1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

“50 Most Influential Visual Effects Films of All Time” Unveiled!

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Wonder Woman, May 14, 2007.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This is a very cool press release I found when going through my regular web-haunts:

2. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

I feel like we don't really need 50 of these, but I guess it's important to them. Anyway, I can't really argue with those choices. I almost want Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within to be up there, but it wasn't really influential.

3. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

I don't get why the entire Original Star Wars trilogy is in there... I mean yeah they were influencial but was there THAT much of a gap in between EACH of them? 2 of them would have been enough IMO. Jim Henson's Dark Crystal or Labyrinth would have deserved a spot in there.

King Kong 2005 Meh... there was nothing all that groundbreakingly influencial in that movie -.-

It pains me to see Forbidden Planet ignored time and time again... oh well...

4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Absolutely. I completely agree. If they wanted another giant monster flick they should have used the original '54 Godzilla movie.

5. Undrave

Yeah Gojira should have a spot too! This list is serverly Hollywood-centric it's not even funny... at least Metropolis and 'A Trip to the Moon' (That was a Melies movie right?) made it.

Oops... I just realised I missed Forbidden Planet, it's there at number 34 ^^;; sorry.

On the topic of 'debatable choice' was is Dead Man Chest doing there? I didn't see the film but what was so SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME it's considered influencial... ONE YEAR LATER?! That Davy Jones character?!

6. SirLemming

"Influential" is debatable since there's barely any possibility that its influence has been seen in any movies yet... However, Davey Jones' face is pretty much the best CGI I've ever seen. I thought for sure that it was computer-assisted, not completely computer-rendered.

7. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Considering Hollywood makes the most expensive and biggest pictures in the world, it makes sense.

8. Undrave

It's completly CGI? Nice... then yeah it's a nice accomplishement ,but I too don't think they can judge how influential it is since it was released last year! Heck even a 2005 movie is way too soon to judge how influential it is.

9. SirLemming

I did some digging in the talkback thread to find these:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Undrave

Even the entire costume? Nice.

But still how could it be influential when it was released last year? How do you mesure it's influence???

11. SirLemming

Yeah, I agree on that. I'm just showing off how great the special effects really are.

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

As I appear to be the one person who like Jackson's King Kong, I'll ask what level of influence of Gojira was on this side of the pond? In Japan, yes, the whole toku wave, but here? Not so much, IMO. Great to see Citizen Kane, finally acknowledged as a special effects movie, which it in essence is. And nothing could please me more than see Harryhausen get the well-deserved shout-outs. Damned Pirates franchise. Curse you. 2001 and Star Wars are pretty tight tie to my mind. Star Wars probably won out for its energy; it really ratched Kubrick's vision past the next level. Of course, as almost all of the effects shots have been painted over and Lucas will never release the original version anyways, it doesn't make a difference. Nice to see how one man's ego has destroyed three cinematic landmarks. Sorry. Went bitter there. Blade Runner was an excellent choice, but it's so beautifully seemless that I'd have forgotten to include it!