Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Pietro is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Classic Cartoon Characters in "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade"

Like This Thread!

I don't think we ever did this thread before, but oh well. Let's see if we can name some of the classic cartoon stars that have appeared at "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade."

Off the top of my head I can think of Bullwinkle J. Moose, Underdog, and Felix the Cat (the first one who appeared back in 1933).

Can anyone name any others?

-Pietro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget Woody Woodpecker!

He was a tradition in the Macy's Parade until 1997 when he was retired due to new balloon size restrictions. Thanksgiving hasn't been quite the same since.

Olive Oyl, Yogi Bear, Pink Panther, Bugs Bunny (appeared in the 1990 parade to tie-in with his 50th birthday), Betty Boop, Snoopy, Mickey Mouse, and Donald Duck also have had balloons over the years.

-Jon

nakak is offline Don't break a Pinkie Promise.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think back in 1990, Linus the Lionhearted was part of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The British Pathe website has newsreel clips available for download of the 1934 and 1935 parades. In both, Disney characters are dominant (and there's sadly no sign of Felix).
    1934 includes Mickey Mouse and Practical Pig.
    1935, probably Disney's best showing of all time, includes Mickey, Practical, Big Bad Wolf, Horace Horsecollar, Pluto, and a long-billed Donald Duck. You'd think they'd know better than to base a balloon on that model of Donald. Its long neck and beak can't handle the wind, making for a ludicrous sight and some nyuks from the newsreel narrator.

J Lee is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Gerstein
    The British Pathe website has newsreel clips available for download of the 1934 and 1935 parades. In both, Disney characters are dominant (and there's sadly no sign of Felix).
    1934 includes Mickey Mouse and Practical Pig.
    1935, probably Disney's best showing of all time, includes Mickey, Practical, Big Bad Wolf, Horace Horsecollar, Pluto, and a long-billed Donald Duck. You'd think they'd know better than to base a balloon on that model of Donald. Its long neck and beak can't handle the wind, making for a ludicrous sight and some nyuks from the newsreel narrator.
    Hey maybe that was the reason Walt had Donald redesigned in 1936 -- not to make him cuter, but to make him more aerodynamic for the two-mile trip down Central Park West and Broadway.

Bobby B is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Twacy
    I don't think we ever did this thread before, but oh well. Let's see if we can name some of the classic cartoon stars that have appeared at "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade."

Between 1957 and 1969, there was a Popeye balloon. Supposedly stock footage of it is in an episode of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.".

Daffyfan2003 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems like they never show the really popular characters from classic cartoons anymore. Bugs and Daffy haven't been in the parade in years. The only balloons that they had that interested me were probably Garfield and the Muppets.
    Kenny
    Ma Arbuckle: You weren't thinking of putting chili powder in my sausage gravy now, were you, grandma?
    Grandma: No. Heavens to betsy, child. Why would you think such a thing? Just because my chili gravy won a blue ribbon at the county fair and yours didn't even place. Who am I to tell you how to make sausage gravy? The Green County gravy champion, that's who.

Cartman is offline Flute Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyfan2003
    It seems like they never show the really popular characters from classic cartoons anymore. Bugs and Daffy haven't been in the parade in years. The only balloons that they had that interested me were probably Garfield and the Muppets.
    Garfield could be considered "classic" by now. How old does a cartoon have to be in order for it to be considered classic?
    Buy my new book THE HEATHER COMICS at Lulu.com

Daniel P is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Garfield could be considered "classic" by now. How old does a cartoon have to be in order for it to be considered classic?
    I wouldn't consider Garfield classic; it's an awful comic strip. "Calvin and Hobbes," on the other hand, is a classic, in my opinion. Classics are not only defined by age but also by how good something is. Just because "Scooby Doo" is old doesn't mean it's classic.

Mad Monkey 7 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Goofy had a ballon as well.
    Buy "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" on Vista DVD to help support Roger Rabbit's comeback.

Nelson is offline KrAzY KaT has been found
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can be able to help and give a list of the famous cartoon characters that have appeared in Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.Below is the list of each of thefamous characters that made their debut and when they were retired.

"Felix The Cat" 1927 -?

1st "Mickey Mouse" balloon 1934 to 1941, 2nd Mickey Balloon 1970-1982 3rd Mickey balloon 2000

1st "Superman" balloon 1939- ? 2nd "Superman" balloon 1967-1970, 3rd "Superman" 1980 -1993

1st "Bullwinkle" balloon 1961-1983, 2nd "Bullwinkle" balloon w Rocky 1996 -2001

"Linus The Lionhearted" 1964-1992

"Mighty Mouse" 1956 - 1972

"Popeye" 1957 -1969

"Donald Duck" 1962 -1984

"Underdog" 1965 - 1984

"Woody Woodpecker" 1982 -1996

"Smokey Bear" 1967 - 1993

"Pink Panther" 1988-1996

"Bugs Bunny" 1989 - 1993

"Goofy" 1993

"Yogi Bear" 1983 - 1985

"Betty Boop" 1985 -1994

"Olive Oyl" 1982 -1986

"The Happy Dragon" 1960 -1993

1st "Snoopy" balloon 1968 -1985, 2nd Snoopy balloon 1987 - 1994, 3rd Snoopy balloon 1999 2001

"Dino The Dinosaur" 1963 -1976

1st "Garfield" balloon 1984 -1996, 2nd Garfield balloon 2003

1st "Kermit The Frog balloon 1977 - 1990, 2nd Kermit balloon 2002 -?

Today, a major company has contact and to pay "big bucks" if they want to have their character in the Macy's parade and pay an certain amount every year, if they want the character to appear in future parades.Over twenty years ago, it was totally different when Macy's would approach the major companies to make a giant balloon of one of their cartoon characters for the parade.For example back then, it took Macy's close to twenty years to get "Bugs Bunny" into the annual event, so you see how things have changed over the years of the parade.The best decade that the parade brought out the best character balloons was the 1960s and haven't been the same since then.
    THE YEAR OF "KRAZY KAT"

Nelson aka MOE HARE

Nelson is offline KrAzY KaT has been found
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's some more balloon facts, i'd thought I'd share with everyone....

The only balloon that has appeared in the most parades in the history of the event was set by "The Happy Dragon" who made 33 parade apperances..A Macy's parade record!

The second batch of cartoon screen characters to be featured in the parade was "The Captain And The Kids" from 1929 to 1931

When the first several giant balloons appeared in the Macy's parade in 1927, the balloon handlers would let go of the balloons in front of the famous dept. store as Macy's would offer a reward for their safe return..Macy's stopped this stunt in 1932 as it almost caused planes to crash into the balloons, when first released.

The longest balloon in history was the third Superman balloon at 102 feet long

Macy's Parade historians and Macy's officals consider these giant balloons to be the most famous and most popular ever to be featured in the annual holiday event.

1.Bullwinkle
    Underdog
    Mickey Mouse
    The Happy Dragon
    Linus The Lionhearted
    Snoopy
    Spiderman
    Woody Woodpecker
    Donald Duck
    Superman
    Pink Panther
    Bugs Bunny

The original Bullwinkle balloon(with his beautiful bathing suit) is considered to be the best balloon in the parade's 77 year history.
    THE YEAR OF "KRAZY KAT"

Nelson aka MOE HARE