Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

No, they shouldn't sell the library. Instead they should sell the streaming rights.
    Seriously, they need to make the vast library of cartoons especially the HB library out to sites like Netflix or Hulu, or even just have it all available on iTunes.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If Ted Turner passes away in the future...

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    If Ted Turner passes away in the future...
    Ted's not calling the shots anymore. Hasn't been for some time. So what happens with him has no bearing on how Turner Broadcasting conducts its' business.

Also, as previously stated, the HB and MGM libraries are currently owned by Warner Brothers, with Turner (as in Broadcasting, not Ted) only having a small controlling interest. The Cartoon Network properties are all that's exclusively Turner's, so they couldn't sell off the HB and MGM libraries even if they wanted to.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Eric B is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So is his small controlling interest why the company is not totally integrated/dissolved?
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    So is his small controlling interest why the company is not totally integrated/dissolved?
    Theirs, not 'his'. It's Turner Broadcasting holding the minor controlling interest license in the MGM and HB properties, not Ted Turner himself. Business-wise, Ted's out of the picture. Ted stepped down as head of Turner Broadcasting in 2006, and he was basically a figurehead for several years before that. He has nothing to do with the current workings of the company. I have no idea why Turner/Time-Warner is so disassembled, but it's not solely because of him.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Eric B is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah; I wondered why after he stepped down they kept it as a separate entity.
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You are absolutely right, SIlverstar. Ted Turner couldn't make that sole decision in selling their animation library. I really hope they don't sell their animation library but I'm sure there are other ways to get around too it like selling the streaming rights like Dudley has stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    Theirs, not 'his'. It's Turner Broadcasting holding the minor controlling interest license in the MGM and HB properties, not Ted Turner himself. Business-wise, Ted's out of the picture. Ted stepped down as head of Turner Broadcasting in 2006, and he was basically a figurehead for several years before that. He has nothing to do with the current workings of the company. I have no idea why Turner/Time-Warner is so disassembled, but it's not solely because of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZumbidoMetal View Post
    I don't know to what degree Warner Bros. Television Distribution has made available the Hanna-Barbera library, but Turner's license certainly isn't exclusive. Examples include DIC's license of The Smurfs for their syndicated block and both WGN America and ABC Family licensing Christmas specials like A Flintstone Christmas and Yogi's First Christmas.

That reminds me of the episodes of Snorks up on Hulu, those appear to come from a different ource from the ones on DVD, wouldn't surprise me if they're from a different company outside WB altogether.

In the case of the Smurfs, that does seem kinda tricky as I feel WB only has North American distribution of the show, as elsewhere in the world there had been DVD releases of the show that came out through different labels often from fairer quality prints (i hate to say 16mm but it does seem a tad grainy), possibly whatever the copyright owners of The Smurfs themselves could acquire on their end back in Belgium.
    FREE CARTOONS ARE A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT!

BartWinkle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally would've wanted MGM to re-acquire the rights to its properties. Can you imagine if that were to happen, the current-or recent version of MGM's famed lion emblem followed by the classic logo from the '20s through the ''50s on the studio's features-though it may scare some people? I'd love to contrast the roars of the lions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2