Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spoilers for Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. in Battle Scars #6

Like This Thread!
    Well Marvel actually did it. They added Agent Coulson to the Marvel Universe and also made Nick Fury more in line with the movie and Ultimate Version of the character. I'm not surprised they actually did this and at least it wasn't too convoluted. The new Nick Fury is actually the son of the original. And Agent Coulson is now just part of SHIELD. They could have done much worse but at least the original Fury is still alive and out there for now.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    and at least it wasn't too convoluted.
    I'd really, really beg to disagree with that. This is one of the most "forced" feeling things I've read in years.

I'd go on some long-winded rant once again about how much I can't stand it when they pull crap like this, but....why bother? At least I still get classic Nick in Winter Soldier.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Kazama View Post
    I'd really, really beg disagree with that. This is one of the most "forced" feeling things I've read in years.

I'd go on some long-winded rant once again about how much I can't stand it when they pull crap like this, but....why bother? At least I still get classic Nick in Winter Soldier.
    I agree that this change is forced but I found the way they did it wasn't too convoluted. The new Nick Fury is the son of the original. That's a lot better than plenty of the other ways this could have gone. But this is an obvious ploy to align the comic version up with the movie version. Newsarama actually interviewed Tom Brevoort on the changes and he basically says just that:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/tom-...t-coulson.html
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ohhhhh, boy. I'm not much of a fan of Marvel's past movie tie-ins (eg. Steve Rogers back as Cap in time for TFA), and this one's the most forced I've seen.

I can let the introduction of Coulson slide, seeing as people like him, but there were plenty of other SHIELD agents around to write and evolve. The idea of 'Nick Fury Jr.' is not only incredibly silly but incredibly pointless, his original counterpart is still around in Ultimates acting his old self. I don't care if they're of different universes, it's still two copies of the same character.

Not to mention there might be confusion when Spider-Men (and any follow-up stories involving both 616 and UU) comes out.
    "...And then Rorschach goes 'BARNEY! My Pebbles!' or some such thing... but it was really funny."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    At least they didn't do it using Lois Lane's method.

I think it is a little forced, but it might be a good thing overall. Nick Fury is an anachronism, he's a WWII, Cold War character, and he can never be separated from that. He doesn't really work in post Patriot Act spy stories, and if you'll notice they've kept him out of them in one way or another for most of the last decade. He's still a great character, though, and I hope they'll keep finding ways to use him. And, if nothing else this a change with an easy reset button.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    and if you'll notice they've kept him out of them in one way or another for most of the last decade.
    Not so much. Nick's been around a lot for the last few years doing underground espionage stuff. He was part of the Avengers issues during Secret Invasion, which led to the Secret Warriors series that lasted until about a year or two ago. He also played a big part in the "Bucky Cap" era of Captain America, and is in the recent Winter Soldier series. All this while not running S.H.I.E.L.D. He still gets his way around the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    I agree that this change is forced but I found the way they did it wasn't too convoluted. The new Nick Fury is the son of the original. That's a lot better than plenty of the other ways this could have gone.
    But the convoluted-ness of it isn't so simple as "he's Nick Fury's kid." It was a six-issue mini, but in just the last about two issues of it he:

-Had his eye damaged.
    -Joined S.H.I.E.L.D.
    -Went from Marcus Johnson to a birth cirtificate with "Nick Fury Jr." on it. Which he decides to use suddenly despite an entire life as Johnson, and no emotional connection to Fury to warrant it since he didn't even know he was related to him until, like, a week ago (comic time).
    -Changed his entire appearance in a way that just happens to conveniently look like Movie-Fury.

Being the kid of Nick Fury was one thing. Everything else the did to line it all up in a nice little row was where it got incredibly forced.
    Last Read: Spider-Men
    Last Watched: You're Next

Profiling My Quest To Replay Every Game I Own
    Last Game Played: Yoshi (NES)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Kazama

Not so much. Nick's been around a lot for the last few years doing underground espionage stuff. He was part of the Avengers issues during Secret Invasion, which led to the Secret Warriors series that lasted until about a year or two ago. He also played a big part in the "Bucky Cap" era of Captain America, and is in the recent Winter Soldier series. All this while not running S.H.I.E.L.D. He still gets his way around the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, I read those.

And that's what I mean. He doesn't work as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore, so they've kept him out of the way, putting him in situations that only seem to highlight his anachronistic role.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bout time they added Coulson, love that guy, and Marvel should find a way to have him in every book. Fury Jr. on the other hand I don't care too much about. I haven't read him in anything yet, and I probably won't for some time, since I have so many other books to catch up on before I start reading the current crop of Marvel books. I do get why they introduced him though, and I don't fault them for it, but just like Hawkeye's new outfit (which I think is a huge improvement over the classic one) I think Marvel could've just pointed new readers to the Ultimates books instead. Well, except for Ultimates 3. What I really like about Fury Jr. though is that Steve Rogers "Super Soldier" outfit gets to live on through him. It was favourite Steve Rogers outfit, so I'm glad it's not forgotten.