid more than one connection from a certain episode, or to eliminate Robin (both of them), Batgirl, Supergirl, and Nightwing as possible connections.

What do you and other people think? You can send me a PM if you don’t wish to comment on the board itself.

DL

3. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

4. DarkLantern

Hmm… Let’s try Mumur’s suggestion, to a degree (heh).

In other words:

The asker will name two characters, and whoever can provide the least number of connections within the first 24-hour period wins the round (if the poster can prove a direct (i.e zero) connection, then s/he is the instant winner). However, to make this work, we’ll have to have an episode reference for each connection, unless it’s obvious (i.e Nightwing and Robin)

Supes, Bats, Beyond Bats, and JL members are still off limits. And I’ll take Murmur’s suggestion and also prohibit the Joker and Harley from being used. All other restrictions are up to the asker.

Let’s try this for a few rounds, and if everyone likes it better this way, I’ll update the rules on Post #1 to match.

If you don’t mind, I’ll start:

Connect…

Brainiac
    Sazu

Go!

DL
    (“I can name that tune in 6 notes…”)

5. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

1. Braniac victimized Lex Luthor in both "Stolen Memories" and "Ghost in the Machine."
    2. Lex was subject to a random attack on his property by Lobo's fight with Supes in "The Main Man, pt. 1."
    3. Lobo crashed into Almerac's throne room to woo Maxima in "Warrior Queen."

(I think Sazu might have been there too when Lobo shocked Maxima and everyone else in the throne room, though I cannot recall for sure--if not, then step 4 would be...)

4. Maxima shared much of her screen time conversing with Sazu in the same episode.

EDIT: I tried and tried, but under TZ's new vBulletin format, I apparently cannot insert any text into a quote without it being bold. :frylock: Look for my dashes.

6. DarkLantern

7. DarkLantern

Murmur, you are up.

DL

8. The Detective

The Detective Active Member

Hmmm, I've not been playing but I dropped back in here and I think that the JL members should be left up to the askers dicrestion. I mean, at only one season so far there are a lot of villians that have more connections that the JL members.

9. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

Hey, DL, I'm curious, what were your connections? Or did you have any prepared?

Here's the new one:

Connect Clayface and Darkseid.

I agree with DK btw, but I guess I already kinda said that...

10. DarkLantern

When I developed the game, I determined that using the “stars of the show” would make things less challenging. That was my reason for eliminating the JL members. Consider this:

Connect Brainiac and Aresia.

If we use JL members, then Hawkgirl will quickly fill the connection. But if we don’t, then we have to use our thinking caps a little more (Luthor, Star Sapphire … okay bad example, but I think you get the idea).

Tell you what, as all other restrictions are designated by the asker, all exceptions to the rules can be as well. In other words, no using JL members unless the asker says you can. Is that a fair compromise?

Oh, and my connections were:

Brainiac
    Bizarro (Bizzaro’s World)
    Krypto (Bizzaro’s World)
    Preserver (Main Main)
    Lobo (Main Main)
    Maxima (Warrior Queen)
    Sazu (Warrior Queen)

I momentarily forgot about Lobo smashing through Luthor’s office. Heh.

DL

11. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

If you do use a JL character in your question, then no doubt the JL would make it easier. But if not, they won't, and may in fact be part of an interesting cross-series challenge.

I guess. But doing that is a pretty big hint. If you say that JL is allowed it basically tells everyone that one of the five JL members other than Bats or Supes is part of the intended solution.

Braniac was in Bizzaro's World? Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah, you mean the orb? And yeah, I think Luthor even had a voice credit in Main Man from that scene. I told you Luthor was one to watch out for!

12. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

So...are we going with Clayface and Darksied still? I've gotten lost in this thread...

*CONFUZZLED*

-Tim

13. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

AFAIK, Clayface and Darkseid are still up. You have a guess for it Tim? It's actually pretty simple.

14. TimTwoFace

Clayface to Darkseid, in any amount of steps? Seems simple enough.

Clayface
    1. Roland Daggett (voiced by Ed Asner)
    2. Granny Goodness (voiced by Ed Asner)
    3. Darkseid

I gotta rush off to work, so you guys can take my question. :)

-Tim

15. DarkLantern

You know, if "Twilight" aired I can go one step shorter:

Clayface
    1. Orion (Ron Perlman, in "Twilight")
    2. Darkseid (Orion's dad)

But I can't... yet.

DL

16. TimTwoFace

All right, well since I won ;) let's continue with this one:

Dr. Price *from BATMAN BEYOND*
    4. Thomas Wayne

-Tim

17. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

DL, please put that last comment in spoilers!
    Tim, your question's a toughie, but you should take a look at DL's new rules...

18. TimTwoFace

Yep, I looked at his new rules, and my question doesn't need the JL, Batman Beyond, or any of Bats' and Supes' sidekicks in order to complete it.

I'll give you a hint...Dr. Price is the military gal from the Batman Beyond episode JOYRIDE. :)

Dr. Price *from BATMAN BEYOND*
    4. Thomas Waynep

-Tim

19. DarkLantern

Murmur,

The bit about Ron Perlman portraying Orion is not a spoiler... it was revealed in the TZ News quite a while ago. However, if I were to say...

Well, you get the picture.

Back to the game!

DL

20. DarkLantern

The new rules also state that we don't have to list a number anymore, just whoever can get the shortest amount of connections in 24 hours wins. I must admit, doing it in 4 has me stumped, though I can do it in 6:

Dr. Price
    1. Cue (one of the Ts warned by Price and Batman in "Joyride")
    2. Bell (voiced by Cue's Scott Valentine, henchman to…)
    3. Roland Dagget (From “Feat of Clay”)
    4. Nitro (arsonist hired by Dagget in “Appointment in Crime Alley”)
    5. Leslie Thomkins (one of Nitro’s victims in “Appointment”)
    6. Thomas Wayne (friend of Leslie, I believe this was established in “Appointment” as well)

Unless you were thinking:
    Dr. Price
    1. Cue (one of the Ts warned by Price and Batman in "Joyride")
    2. Chemist (voiced by Cue's Scott Valentine, in "Batgirl Returns")
    3. Catwoman/Selina Kyle (From “Batgirl Returns”)
    4. Thomas Wayne (whom Selina "met" in Mad Hatter's fantasy world in “Perchance to Dream")

DL