Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Huh, Dreamworks was the last company that I thought would scoop up the Felix licence. I wonder if this would give Felix the opportunity to get another series or a movie revival?
    (There was this scrapped CGI project from around 2010 that was supposed to be made by TeamTo and some other French animators:

Spoiler:

)

Also, according to sources, it seems like Dreamworks is focusing on the fashion line attached to Felix. Mainly due to the fact that Felix is very popular in Asia.

MadMan400096 is online now Stealing Christmas
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TFormersMarvel View Post
    Huh, Dreamworks was the last company that I thought would scoop up the Felix licence. I wonder if this would give Felix the opportunity to get another series or a movie revival?
    (There was this scrapped CGI project from around 2010 that was supposed to be made by TeamTo and some other French animators:

Also, according to sources, it seems like Dreamworks is focusing on the fashion line attached to Felix. Mainly due to the fact that Felix is very popular in Asia.
    Didn't DreamWorks already own the Trans-Lux series (through Classic Media)?

Also, to adding to the Netflix comment, I know in addition to the originals, DW already has Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Prince of Egypt (as well as Joseph: King of Dreams), and Antz, so seeing an original series on Netflix wouldn't surprise me. Unfortunately, given the above comment, it looks to just be a pipe dream for now.

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    Generalization rant
    Ya know, Kung Fu Panda, Rise of the Guardians and How To Train Your Dragon, are very atypical of what people came to usually expect from Dreamworks. Dreamworks has just as much chance of "ruining" Felix the Cat as much as any other studio.

Toons These Days
    Now on ChannelAwesome.com
    New episodes return December 16!

Website | Deviantart | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon |

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At first i was rather apathetic about it, Felix feels like a character in limbo, i don't recall anything special he has done recently so its not like dreamworks could "ruin" the character. But then I started thinking about the his history; Felix is one of the oldest cartoon characters, right along bugs bunny and mickey mouse and he deserves better than he's got. That made me think about what i would LIKE to see from the character. 2D comedic slapstick animated shorts

And that made me think of what Dreamworks would do with him. Dreamworks will most likely use him in a 3D comedy movie which will NOT be one of their more brilliant films, but probably one of their more forgettable ones. Based on what I love and what i don't like from dreamworks, I can't imagine their felix comedy film being anything special. Dreamworks won't "ruin" the character, but I feel like they won't really do anything for him either... and no one else will get a shot unless they can get the license for the character from dreamworks

I'd have more interest if it were someone like Warner Bros, Disney, Nick, or even hasbro
    Last edited by Monte; 06-18-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well... This is a pickup I didn't expect.

Personally, I was never a fan of Felix. He's a boring character and his cartoons are unremarkable.

If DWA can make him interesting, I'd be fine with them making a movie or whatever. I'm not sure how they could do it, though.

Silverstar is offline Doin' the Banana Split
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I realize this is late, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga
    generalization rant about Dreamworks
    This (along with past remarks) roughly translates to "I don't like whenever cartoons use toilet humor, make pop-culture references or inside jokes, even the slightest use of any of these instantly taints a cartoon for me, regardless of whether I've actually seen it or not, and this is all I think Dreamworks and other current studios are capable of."

I'm with you on toilet humor, never been a fan of that, but the latter two aren't automatically "parent service" (whatever that is) or "insulting its' audience". They can work as long as they're not overdone and they don't take you out of the story to the point where you can no longer be invested in the show/movie or the characters. And yes, Dreamworks has employed these motifs a lot, but they've also made things like How to Train Your Dragon and Rise of the Guardians. The fact that you're constantly decrying these cartoons as bad and writing them off without the benefit of having even experienced them doesn't help your case, I must say. If I can make a suggestion: you need to expose yourself to more movies and TV shows from Dreamworks and other studios before you make those kinds of pat judgments, be open-minded rather than writing everything from a particular studio off as trash and bashing them without fully experiencing what they have to offer. By refusing to watch shows and movies and snarking about them without even seeing them, you're not making the producers of Dreamworks movies and other films and TV shows insane with rage, you're only angering yourself and defeating your own arguments. As Dudley mentioned, Dreamworks has as much chance of "ruining" Felix as any other studio.

There's also the factor that Goldstar Neo and Daikun mentioned: that Felix is basically a cipher and his cartoons over the years have typically ranged from the unremarkably mediocre to the overly bizarre. "Make a Felix the Cat movie only if it's truly a Felix the Cat movie"? How does one define that, exactly? What constitutes a "true" Felix the Cat project? What are we using as the base of comparison? The original 30's shorts? The Trans-Lux cartoons? That weird movie? Twisted Tales? The Asian fashion line? What?? The truth is that Felix has never had a set personality in place nor have his universe or his cartoons had any set of rules that it rigidly adheres to. The closest thing to continuity that Felix has ever had was the presence of his magic bag, and even with that we've never been given any insight as to what it is, where it came from, how Felix came into possession of it or how it works. If Dreamworks can establish ANY kinds of rules or disciplines for Felix, it would be a step up and more than any Felix cartoon has had before.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 06-29-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i believe they could make another series or movie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123