Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    The difference, though, is that Scrappy worked. Scrappy kept the Scooby Doo franchise alive for years. Gazoo drove a stake through the heart of the relateable Honeymooners-style domestic comedy that made the Flintstones popular with a wider audience, and it did nothing to help the series get another season.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Others here basically summed it up: Gazoo was seen by many as just too big a departure from the show's normal goings-on. the basic premise of a "modern Stone Age family" aping The Honeymooners was baroque enough, add to that the gimmick characters of the Gruesomes, who were Gothic monster types existing millions of years before the Gothic movement had been invented was enough of a stretch, but a magical green alien from the future was just too much and he really didn't fit in with the rest of the Flintstones universe. Plus, as Shawn mentioned, Gazoo didn't really help to prolong the series; the show just ended after his episodes. We didn't even get an on-camera resolution to his plot of having to perform good deeds so he'd be allowed to return to his home planet Zetox (sp?), so he gained the reputation of being the show's "jump the shark" moment on top of that.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wouldn't Gazoo have been a better fit in The Jetsons instead?

ToonReel is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    Note: Gazoo died in the way to his home planet.
    "What an unfitting end for such an important periphery character!"

While Gazoo certainly didn't help, it's hard to say whether he was really where the show jumped the shark, the original premise had already waned greatly by that point, with an over reliance on guest stars or more surreal storylines. Not to mention they'd already started the whole 'overhyped new character' shtick with Pebbles, Bam Bam and even his kangeroo thing that was rarely shown.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    I guess that Gazoo just wan't popular with the shows' fans. Being a magical powered alien from the future kind of took one out of the premise of the "modern Stone Age family".. The Gruesome's were enough of a departure.

The thing is, I do recall there being a Great Gazoo comic book and maybe a coloring book during my childhood (I'm not sure if that one's real or if I just imagined it). And Gazoo did appear in 1 or 2 Pebbles Cereal commercials. If you're observant, you can spot him in the background of the Cupcake Pebbles commercial. He was also in a Pebbles commercial that spoofed American Idol.
    Yes, there was a Gazoo comic book. Charlton put it out when they had the license to do a Flintstones book.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar Neo View Post
    As Lisa Simpson once put it, "Most shows bring in new characters when they're running out of ideas."

The Great Gazoo was basically a pre-Scrappy Doo; he was a new character who was brought on to the show in an attempt to breathe new life into the series. after 4 seasons, The Flintstones' writers must have felt that they had taken the "Modern Stone Age Family" concept as far as it can go, and began stooping to some rather desperate tactics to keep people interested, most notably, the use magical characters such as Gazoo and a guest appearance by Samantha Stevens from Bewitched in 1 episode.

As Eric mentioned, the next new Flintstones series after the original series ended was Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm (1973), which was a flash forward series focusing on the kids as teenagers which put them and their friends in the front, Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty were only supporting players. there was no place for Gazoo, who could only be seen by Fred and Barney. Plus, as I mentioned, many fans saw the introduction of Gazoo as a "jump the shark" moment for the series, which is likely why Gazoo never appeared again aside from Easter Egg appearances.
    Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm debuted in 1971, and was replaced with the Flintstone Comedy Hour/Show the next year. Had it started in '73, Sally Struthers (All In The Family) would never have been Pebbles. As it was, she left due to AITF commitments after the 1971-2 season.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think The Great Gazoo did appear in a Fruity Pebbles commercial where he steals all the orange. I know it because I've seen the commercial in '98.

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Adding to further appearance(s), the plot of "The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino & Hoppy" (for the NES) involved gathering pieces of Gazoo's time machine to go into the future.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alonso Torrejon View Post
    I think The Great Gazoo did appear in a Fruity Pebbles commercial where he steals all the orange. I know it because I've seen the commercial in '98.
    Yeah, I remember that. When the orange pebbles were part of a contest.

I also vaguely remember a Cartoon Network promo starring Gazoo saying that he can do anything, except control the schedule so he let viewers vote for which episode was airing next. When viewers voted for his debut episode, he cheered saying "It's one of my favorites" or something like that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSong View Post
    Yeah, I remember that. When the orange pebbles were part of a contest.

I also vaguely remember a Cartoon Network promo starring Gazoo saying that he can do anything, except control the schedule so he let viewers vote for which episode was airing next. When viewers voted for his debut episode, he cheered saying "It's one of my favorites" or something like that.
    No doubt you must be talking about "My Favorite Fred".

It starts from 1:40 to 2:10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast