Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    happyheathen Guest

    The Flower of Gower Gulch

    Like This Thread!
    Hey Everybody! You can come out now!

    Allee allee outsinfree!

    anyway,

    the title song appears in at least 2 'toons (Drip-Along Daffy and Nelly's Folly)
    Q: Was this a real song, or somthing WB'ers made up?

    (Gower Gulch is either:
    a. a formation in Death Valley (not likely the reference)
    - or -
    b. the area in Hollywood around the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Gower Ave (probably the reference))


    COAL RULES

  2. #2
    laugh4me's Avatar
    laugh4me is offline Animated individual
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Flower of Gower Gulch

    Originally posted by happyheathen
    Hey Everybody! You can come out now!

    Allee allee outsinfree!

    anyway,

    the title song appears in at least 2 'toons (Drip-Along Daffy and Nelly's Folly)
    Q: Was this a real song, or somthing WB'ers made up?

    (Gower Gulch is either:
    a. a formation in Death Valley (not likely the reference)
    - or -
    b. the area in Hollywood around the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Gower Ave (probably the reference))
    I think that Michael Maltese wrote the song. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I seem to remember from somewhere...

    For the 2nd question, it's "b" alright. Here's a quote which explains "Gower Gulch".

    From "Hollywood: Land and Legend" [Zelda Cini and Bob Crane]

    "Pretty young girls and handsome young men elbowed each other out of the way at studio gates, pushing and shoving to be first at even the hint of a 'cattle call,' when a studio was open to casting extras and other minor roles. Hungry actors, many already costumed in western outfits, clustered hopefully at the corner of Gower Street and Sunset Boulevard in such numbers the corner itself came to be known as Gower Gulch, a name it still holds although the studios are long gone."

    FWIW, "Gower Gulch" is also seen as a stop for the train (but not in a song) in "All A-Bir-r-r-d".

    How'd I do?
    ****************************
    GregL
    Hidden Looney Tunes Gags
    (UPDATED 10/28/03) | One Foggy Site

    This happens to be my native soil, and I like it - in fact, I love it!

  3. #3
    happyheathen Guest

    Re: Re: The Flower of Gower Gulch

    Originally posted by laugh4me


    I think that Michael Maltese wrote the song. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I seem to remember from somewhere...

    For the 2nd question, it's "b" alright. Here's a quote which explains "Gower Gulch".

    From "Hollywood: Land and Legend" [Zelda Cini and Bob Crane]

    "Pretty young girls and handsome young men elbowed each other out of the way at studio gates, pushing and shoving to be first at even the hint of a 'cattle call,' when a studio was open to casting extras and other minor roles. Hungry actors, many already costumed in western outfits, clustered hopefully at the corner of Gower Street and Sunset Boulevard in such numbers the corner itself came to be known as Gower Gulch, a name it still holds although the studios are long gone."

    FWIW, "Gower Gulch" is also seen as a stop for the train (but not in a song) in "All A-Bir-r-r-d".

    How'd I do?
    OK, Sunset, not Hollywood - they all look the same...

    Grade: B (citing a definitive source for the attribution to Maltese would have cinched it)

    was this the same Bob Crane of 'Hogan's Heroes'?

  4. #4
    laugh4me's Avatar
    laugh4me is offline Animated individual
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, it's a different Bob Crane.
    ****************************
    GregL
    Hidden Looney Tunes Gags
    (UPDATED 10/28/03) | One Foggy Site

    This happens to be my native soil, and I like it - in fact, I love it!

  5. #5
    J Lee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Paramount and RKO both had their lots right on Gower Street, so those likely were the studios that the extras were lining up for (the whole complex is still there, as Paramount bought the RKO lot from Lucille Ball in 1967 after she and Desi bought it from Howard Hughes about a decade earlier).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The title song is also used in the opening credits of My Little Duckaroo (1954).

  7. #7
    J Lee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The title song is also used in the opening credits of My Little Duckaroo (1954).
    While it would have been interesting to hear Daffy sing "Giddiyap, giddiyap Lazy Willie" to Leon in "You Ought To Be In Pictures," the cartoon you're thinking of that has the Gower Gulch mention is 1951's "Drip Along Daffy."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Posts
    872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Rewatch "My Little Duckaroo"!

    Originally posted by J Lee


    While it would have been interesting to hear Daffy sing "Giddiyap, giddiyap Lazy Willie" to Leon in "You Ought To Be In Pictures," the cartoon you're thinking of that has the Gower Gulch mention is 1951's "Drip Along Daffy."
    The opening credits in My Little Duckaroo definitely use that song! Porky Pig sings it during the opening credits.

    What are you saying?

  9. #9
    Jack's Avatar
    Jack is offline Rabbit of Tomorrow!
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    GAC
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nope, Porky sings "The Flower of Gower Gulch" in the opening of "Drip Along Daffy," he sings "Giddiyap, Giddiyap Lazy Willie" in the opening of "My Little Duckaroo."


    Jack
    She's the flower of Gower Gulch, A cowpuncher's sweethear tre-tre-tre-true
    Her looks don't amount to much, 'cause one of her eyes is b-b-blue.
    G.A.C. is coming! And it will destroy us all....or not, you'll have to wait and see.

  10. #10
    J Lee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    She's got skin just like prairie dog leather
    She cooks nothing but chuck wagon st-st-stew
    And her name is Minerva Ulch
    She's the flower of Gower Gulch

    ...you know, if Daffy had gone into Leon and started singing

    Oh I've got a horse Lazy Wil, Lazy Will
    When I want to ride he just stands still...

    He might have gotten that contract he was shooting for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO