toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    She never would have became Batgirl because she was the Beyond's version of Oracle: the computer geek helping from the sidelines. She didn't have any training or fighting skills for that matter
    -What the hell are you?!
    - I'm the batmat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank god they never made Terry and Max into a romantic relationship. They could have had Terry break up with Dana for good and have him move on to Max, I believe even Bruce Timm said he hated this idea on one of the commentaries.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Thank god they never made Terry and Max into a romantic relationship. They could have had Terry break up with Dana for good and have him move on to Max, I believe even Bruce Timm said he hated this idea on one of the commentaries.
    Yeah, that would have been terrible. They worked fine as friends and adding in romantic tension between the three characters would have felt forced and stupid. It would have been nice if Dana got some more focus. In retrospect, Terry's feelings for Dana came off as genuine, but she didn't really get much focused beyond her role as his girlfriend and was mostly just there. Granted, it helps that she couldn't do anything besides being his girlfriend and couldn't help with any of the crimes, but it would have been nice if they did a bit more with her character and their relationship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The problem I have with Max becoming a full-fledged field partner is that most of the times when she tried to get in on the action, she wound up in danger and Terry had to bail her out. It felt like she had a higher assessment of her field skills than she actually possessed, and she never showed much interest in improving those skills. Max was very useful providing tech and info support, but in the field, she was a liability more often than not.

Re: Max's role of confidante... I don't see why Dana couldn't have done the same for Terry. She is his girlfriend, after all, it's expected that she'd act as his emotional support. She also knows more about Terry's past and his less savory side than Max or even Bruce (unless the old man went through everything on file about Terry, including the sealed stuff). She acted as his emotional support in Season 1 and early on in Season 2, but after that, she was just treated as a complication. Terry's reasons for not telling her always seemed weak, and "Unmasked", the episode that was supposed to justify them, only undermined them (unless Terry really thinks that Dana has the judgment of a little boy and might announce on the news that she's seen Batman's face).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know I'm actually surprised the character of Dana existed in the show in the first place. In most shows the hero is usually a "loveable loser" like Peter Parker who is always trying to get a girlfriend but doesn't quite win her over until the end of the show.

With Dana she was Terry's girlfriend right from episode one, and aside from some minor fights/breakups that only last one episode, they pretty much stay together for the entire run of the show. So we never had a romance plot with Terry and Dana falling for each other...because they were already a couple at the start of the show.

That's probably why the writers couldn't do much else with Dana. She was a love interest before the show even began and then just stayed that way. I do think she could have found out that Terry was Batman around the last episodes of the show though, but oh well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dana finding out about Terry being Batman could have been interesting. Based on the what-if moments during Epilogue, she eventually did find out and was still supportive of Terry, so using that discovery as a way to explore their relationship a bit more might have been nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's one of the reasons I was drawn to Dana from the start - that she wasn't the usual love interest who the hero only won over after he became a hero, but was Terry's steady girlfriend from the start. The fact that her relationship with Terry predates him becoming Batman could've added extra layers to his reluctance to give her up, because which takes precedence? His older promises to his girlfriend, or his newer resolve to protect the entire city? There are shades of that conflict in the series as it is, because even when things are strained, he can't bring himself to break it off with her, but other than that, it's not touched on. Unless you count the times he tried to explain his behavior with "But my job is important and Wayne needs me" (which I wish she would have retorted by asking him why Wayne needed him so much and on such little notice, and why he wouldn't stand up to the old man and demand more time to himself).

I don't think Terry and Dana already being in a relationship meant that the writers couldn't do much with her. They could have had an arc about her getting suspicious of Terry's excuses and starting to figure things out on her own, and another where she has to adjust to Terry's new life, but this time with full knowledge of why he keeps ditching her, and trying to decide if it's worth it. But those aren't typical plots for a love interest, especially a Batman love interest, and maybe without more precedent to fall back on, the writers floundered with her. It's something that I'd hope would be done better if Batman Beyond got a reboot, along with doing more with Terry's family, sorting out whether Max is a new friend or not and how close she really was to Terry before the reveal, and fine-tuning Terry's Rogues Gallery. Batman Beyond gets flack for not having as interesting a cast as Bruce did, but Bruce's cast was built over decades, and Terry's over only a couple of years. Even with that short a time, with how much potential a lot of them had, they deserve the same chance Bruce's cast did, to be tweaked and polished until they become classics.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Re: Max. I feel she covered much of the same ground as Richie on Static Shock. Black female characters have become frequent code for gay characters. Not exclusively, mind you- she equally creates the impression of a girl that doesn't hit off it romantically with Terry or threaten Dana with all. Chelsea, with her Maggie Sawyer hairdo and similar background to the modern Batwoman that was introduced years later, is much more overt,

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678