Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Jack is offline Rabbit of Tomorrow!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Official Looney Tunes Golden Collection Talkback

Like This Thread!

I was going to post this a little later tonight, but since one or more people have already gotten the set, I'll just do it now. I thought it'd be a good idea to have a talkback thread for the LT Golden Collection since it is probably the most anticipated DVD of the year. I figured people with questions and/or comments about the set could just post them here so that they can be easily found by other members.

I haven't gotten the set yet, but I imagine it'll get here within the next few days. It will probably take a couple days for any real discussion about the set to begin. Anyway, if you have questions about the set or want to review it, here is the place to do so.

Jack
    G.A.C. is coming! And it will destroy us all....or not, you'll have to wait and see.

Matthew Williams is offline Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My order from Amazon shipped today. So hopefully it will get here Thursday or Friday.
    Matthew Williams, from the Cartoon Universe
    A column where animation is the starting point - every week at the toonzone blog.
    Column Archive | Cartoon Universe Twitter | Cartoon Universe on Facebook

William C. Maune is offline TZ News Editor in Chief
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone is wondering about sales...

Amazon.com Sales Rank: 7, yes the 7th best selling DVD on Amazon.

For comparison...

Premiere Collection: Ranked a little over 1,000

The Webtoons DVDs: Ranked a little over 2,000 each

The Baby Looney Tunes DVD: 17,000+
    Toonami Inner Circle Alliance: Forum X Bridge Digital Arsenal Infolink World's Finest ANX

Spike Mcdougal is offline The Legendary Outlaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amazon.com Sales Rank: 7, yes the 7th best selling DVD on Amazon.
    Well let's all have a beer and listen to that story again

I wont get it till the end of the week but if only Rocket Squad was on the second disk then i'd have my favorite Daffy toons neatly gathered on one DVD but four out of five aint bad
    I'm not that trusting. I kept my finger on the trigger the whole time

Corrado is offline ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm getting mine, later today, hopefully.

Rob
    Rob is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got it this morning at Sam's Club (42.88)! So far, I've only been able to watch BASEBALL BUGS, WABBIT TWOUBLE, and THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW. All the hype seems to be on target (so far, anyway). I plan to watch more when I come home for lunch today.

Jaime_Weinman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here are quotes from some of today's newspaper reviews:

From the New York Times:

Porky, Bugs, Daffy and the rest race around in a bang-up four-disc special edition with 56 shorts accompanied by first-rate commentary by the author Michael Barrier, Leonard Maltin, Stan Freberg and others and a slew of additional shorts explaining how this or that character or situation came into being. At the outset Chuck Jones, the Looney Tunes animator and director, who died in 2002, introduces the outpouring that began in the bungalow called Termite Terrace in 1930. Duck amok.
    From the New York Post:
    Anyone with kids should rush out and buy this collection of classic Looney Tunes shorts. Anyone who doesn't have kids should rush out and get one so they can have an excuse to buy this four-DVD set ($64.92, Warner Bros.). It's bursting with 56 hilarious, uncut classics like "Rabbit of Seville," "Duck Dodgers in the 241/2 Century," "For Scent-imental Reasons" and many more. One complaint: they should have called this "Golden Collection Volume One" - leaving off "One Froggy Evening" and the single greatest Looney Tune of all time, the Wagner spoof "What's Opera, Doc?," makes clear this is just the first of several.

Thad Komorowski is offline undecided
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm at school right now, but when I get out at 1:30, I'm headed STRAIGHT for Target to get it!

If evolution happened, then why are there still monkeys?

RedBoot is offline GO! Pringer X!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Grabbed it myself, for like $55 at Best Buy (wish I'd known that it was cheaper at Sam's Club...). I've only watched Duck Amok (personal favorite) and Duck Dodgers so far (college work to do), but it's great so far. The toons look great with the remastering.

rodney is offline one lucky duck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got mine at Target ($45.99) and since you get a coupon for $15 off the purchase of one of the webtoon dvds, I went ahead and got 'Reality Check'. It was $14.99 after all.....

Haven't seen any yet, since I'm at work, but hopefully I'll be able to watch some tonight.
    "You just can't beat the Gladstone luck!"

Rob
    Rob is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    I got it this morning at Sam's Club (42.88)! So far, I've only been able to watch BASEBALL BUGS, WABBIT TWOUBLE, and THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW. All the hype seems to be on target (so far, anyway). I plan to watch more when I come home for lunch today.
    Took a loooong lunch today. Watched THE CHUCK JONES INTRODUCTION, THE BOYS FROM TERMITE TERRACE PART1, BEHIND THE TOONS (Bugs, Sam, Elmer), RABBIT SEASONING and LONG HAIRED HARE (both with commentaries), and HAIR-RAISING HARE. HAIR-RAISING HARE looks fantastic, even better, I think, than BASEBALL BUGS, which shows some graininess. And there's still so much to see. I've just scratched the surface...

KRnut82 is offline The Knight Rider nut.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You guys are going to drive me Looney until I get my set.

I preordered it from Amazon over the weekend (along with the Complete Superman Cartoons: Diamond Anniversary Edition DVD). I'm glad I helped get it up to the #7 Sales Rank. Every sale of LTGC helps bring us a step closer to another set!

Brent is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WCBS-AM just had a news item that Warner's server is being inundated today, by a record number of emails ... reportedly, most are complaints that the set doesn't include their favorite toon.

Hopefully, Warner will interpret that as incentive to produce future volumes.

chuckamuck43 is offline Board Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    WCBS-AM just had a news item that Warner's server is being inundated today, by a record number of emails ... reportedly, most are complaints that the set doesn't include their favorite toon.

Does my heart good to read it - thanx Brett!

It's responses like this that'll get Warner off their duffs and back to restoring and releasing more toons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got mine at Wal-Mart for $42.62!

So, it's Looney Tunes fun for me the rest of the tonight and probably most of tomorrow!!

I can't wait!

-Jon

Spike Mcdougal is offline The Legendary Outlaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent

As I said eariler where's Rocket Squad!?!
    I'm not that trusting. I kept my finger on the trigger the whole time

Daniel P is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mcdougal
    As I said eariler where's Rocket Squad!?!
    Actually, most of the e-mails would probably be complaing about "What's Opera Doc?" and "One Froggy Evening." Check the Amazon.com reviews for the DVD and look at everyone complaining about the absense of "What's Opera Doc?." It is a great short, but gee, some of those people are taking it just a *bit* too seriously. After all, every "best of" collection leaves off somebody's favorite...

frogboxer is offline Banjo-playin' bunny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I put the following in quotation marks because I actually made this post on another thread already - not realizing there was this official thread.

"Well, as I've already stated on the thread I started last night, I got my Golden Collection last night. I watched a bunch of the bonus features last night and this morning.

Today I've been very naughty. I've been watching the cartoons that come with audio commentary rather than doing homework as I ought. Actually that's not entirely true. I have done some homework today. But still, shame on me (tsk, tsk, tsk). What can I say . . . after all, who wants to do homework when there are tons of cartoons with great special features to be watched!

Also, I've already got a question for those of you who now have your copy. I thought that "50 Years of Bugs Bunny in 3 1/2 Minutes" was supposed to be included on the set, but I don't see it anywhere. Is it part of one of the other features or is it an Easter Egg or what?"

I would like to add to this post that we shouldn't complain about there not being this or that cartoon on the set. If we just buy the sets and don't fuss about it, then there will be more LT sets, and hopefully they'll eventually release all the cartoons we want. I'm just glad that they've decided to give LT's the same restoration and remastering treatment as other cartoons - treatment the LT's undoubtedly deserve. Furthermore, the bonus features have surpassed my expectations, much to my delight. So, all I can say is kudos to all involved with bringing these DVD's about and please make more like them.
    What do they do on a rainy night in Rio?

MikeH0714 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Young Feltenstein"

Quote Originally Posted by Dacp
    Actually, most of the e-mails would probably be complaing about "What's Opera Doc?" and "One Froggy Evening."
    This was just posted at MSN's Entertainment news:

New Looney Tunes DVD Disappoints Some
    Oct 28, 4:24 PM EST

What's the rush, doc?

That was Warner Bros. response to the backlash from some "Looney Tunes" fans who complain that a handful of their favorite cartoons are missing from the collection of 56 shorts released Tuesday.

"Looney Tunes — The Golden Collection," the first-ever DVD release for Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd, includes such classics as "Rabbit of Seville," "Duck Dodgers in the 24th-and-a-half Century" and "The Scarlet Pumpernickel."

Animation fans, however, have debated and second-guessed the selection of shorts endlessly on Amazon.com and elsewhere on the Internet.

Among the notable absentees: "What's Opera, Doc?" with Bugs tormenting co-star Elmer Fudd, who sings "Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit!"; and "One Froggy Evening," which showcased the "Hello, My Baby!"-singing amphibian Michigan J. Frog.

"We held back some of the jewels for future releases," acknowledged George Feltenstein, the marketing executive who helped pick the shorts for the inaugural DVD release. "We couldn't release all the best ones at once ... what would we do for an encore?"

Some fans see that response as cynical, saying they feel like their loyalty is being abused. "I would have rather never had these shorts be released than to deal with this garbage," Aaron Strader of Houston wrote on Amazon.com. "I hope it sells well enough to justify a full release on DVD of everything."

Warner Home Video counters that its plan to release a set of 60 cartoons each year is not just a marketing ploy — it's as fast as they can clean up the originals. Dorinda Marticorena, WHV's director of children's marketing, said it takes months to restore the original cartoon prints to their original bright colors.

"Looney Tunes" admirers could have a total collection sooner, but it would be a DVD full of grainy, faded cartoons.

The "Golden Collection" ($64.92) and the lesser "Premiere Collection" of 28 shorts ($26.99) is part of a bid by the studio to rejuvenate its trademark characters, Marticorena said. A new feature film, "Looney Tunes: Back in Action," is set for release Nov. 14.

Fans have waited nearly six years since Warner Bros. began creating the DVD of classics, so Feltenstein said he understood why they're as impatient as Porky Pig's speech therapist.

He described the "Golden Collection" as "an all-star sampler," with a lot of Bugs and Daffy, and a little bit of Foghorn Leghorn, Tweety Bird, Sylvester the Cat, Marvin Martian and the Tasmanian Devil. There is also the first Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoon, "Fast and the Furry-ous."

Nearly 1,100 "Looney Tunes" cartoons were created between 1930 and 1969, so there are a lot left to choose from for future DVDs, he added, although not all of them are created equally.

"About 300 of them are excellent," Feltenstein said, "300 of them are very good, 300 are good, 100 of them are OK, and 100 of them are lousy."

Note to Mr. Feltenstein: next time let Jerry Beck drive, while you just sit quietly in the back and count the returns.

Michael

Daniel P is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogboxer
    I would like to add to this post that we shouldn't complain about there not being this or that cartoon on the set. If we just buy the sets and don't fuss about it, then there will be more LT sets, and hopefully they'll eventually release all the cartoons we want.
    I agree, and I wasn't complaining about any cartoons missing, I was just pointing out that there are some people that are really uptight that "What's Opera Doc?" is not on this set. I think that, even though most of the cartoons are "I've seen that a million times before" cartoons, this is a good start. I would have preferred chronological order, but then we would have waited an eternity for all of the cartoons to be restored. The fact that these cartoons are restored and there are hours of bonus features makes up for the common cartoon selection.

edit: I finally have it! And for only $39.99, too! I look forward to hours of watching the DVD set and not doing my homework tonight...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast