Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pietro is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Classic Cartoon Characters in "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade"

Like This Thread!
    I don't think we ever did this thread before, but oh well. Let's see if we can name some of the classic cartoon stars that have appeared at "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade."

Off the top of my head I can think of Bullwinkle J. Moose, Underdog, and Felix the Cat (the first one who appeared back in 1933).

Can anyone name any others?

-Pietro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget Woody Woodpecker!

He was a tradition in the Macy's Parade until 1997 when he was retired due to new balloon size restrictions. Thanksgiving hasn't been quite the same since.

Olive Oyl, Yogi Bear, Pink Panther, Bugs Bunny (appeared in the 1990 parade to tie-in with his 50th birthday), Betty Boop, Snoopy, Mickey Mouse, and Donald Duck also have had balloons over the years.

-Jon

nakak is offline Don't break a Pinkie Promise.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think back in 1990, Linus the Lionhearted was part of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The British Pathe website has newsreel clips available for download of the 1934 and 1935 parades. In both, Disney characters are dominant (and there's sadly no sign of Felix).
    1934 includes Mickey Mouse and Practical Pig.
    1935, probably Disney's best showing of all time, includes Mickey, Practical, Big Bad Wolf, Horace Horsecollar, Pluto, and a long-billed Donald Duck. You'd think they'd know better than to base a balloon on that model of Donald. Its long neck and beak can't handle the wind, making for a ludicrous sight and some nyuks from the newsreel narrator.

J Lee is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Gerstein
    The British Pathe website has newsreel clips available for download of the 1934 and 1935 parades. In both, Disney characters are dominant (and there's sadly no sign of Felix).
    1934 includes Mickey Mouse and Practical Pig.
    1935, probably Disney's best showing of all time, includes Mickey, Practical, Big Bad Wolf, Horace Horsecollar, Pluto, and a long-billed Donald Duck. You'd think they'd know better than to base a balloon on that model of Donald. Its long neck and beak can't handle the wind, making for a ludicrous sight and some nyuks from the newsreel narrator.
    Hey maybe that was the reason Walt had Donald redesigned in 1936 -- not to make him cuter, but to make him more aerodynamic for the two-mile trip down Central Park West and Broadway.

Bobby B is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Twacy
    I don't think we ever did this thread before, but oh well. Let's see if we can name some of the classic cartoon stars that have appeared at "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade."

Between 1957 and 1969, there was a Popeye balloon. Supposedly stock footage of it is in an episode of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.".

Daffyfan2003 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems like they never show the really popular characters from classic cartoons anymore. Bugs and Daffy haven't been in the parade in years. The only balloons that they had that interested me were probably Garfield and the Muppets.
    Stewie: (Looking at the family in the pilot episode) What's with Meg's voice? She sounds like someone who's about to give up on a huge opportunity.

Cartman is offline Flute Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyfan2003
    It seems like they never show the really popular characters from classic cartoons anymore. Bugs and Daffy haven't been in the parade in years. The only balloons that they had that interested me were probably Garfield and the Muppets.
    Garfield could be considered "classic" by now. How old does a cartoon have to be in order for it to be considered classic?
    Buy my new book THE HEATHER COMICS at Lulu.com

Daniel P is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Garfield could be considered "classic" by now. How old does a cartoon have to be in order for it to be considered classic?
    I wouldn't consider Garfield classic; it's an awful comic strip. "Calvin and Hobbes," on the other hand, is a classic, in my opinion. Classics are not only defined by age but also by how good something is. Just because "Scooby Doo" is old doesn't mean it's classic.

Mad Monkey 7 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Goofy had a ballon as well.
    Buy "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" on Vista DVD to help support Roger Rabbit's comeback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast