Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eric B is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I see it as possible, since Turner is not completely integrated into WB, and is still being treated as a separate company.
    What I would hope if it ever falls apart, is that they do an exchange to keep like product libraries together: WB gets the pre-48's in exchange for pre-92 DC/JLA, to stay with the rest of the HB library.
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I see it as possible, since Turner is not completely integrated into WB, and is still being treated as a separate company.
    What I would hope if it ever falls apart, is that they do an exchange to keep like product libraries together: WB gets the pre-48's in exchange for pre-92 DC/JLA, to stay with the rest of the HB library.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/bu...enue.html?_r=0

FWIW, TW hasn't plans to spin off Turner just yet. In fact, when Ted left his company in 2006, when insiders asked him about whether or not he'd ever like to reacquire the assets of his former business, he's said he couldn't afford them anymore.

~Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking more in terms of someone else buying it, not Turner buying it back. I've gotten no sense that anyone is, right now, but the fact that it is still maintaining its status as a separate entity makes it look possible.
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking more in terms of someone else buying it, not Turner buying it back. I've gotten no sense that anyone is, right now, but the fact that it is still maintaining its status as a separate entity makes it look possible.
    I don't mean the whole Turner empire, BTW. Of the Turner assets, WB should keep the pre-1948 cartoon backlog, the pre-1986 MGM/UA backlog and the Hanna-Barbera/Ruby-Spears stuff.

~Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont want anything sold

Checkerboard is online now THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Sell it to who? And why? Yes, they're not using it to the fullest, but that's about it. It's probably one of the largest, if not the largest, animation libraries there is. It wouldn't be cheap. Plus I don't see any other station making more use of it than Boom and CN.

So NO, keep it. Just make better use of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicTVMan1981 View Post
    I don't mean the whole Turner empire, BTW. Of the Turner assets, WB should keep the pre-1948 cartoon backlog, the pre-1986 MGM/UA backlog and the Hanna-Barbera/Ruby-Spears stuff.

~Ben
    I would wish MGM/UA would buy their own stuff back, and the HB library along with it, and then it would be MGM vs WB again, instead of WB owning all of it. But I guess in your suggestion, at least the JLA and LT/MM stuff would stay together.
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

ZumbidoMetal is offline Screwy, Ain't I?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know to what degree Warner Bros. Television Distribution has made available the Hanna-Barbera library, but Turner's license certainly isn't exclusive. Examples include DIC's license of The Smurfs for their syndicated block and both WGN America and ABC Family licensing Christmas specials like A Flintstone Christmas and Yogi's First Christmas.

ILDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would wish MGM/UA would buy their own stuff back, and the HB library along with it, and then it would be MGM vs WB again, instead of WB owning all of it.
    And that's exactly why WB will never sell the library. They don't want to give a competitor a helping hand, even if they get a trillion dollars in return. They'd have to be pretty desperate to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDC View Post
    And that's exactly why WB will never sell the library. They don't want to give a competitor a helping hand, even if they get a trillion dollars in return. They'd have to be pretty desperate to do that.
    Yeah! To put that another way, they'd have to be in bad economic shape if they ever wanted to do that. And we do love Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo all the way!

~Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast