Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mcdohert Guest

Whistler's Mother

Like This Thread!
    I'm doing research for an article about the painting "Whistler's Mother" and how it has become imbeeded in pop culture. I'm trying to track done instances where the image was used or parodies in cartoons. Any references would be helpful.

Also I need to know how to get a hold of the images so i can publish them with the article.

Thanks

Meghan

Cartman is offline Flute Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was referenced in A Feud with a Dude. That is about all that I can think of at this moment.
    Buy my new book THE HEATHER COMICS at Lulu.com

Paul Penna is offline Dismember
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Whistler's Mother

Bob Clampett's 1946 Warner cartoon "Book Revue" (re-release title "Book Review") has a particularly wild one.

mcdohert Guest

Re: Re: Whistler's Mother

Originally posted by Paul Penna
    Bob Clampett's 1946 Warner cartoon "Book Revue" (re-release title "Book Review") has a particularly wild one.

How can I get this cartoon or stills from it?

Thad Komorowski is offline undecided
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's also a picture of "Whistler's Mother" in "Have You Got Any Castles".

-Thad

If evolution happened, then why are there still monkeys?

peter sofronas is offline lurker extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whistler's mother also appears in one of the Little Blabbermouse cartoons.

I think it was Little Blabbermouse.

If not it was in Shop, Look and Listen (nothing like a 50/50 chance.)

In the cartoon, she starts whistling "She'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain," turns to the camera and say something to the effect of, "You should hear my son. He's a Whistler too," and proceeds to continue whistling and toe tapping.

peter

Matt Yorston is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a bit in the Donald Duck cartoon, "No Hunting", during the scene where the hunters anxiously await the opening of hunting season. As this scene takes place, the narrator adds to the anxiety by describing the long hard toil of waiting. Near the end of the scene, he exclaims, "The suspense.... what is Mother doing?". After he says the "mother" line, there is a shot of a duck version of Whistler's Mother rocking about in a rocking chair.

Also, in the Donald Duck cartoon, "Donald's Diary", it should be noted that Daisy's mother in this cartoon (the duck who asks for Donald's name then looks him up in "Dun & Bradstreet") also looks very much like a Duck version of Whistler's Mother ("Don't track no mud on them floors!").

Glenn is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Whistler's Mother

Originally posted by mcdohert
    I'm doing research for an article about the painting "Whistler's Mother" and how it has become imbeeded in pop culture. I'm trying to track done instances where the image was used or parodies in cartoons. Any references would be helpful.

Also I need to know how to get a hold of the images so i can publish them with the article.

Thanks

Meghan
    It was also used in the Happy Harmonies cartoon titled "The Art Gallery'

DR. BELCH is offline Member
    In a squashed gob of dung on the Missouri Bootheel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whistle Stop

Peabody and Sherman traveled back in time to see James Whistler paint the famous portrait in Rocky and Bullwinkle--trouble was, the old gal wouldn't sit down long enough.

I believe Shaggy used Mother's black dress and cap as a disguise in one episode of Scooby Doo.

Matt Yorston is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oops! Forgot one...

I just remember ANOTHER Disney cartoon that has a reference to the famous painting.

In the hilarious Goofy short, "How to Play Football", there is a scene where the narrator describes the coach's teaching methods, explaining something like "He has many unique ways of appealing to their sympathies" at which point he pulls out a portrait of Whistler's Mother and starts weeping uncontrollably. Seconds later, he is back to being gruff, exclaiming, "Now get out there and FIGHT!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast