Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    @dumbfoolkid5

This isn't the first that you've mentioned this. if this something that you're really passionate about, you should use that motivation to make your own sci-fi movie instead of waiting for Disney to make one. Because you could be waiting for a while.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think if they want to do a princess story that takes place in the future it either needs to be an original story or a classic story with a spin. I doubt the latter will ever happen any time soon given the box office disaster Treasure Planet was.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I understand why someone would be tired of Disney's reliance on fairy tales, and I kind of agree, myself. Even as a kid, I usually preferred their animal-based films like The Lion King, Bambi, and Dumbo to most of their princess films, as well as found merit in their more "different" films, such as Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and The Black Cauldron films. But the thing is, the princesses are Disney's bread and butter when it comes to merchandising, and each of these characters continue to make mad dough for the studio today, years removed from their release date. Even consider some of their more recent films. Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph did about the same at the box-office, but who do you see on more backpacks, lunch boxes, or available toys to buy, Rapunzel or Ralph?

There's no reason that Disney can't try a futuristic princess story at some point, but for now, it is easier to take from older fairy tales and build a movie and characters off from that. It takes a lot of effort to build up a reasonable story and to fill it with well-defined characters, and while yes, Disney will occasionally try to experiment, they obviously have an easy niche to return to and reap the profits from here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The idea of a Disney Princess from the future sounds interesting and it could make for a cool movie depending on the characters and storyline, but I'm not sure if they'd be interested in going that route either. Disney likes using fairy tales for the basis of their movies and especially for the Disney Princess line, so I'm not sure if they'd be interested in trying out an idea like that anytime soon.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think the bigger obstacle to a "princess from the future" story is that increasingly, royalty is viewed as something archaic and out-of-date, and while royal families can still draw attention and even affection from the modern population, they are often viewed quite critically for indulging in excesses that few normal people can afford, or even just having colossal wealth and privilege for nothing other than luck of birth. This is something even George Lucas acknowledged in the Star Wars prequel movies, where I vaguely recall some throwaway nonsense about how "Princess Amidala" was some sort of elected official beyond her role in the Imperial Senate, and there was no real royal family that was running Naboo or even Alderaan.

If you look at all the recent Disney "Princess" movies and shows, I think they're all trying to dodge the royalty thing. Sofia the First is a commoner who gets her tiara when her mother marries into the royal family. (And isn't that a wonderfully egalitarian king who will marry a commoner?) Enchanted drove a lot of its humor by taking a classic fairy tale princess and throwing her headlong into modern-day New York City and having her fall for another commoner over a prince. Tangled hinges entirely on the fact that the princess doesn't know who she is. The Princess and the Frog's Tiana is another commoner who meets a prince, but by the end of the film, it sure looks like the prince has abdicated to run the restaurant with Tiana. For that matter, Tiana is very much a self-made woman and ready to do what it takes to chase her own dream, and the Prince ends up as a big distraction for most of the movie. If you wanted to include Brave, Merida is another Princess who has far more affinity for earthly things than the joys of royalty and class. Anna and Elsa are royalty, as I understand, but from everything I've seen, Anna seems to be cut from the same cloth as Jasmine, where she views being royalty as a burden she'd rather not deal with (though I admit I still haven't seen Frozen yet).

That isn't necessarily an obstacle to putting a princess in a science fiction or futuristic environment, since you could easily create a throwback society of warlords and kingdoms stretching across planets or galaxies. But that will still need to overcome the general antipathy that the average American audience has to royalty, not to mention the clash between the super-futuristic sci-fi environment and an archaic royal family.

It's clear that you want Disney do some kind of animated sci-fi feature, and I wonder if you're trying to hitch this dream to Disney Princesses on the theory that this is the best way to get them to do it. I don't think it is, but if they did it I'd be willing to give it a shot. But if they do the sci-fi thing in animation, I would not expect it to be a Princess film (and the major failure of John Carter means I think Disney will be gun-shy about sci-fi in general). However, as has been mentioned in other threads, the upcoming Big Hero 6 is also already set in a future world, so your best hope for this to happen is for that to do well. Also, Ed Catmull famously said a few years ago that Disney wasn't going to be dipping as much into the fairy tale well for future films, which drew much ire on the Internet until people really really loved Wreck-It Ralph. They very well may try for something sci-fi (or, more likely in my mind, steampunk because it's trendier) in the animation studio some time in the future.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12