Looneytunes is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daffy Duck's Girlfriend

Like This Thread!
    Does Daffy Duck have a girlfriend? And, did Bugs Bunny ever have a girlfriend before Lola Bunny?

Jack is offline Rabbit of Tomorrow!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bugs' official girlfriend before Lola Bunny was Honey Bunny, created by Robert McKimson for the comics in the 50s or 60s (forget which). Basicially, Honey Bunny was used whenever a girl companion was needed for Bugs Bunny merchandise or comics. Before Honey Bunny, Bugs had a girlfriend in the comics named Lulu Belle. Lola Bunny was created in an attempt to update the Looney Tunes gang by adding a cliched "strong woman" character. Bugs had a bunch of different girls in the various cartoons, and Mrs. Bugs Bunny even appeared in "Hold the Lion Please."

Daffy never had an official girlfriend, but he was (unhappily) married in several cartoons (Daffy's "henpecked" cartoons are all overlooked gems). The wives usually didn't have names, except for one called Daphne. There were also other various girlfriend characters, like in "The Scarlett Pumpernickel" and "Muscle Tussle."

So, at least in the cartoons themselves, Bugs and Daffy didn't have official girlfriends, and I hope it stays that way with these new shorts they are making.

Porky Pig is really the only major character who had a consistant girlfriend in the comics and cartoons, she was named Petunia Pig. I guess Miss Prissy could count as Foghorn Leghorn's "girlfriend," but they really aren't much of a couple.

Penelope the cat is sort of a non-character. The cat in the Pepe Le Pew cartoons often times had a different name in every cartoon, and it was always implied that it wasn't the same cat. Penelope is basically all of the cats combined into one for merchandising purposes.

Jack
    G.A.C. is coming! And it will destroy us all....or not, you'll have to wait and see.

Mackenzie Rainelle is offline Anime Psychoanalyst
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The duck that appeared in "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" and "Muscle Tussle" was Melissa, the same one who currently has a role on "Baby Looney Tunes".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mackenzie Rainelle
    The duck that appeared in "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" and "Muscle Tussle" was Melissa, the same one who currently has a role on "Baby Looney Tunes".
    I don't remember the voice, design and personality of the duck in "Muscle Tussle" being the same as that of Melissa. Was she referred to by name as Melissa?
    G.A.C. is coming! And it will destroy us all....or not, you'll have to wait and see.

RockItShipper is offline Master of Flying Guillotine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jack
    Daffy's "henpecked" cartoons are all overlooked gems
    I think the one set in Divorce Court (with Porky as the presiding judge) is public domain...

mbaker is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's not forget Honey Bunch. (NOW SIT ON THAT EGG!) I also remember this one cartoon where Daffy was A pet duck to this little girl, and the father wanted to kill him. (If anyone knows the title of this cartoon, please let me know. I think Fank Tashlin directed it.) It had A scene where A white baby duckling was hatched, and Daffy was gonna off him. Since the duckling was too young, Daffy gave him some growth pills, (wouldn't want Daffy to kill A baby.) and the duckling grew into A female duck Could it be the origin of Melissa? Just thought I'd bring that up. Anyway, Judging from the cartoons where Daffy is unhappily married, I take it Daffy, and Melissa never got along very often, and he wasn't very good at finding A mate outside of her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mbaker
    Let's not forget Honey Bunch. (NOW SIT ON THAT EGG!) I also remember this one cartoon where Daffy was A pet duck to this little girl, and the father wanted to kill him. (If anyone knows the title of this cartoon, please let me know. I think Fank Tashlin directed it.) It had A scene where A white baby duckling was hatched, and Daffy was gonna off him. Since the duckling was too young, Daffy gave him some growth pills, (wouldn't want Daffy to kill A baby.) and the duckling grew into A female duck Could it be the origin of Melissa? Just thought I'd bring that up. Anyway, Judging from the cartoons where Daffy is unhappily married, I take it Daffy, and Melissa never got along very often, and he wasn't very good at finding A mate outside of her.
    That cartoon is "Nasty Quacks," one of the best. I think it needs to be assumed that Daffy and the white female duck were married, since the end gag in the cartoon involves a bunch of Daffy's crazy children trashing the breakfast table.

For that duck to be Melissa is also a stretch, the character doesn't look or act the same as either of the other two later ducks. It would also be one of the rare few times (maybe the only time) three different directors and three different storymen decided to share an unimportant supporting character. If you go on design alone, then Mara Hari, from "Plane Daffy," is also really Melissa (Melissa a Nazi? ). I think Daffy just had a thing for white/blond ducks (interesting that all of his unhappy marriages were to black/grey ducks).

Daffy had seven wives in the cartoons (found my list):
    "Wise Quacks" (Mrs. Daffy)
    "The Henpecked Duck" (only referred to as "Muh Love")
    "Nasty Quacks" (unnamed, I think)
    "The Stupid Cupid" (unnamed, I believe)
    "His Bitter Half" (large grey duck, forgot if she was named)
    "Stork Naked" (Daphne)
    "Quackodile Tears" (Honey Bunch)

Jack

Cullen is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember in the Bugs Bunny's Mother's Day special, it showed the cartoon where Daffy was ordered to sit on an egg by his mean wife. Daffy actually ended up with an alligator egg and he got an alligator son that loved to bite him and his wife let the baby do it.

Later, Daffy marched up to the stork who delivered that egg and told him because of that, his first wife left him. Daffy said he had a new wife now and that stork better not come around again.

And it showed the cartoon where Daffy was living with his new wife, Daphne, who seemed a lot sweeter than his first one. And Daffy was trying every possible way to get rid of the stork.

Captain C is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, with all of these girlfriends, sounds like Bugs eitehr can't commit, or has been a naughty boy.