Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    B Mode is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"23 skidoo" or "chicken inspector"

Like This Thread!
    Where did the phrase "23 skidoo" or "chicken inspector" originate from in WB shorts?
    Last edited by B Mode; 12-31-2003 at 04:00 AM.

Larry T is offline GET IT RIGHT!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

WB phrases

I believe "23 Skee-doo" was a saying that was associated to football gridiron chants in the 1920s, it might have meant "let's get going".

"Chicken Inspector" was a term used to describe a guy who liked to keep a close eye on the ladies (and maybe even more, if he could get that far ). I believe that "Chicken" might have come from "Chick" describing a sexy young lady.... and "Inspector" was a way to comically validate the term (much like F.B.I. meaning "Feminine Body Inspector"... ).

"The vicar's daughter, she was there, she had us all in fits ;

By jumping off the mantlepiece and landing on her -

....actually, it wasn't baked beans, it was....SPLAT!!!"

absolutpaul is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Oh You Kid" is another one of those old sayings that doesn't make sense now.

B Mode is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutpaul
    "Oh You Kid" is another one of those old sayings that doesn't make sense now.
    I thought it was "Oh you cad"...?

rodney is offline one lucky duck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    nope. it's 'oh you kid'.

Thad Komorowski is offline undecided
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's definitley 'Oh You Kid!' ... It's on Woody's badge in "Knock! Knock!" and Daffy's in "Drip-a-Long Daffy".

-Thad

If evolution happened, then why are there still monkeys?

Jave is offline So Smashing... In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    It's definitley 'Oh You Kid!' ... It's on Woody's badge in "Knock! Knock!" and Daffy's in "Drip-a-Long Daffy".

-Thad
    Wasn't that in "The Zoot Cat" as well?
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

pogo is offline Resident Cynic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "23 Skidoo!" - a mild expressions of enthusiasm or endorsement - see "hubba, hubba!" as the last term I know which was so mild and almost charming. Newer ones of which I am aware do not fall under the "PG" rating dictated for this board. Ummm, maybe "Hot Damn!" comes close, but is too vulgar to fill "23 Skidoo"'s shoes.

"Oh you kid" - term of romantic affection said (usually) by a man to a woman - see "Here's looking at you, kid" for a similar construct. I'd translate it as "You're adorable".

The "Chicken Inspector" badge/joke was dead before I arrived on the scene.

absolutpaul is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently old lines like "Hold on to your hats, folks...here we go again" and "Something new has been added!" were punch lines to then popular dirty jokes. But I have no idea what those jokes were.

guy incognito is offline Ultra-Maroon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The phrase "23 skidoo" has a rather interesting origin. At the turn of the century the Flatiron Building (at that time the world's tallest) was erected on 23rd Street in Lower Manhattan. The building's location and triangular shape often created heavy updrafts at street level, and these would sometimes cause women's skirts to blow upward. This, in turn, attracted crowds of men hoping to catch a forbidden glimpse of ankle or lower calf (!), and police would disperse these oglers by telling them to "23 skidoo", i.e. beat it down 23rd Street.

"Oh, you kid" also dates from the turn of the century, and originated in a popular song by Harry Armstrong (composer of "Sweet Adeline") entitled "I Love My Wife, But Oh, You Kid!".

These expressions were already anachronisms by the time the cartoons came out. I'm sure they were chosen for that very reason, in the same way you can score easy laughs with contemporary audiences by using stuff like "groovy" and "keep on truckin'".
    Last edited by guy incognito; 12-31-2003 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast