Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

CN Talkback: Pokemon The Series: XY: "To Catch A Pokemon Smuggler!" [4/5]

Like This Thread!

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel through the Kalos region, making new friends and catch more Pokemon along the way.

Recently:
    James captures a Inkay.
    Ash captures a Fletching.
    Serena chooses Fennekin as her starter Pokemon.
    Clemont captures Dedenne and keeps it for Bonnie.
    Ash challenges Viola to a Gym battle and loses.
    Serena meets up with Ash and his friends during the Gym battle.
    Ash defeats Viola and earns his first Kalos Gym badge.
    Serena explains to Ash where they met before.
    Serena officially joins the group as she searches for her own goal.
    Clemont reveals that he is the Lumiose City Gym Leader, but due to his robot, he is unable to enter the Gym.
    Clemont defeats and repairs his robot and Ash decides he wants to face Clemont in a Gym battle once he gets four badges.
    Clemont captures a Chespin.
    Jessie captures a Pumpkaboo

Last Time:
    "The Bamboozling Forest!"
    While Ash and his friends continue on their journey, they come across two Pancham. They look innocent enough, but they help Team Rocket to capture Pikachu, Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie. It looks like Team Rocket has won until they realize that Meowth has gone missing as well. Will Ash and his friends be able to save their Pokemon before it's too late?

This Time:
    "To Catch A Pokemon Smuggler!"
    Saturday, April, 5th, 8:30am Eastern
    Encore: Sunday, April, 13th, 8:30am Eastern
    As Ash and his friends make their way to Cyllage City, they learn about a Pokemon Smuggler who has stolen quite a few Pokemon. Officer Jenny is on the case, but neither she or our heroes can track down the thief's hideout. Will Ash and his friends be able to find him before it's too late for all of the stolen Pokemon?

Notes:
    The 17th season of Pokemon is officially here to promote the sixth generation.The 16th season of Pokemon is here to finish promoting the fifth generation.
    Pokemon X and Y are available worldwide!
    Pokemon Bank is available for download.
    Pokemon Battle Trozei available for download.
    Diancie has officially been revealed and is connected to the next movie.
    Pokemon DP season one, the Darkari movie and Pokemon Origins are available on Hulu Plus.
    The first season of the original series, the first season of BW and both versions of the Victini movie are available on Netflix.
    Re-runs of Pokemon BW Adventures in Unova are now on weekdays at 8:00am.
    Please stay on topic when discussing the episode and do not focus on any kind of edits.
    Please avoid using spoilers, including vague ones, in these talkbacks. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scatterbug, Skewpa, and Vivion are about the most adorable bug pokemon the series has had. It sounds like the same person does the voices for them all.

Vivillon's different colors are cute too. I can't remember how many other pokemon had variation in color or form.

Geez, evolution looks so painful now. The transition from Scatterbug to Spewpa had all kinds of contortions. Makes for a more impressive animation though.

Ash not knowing how to explain evolution well gave a good laugh. Typical for his character, but still funny. Speaking of typical, the animators use the shiny glasses trope WAY too much for Clemont. They should tone that down.
    Last edited by Lerkero; 04-05-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I gotta say, this episode was pretty bad. Even for a filler episode. Everyone seemed to be playing the role of Captain Obvious. Wario-I mean, Dolan was as cheesy as a bad guy could get. I also had a hard time seeing what crime he was committing. A pokemon smuggler would be trying to sneak pokemon someone, maybe from Kanto to Johto or whatever. Unless Dolan's merchandise used to belong in a preserve or were stolen from other people, he's just selling them online like people sell dogs and cats. But of course, purposely beating up wild pokemon until they're nearly unconscious in order to shove them into tiny pokeballs is seen as 100% humane to these people.
    Serena also threw me off too. Without spoilers, she suggested an idea all excited, only to reconsider doing it, before ABRUPTLY jumping back on the bandwagon as if she never questioned it. That just seemed so odd to me.
    This type of episode should just be a trend; the Butterfly episode where we should expect to see the butterfly Pokemon's ENTIRE evolution in one episode and watch it fly off into the sunset at the end.
    The next episode better not be filler. These characters have been overdue for catching a new Pokemon for awhile. Or at least one of them evolving.

This episode was honestly kind of bad to me. It's another Butterfly Episode. Now, this might just be me, but from what Jenny described a pokemon smuggler as, Wario-I mean, Dolan isn't committing much of a crime. An smuggler is someone who sneaks things to places, yes? If that's the case, then Dolan's crime would be sneaking pokemon to other regions. Unless his merchandise were stolen from trainers or a nature preserve, he's just selling pokemon online, like people sell cats and dogs. That's not exactly horrific. It's certainly more humane that beating them to near unconsciousness and shoving them into tiny pokeballs. He's more of a dealer than a smuggler, but I guess they couldn't use that word.
    Everyone seemed to be playing the role of Captain Obvious and Serena's bipolar-esque 'it's a good idea, it's not a good idea, it's a good idea' moment was quite off-putting. I hope this was the last filler. This show has been going too well to give us an episode THIS bland.
    Last edited by Light Lucario; 04-05-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Please don't double post
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have to agree with Darissa. Dolan may be a jerk, but I don't believe he was necessarily committing any sort of crime. Sticking bugs in cages is perhaps the worst he's done here, and people do that all the time. In the warehouse, he at least had the decency to put on a light for all of the trapped bugs so that they wouldn't be cold all the time. It's just his personality and appearance that makes him appear to be worst than he actually is.

As Officer Jenny put it, a majority of Dolan's clients are high-paying rich people who most likely aren't trainers or have children of their own that are. However, they still want a Vivillon of their own despite not having the skills necessary (or poke balls) to acquire one or train a Scatterbug/Spewpa. Thus, they go online and buy a Vivillon from a provider, in this case that would be Dolan, Dolan then sends the Pokemon to this rich person, money is sent back, everybody wins.

When you think about it like that, it's really nothing more than a bug catcher supplying himself to support a business. People want Vivillons and there is indeed a market for it, Dolan was just trying to cash in on that and there isn't anything wrong with that. As Darissa put it, this would seem wrong if the Scatterbug and Spewpa were taken from a natural preserve or someone else, but nope, that's not the case.

Of course, at the end of the day, it's the guy who's trying to run a business that gets thrown behind bars. I for one blame Ash's stark optimism in Pokemon for blinding his world view.
    "It wasn't worth it."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this episode was okay. I didn't mind that they said how the Smuggler was a thief because they've established ages ago that capturing wild Pokemon with any method other than bonding or with a Pokeball isn't right. Even doing that to regular wild Pokemon isn't really seen as okay. At least when people catch Pokemon through battles and Pokeballs, they usually bond with them afterwards. This guy only saw the Scatterbug/Spewpa as merchandise. He only cared about the money, which is a big moral no in the Pokemon universe and for good reason. Leaving the light on in the warehouse isn't really anything nice either since it would be more so that he can see rather than keep them from being cold. If he cared about doing that, then he wouldn't have referred to Spewpa as merchandise. Selling online might also be illegal, so I didn't see it so much as a guy trying to help people who weren't able to capture their own Vivillon with his own legit business, but something like a black market. Plus, these rich clients could easily capture their own Scatterbug. Early route Bug types are typically pretty weak and evolve fairly quickly, so they wouldn't need to have a lot of skills to capture them. At the very least, it's morally questionable to sell Pokemon just to make a profit and even though he was targeting wild Pokemon, his methods and treatment of the Pokemon warranted Officer Jenny getting involved.

Ash's explanation of evolution was pretty funny, mainly because it was fairly accurate in regards to how people tend to react. I like the animation for the evolution too. Serena coming up with the idea of using Spewa as bait only to feel bad about it shortly afterwards was pretty strange. Trying to dress up Ash as Spewa was kind of strange when he was far too big, but Serena at least helped out by making the costume for Chespin. Froakie battling Diggerby was pretty good and Spewa was more effective when it jumped in than I thought it would be. All of the different Vivillon looked so pretty at the end.

Overall, it was an okay episode. It wasn't one of the most engaging filler episode, but it had some nice moments and the teamwork between the group was nice. I still don't have a problem with how they presented the smuggler as a thief since his actions were at least morally questionable and capturing Pokemon through means besides bonding and capturing them in a Pokeball haven't been accepted in the Pokemon universe. I hope that next week's episode will be more fun to watch though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's pretty tough to establish a baseline of morals in Pokemon when 10 year old children are allowed to leave home to survive on their own and battling pets until they faint is considered normal. As Light Lucario said, capturing Pokemon and not bonding with them is pretty bad in the pokemon universe, borderline illegal.

The smuggler could have also set up a Scatterbug sanctuary where he cared for the pokemon and raised them politely until interested trainers approached him to purchase the villion as pets. His current business model seemed underhanded.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerkero View Post
    It's pretty tough to establish a baseline of morals in Pokemon when 10 year old children are allowed to leave home to survive on their own and battling pets until they faint is considered normal. As Light Lucario said, capturing Pokemon and not bonding with them is pretty bad in the pokemon universe, borderline illegal.

The smuggler could have also set up a Scatterbug sanctuary where he cared for the pokemon and raised them politely until interested trainers approached him to purchase the villion as pets. His current business model seemed underhanded.
    Selling them might still be problematic, even if he was running a Scatterbug sanctuary. Allowing trainers to adopt them after he cared for them would be a good way to go about it though. At least doing it like that would require caring for the Scatterbug, as opposed to treating them as merchandise, and it would actually help people get Pokemon without doing something morally questionable, if not illegal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was hoping someone else had addressed this but I guess I will. Have they ever mentioned online or internet before on Pokemon? Anyways somewhat okay filler episode. The only thing I liked about it was them working with Officer Jenny and getting to see the full evolution of a Scatterbug to a Vivillion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You know, that Wario-esque smuggler is as bad if not worse than Team Rocket. First, Damian who mistreated Charmander, and then, Koji who tried to catch Cyndaquil, and now him. Good thing they all got their just desserts anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsfan View Post
    I was hoping someone else had addressed this but I guess I will. Have they ever mentioned online or internet before on Pokemon? Anyways somewhat okay filler episode. The only thing I liked about it was them working with Officer Jenny and getting to see the full evolution of a Scatterbug to a Vivillion.
    We have seen them used computers before for email and websites, although the websites might have been added in for the dub. I'm not sure if they've mentioned the Internet specifically though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso Torrejon
    You know, that Wario-esque smuggler is as bad if not worse than Team Rocket. First, Damian who mistreated Charmander, and then, Koji who tried to catch Cyndaquil, and now him. Good thing they all got their just desserts anyway.
    Koji was a jerk, but he wasn't quite as bad as Damian. Damian put Charmander in a life threatening situation and laughed about it. All Koji was doing was trying to capture a wild Cyndaquil. He was still pretty rude and acted like a jerk, but not quite as bad.

I agree that the Pokemon smuggler here was pretty bad though. I'm kind of surprised that people thought that what he was doing wasn't illegal. Not only were his means of capturing Pokemon pretty much like how poachers have captured Pokemon before, but his personality was basically just the typical evil thief who was into it just for the money. He certainly wasn't into it to help people who aren't able to capture Pokemon to get their own. If he was interested in doing that, then there would be other less questionable ways to go about it. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if selling Pokemon is considered illegal in their world. I don't think that there has been confirmation about that, but every time a character talks about selling Pokemon, I think that they're either Team Rocket or a poacher like this smuggler was. There is a Pokemon black market too, or at least it was referenced in DP, so that could also be a sign indicating that selling Pokemon is illegal.

Admittedly, they potentially could make a Pokemon smuggler in a more morally gray light by making him want to help people by giving them Scatterbug or if he needs money for something important, but most of the villains in Pokemon aren't complex like that, especially filler episode villains, and like I said before, there would be better ways to help people than to poach and sell Pokemon to them.