Tom41 is offline WHAT?!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tom & Jerry cartoons - where Tom wins?

Like This Thread!
    Anyone noticed there seem to be several Tom & Jerry cartoons, where Tom actually gets the upper hand in the end! Most of the cartoons have Tom being outsmarted by Jerry all the way through the cartoon, and even when Jerry is caught he always gets away somehow!

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Southbound Duckling - At the end, Jerry and the duckling are trapped under a bucket by Tom, who then pulls a sunshade umbrella in front of the camera as The End appears.

Timid Tabby - this one ends with Jerry getting scared by the 'monster' made up of the two cats, and running into a Home for Mice with Nervous Breakdowns!

Nit-Witty Kitty - not quite the same, but Tom is turned back into a mouse at the end (by Mammy with a baseball bat) - and gets into Jerry's bed, leaving Jerry at a loss what to do!

And finally, Polka-dot Puss. At the end, both Tom and Jerry get the measles and are put in quarantine, so it's just even between them!

Also notice several Tom and Jerry cartoons where Tom and Jerry actually work together to outsmart other character(s). Cartoons like Triplet Trouble, Dog Trouble, and The Lonesome Mouse.

Anyone got more examples of either of these kind of Tom & Jerry cartoons? That would dispel the myth that Tom was _always_ after Jerry, and that Jerry _always_ won in the end!
    Now at the GAC forums!

Jave is online now So Smashing... In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You forgot "Mouse For Sale". After suffering tons of humilliations throught the cartoon, Tom gets his revenge at the end by throwing Jerry to the floor and stomping on him at the beat of a classic Scott Bradley dance!
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

J Lee is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom41
    Anyone noticed there seem to be several Tom & Jerry cartoons, where Tom actually gets the upper hand in the end! Most of the cartoons have Tom being outsmarted by Jerry all the way through the cartoon, and even when Jerry is caught he always gets away somehow!

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Southbound Duckling - At the end, Jerry and the duckling are trapped under a bucket by Tom, who then pulls a sunshade umbrella in front of the camera as The End appears.

Timid Tabby - this one ends with Jerry getting scared by the 'monster' made up of the two cats, and running into a Home for Mice with Nervous Breakdowns!

Nit-Witty Kitty - not quite the same, but Tom is turned back into a mouse at the end (by Mammy with a baseball bat) - and gets into Jerry's bed, leaving Jerry at a loss what to do!

And finally, Polka-dot Puss. At the end, both Tom and Jerry get the measles and are put in quarantine, so it's just even between them!

Also notice several Tom and Jerry cartoons where Tom and Jerry actually work together to outsmart other character(s). Cartoons like Triplet Trouble, Dog Trouble, and The Lonesome Mouse.

Anyone got more examples of either of these kind of Tom & Jerry cartoons? That would dispel the myth that Tom was _always_ after Jerry, and that Jerry _always_ won in the end!
    Here are some others:

"The Night Before Christmas" -- Tom at least breaks even here and doesn't get his tounge caught in a mousetrap hidden in his milk bowl.

"The Bodyguard" -- Spike is recaptured by the dogcatcher as Tom chases after Jerry, who chases after the truck with Spike inside.

"Million-Dollar Cat" -- Tom gives up the million bucks to beat the heck out of Jerry

"Mouse In Manhattan" -- Tom does basically nothing but sleep in this cartoon, which is way better than what happens to him in most appearances.

"Jerry's Diary" -- Tom smashes the pie he's baked into Jerry's face after reading the diary

"Life with Tom" -- Tom's embarrassed, but otherwise unhurt here, after seeing the royalty check he's getting from Jerry.

"Tom and Cherie" -- Nibbles won't fight with him, but that's still better for Tom than the ending to "The Two Mouseketeers"

"That's My Mommy" -- Tom doesn't get dinner, but confounds Jerry by adopting the annoying little duck

"The Vanishing Duck" -- An invisible Tom beats the hell out of the duck (that's more like it) and Jerry.

There were also a few Chuck Jones T&Js where Tom comes out on top, like "The Year of the Mouse," "Duel Personality" and "Love Me, Love My Mouse." Interstingly here, while Jones gave Tom a fairly even break, none of the other directors who handled the 1965-67 T&Js did.

Brandon Pierce is offline Summer Glau Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Heavenly Puss" (that's the title, right?)- Tom DOESN'T got to Hell. It turns out just to be a horrible dream.
    "You don't need explosions or supernovas when you have Summer Glau."- Joss Whedon
    http://brandonwhose.bravehost.com/brandonwhose.htm
    I have a Blog too: http://brandonpierce-analyzingblog.blogspot.com/

Larry T is offline GET IT RIGHT!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tom "wins".... or Jerry just gets knocked around

Jerry also doesn't win in:

Mouse In The House - Mammy kicks him out too at the end

Saturday Evening Puss - He has to listen to Mammy playing the Hot Swing Music all night long instead of Tom

Blue Cat Blues - Jerry prepares for suicide!!

A few more where Tom doesn't really "win", per se, and Jerry gets a load of bashing around:

Little School Mouse at the hand of Nibbles

Push-Button Kitty all the times Jerry tries to get indoors

That's the real reason why I like T&J so much as my favourtie cat and mouse tesm. At least there's some sort of balance as to who takes the abuse

"The vicar's daughter, she was there, she had us all in fits ;

By jumping off the mantlepiece and landing on her -

....actually, it wasn't baked beans, it was....SPLAT!!!"

Banned Bunny is offline Lawless Lagomorph
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    His Mouse Friday - Both Tom and Jerry are on the menu. Jerry's situation is much worse at the end compared to his life before Tom arrived, but Tom's in about the same trouble.

Thad Komorowski is offline undecided
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry T
    Blue Cat Blues - Jerry prepares for suicide!!
    Larry, you know how I have a great, sick sense of humor ( ), but THAT is one of the most painful endings for even ME to watch!

Also, even though Tom gets his body stretched 30 feet, he still chases Jerry at the end in "Ah, Sweet Mouse Story Life". Tom and Jerry also both get turned into robots at the end of "Avance and Be Mechanized".
    Last edited by Thad Komorowski; 07-10-2003 at 12:48 AM.

If evolution happened, then why are there still monkeys?

Howard is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A few Filmation shorts end in a draw...
    ~(You WOULD bring those shows up!)
    ~(We're trying to forget we ever made those! AAGH!)

"Most Wanted Mouse" :
    Jerry lets it look like Tom caught him so the cat can get his job as mouser back (and so Tom's owner will call off the exterminator)

"The Great Mousini":
    both of them ruin Jerry's big TV debut as "The Mouse No Trap Can Hold" and end up "...back in Nowheresville, just doing their thing..."

"The Incredible Shrinking Cat":
    After getting back to their normal sizes, (and shrinking the castle and the scientist), the cat and mouse run off after each other as the short irises out...