Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Jerry Beck on Stu's Show Tonight

Like This Thread!
    Cartoon historian Jerry Beck will be on Stu's Show again tonight, at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific. Unfortunately, I won't be able to listen to it live; anybody out there willing to make Cliff's Notes of the show?

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sure.

I'm going to ask about the forthcoming Olive Films releases of Betty Boop. Hopefully, Jerry isn't far removed from that.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks.

I sent an e-mail asking if there will be any more LT Super-Stars sets. Lemme know if it's read/answered, please?

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, here we go

- Jerry Beck is co-hosting a day of animation on TCM with Robert Osbourne, October 21.
    - Jerry has ideas for animation on TCM that may be implemented in the future
    - Jerry and TCM are working on making the TCM show the best it can possibly be (with regards to PQ of Mr. Bug and Gulliver)
    - Dreamworks buying Classic Media: Jerry is pretty optimistic that Dreamworks will be good stewards of the Classic Media holdings
    - Paramount recently restored Mr. Bug AND Gulliver
    - CENSORED ELEVEN!!!!!!!!! Donald Bogle doing intros, cartoons have all been restored. Supposed to be announced at Comic-con, but wasn't.
    - it's sounds like Warner is really waiting for Sony to greenlight their Popeye movie to finish restoration on those cartoons.
    - special anniversary Woody Woodpecker set for Universal 100th anniversary (
    - Mr. Magoo delayed so Sony can restore cartoons.
    - Tom and Jerry Golden Collection V2; coming out next year.
    - They answered my Olive Films question; sadly, Jerry doesn't share my optimism about the issue
    - TCM Jolly Frolics set very successful; TCM is discussing plans for rest of Sony-owned.
    - Thunderbean is Working on special project with Jerry.
    - Preliminary plans for Tex Avery.
    - LT Platinum V2: Bonus material mostly replicated from Golden Collections. Bonus cartoons won't be restored on Platinum Collection #2.
    - Hare-Um Scare-Um will most likely have original ending
    - Blu-Ray's more profitiable than DVD's at this point
    -- New Looney Tunes Super Stars in November. No info, but Bob Bergen did an intro ("beans" was also mentioned. Probably Porky-related)
    - Warner anniversary set on the board.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    - CENSORED ELEVEN!!!!!!!!! Donald Bogle doing intros, cartoons have all been restored. Supposed to be announced at Comic-con, but wasn't.
    I'm intrigued.
    Was there any reason given for not coming out this year? I was assuming these would be yearly sets... I guess I assumed wrong.
    -- New Looney Tunes Super Stars in November. No info, but Bob Bergen did an intro ("beans" was also mentioned. Probably Porky-related)
    Cool. If a LTSS set of Porky cartoon was made, this would be a pretty good disc:
    -Cracked Quack
    -Thumb Fun
    -Boston Quackie
    -China Jones
    -My Generation G-G-Gap
    -Dog Collared
    -Fool Coverage
    -Riff Raffy Daffy
    -Daffy Doodles
    -Nothing But the Tooth
    -The Pest That Came to Dinner
    -Little Orphan Airedale
    -One Meat Brawl
    -Mouse Menace
    -Brother Brat

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    It's about time! Hopefully, we'll be seeing this soon. I'm curious about this collection, but when it comes down to it, I'm really only going to purchase it for one short: All This and Rabbit Stew

I'm really disappointed this won't be out this year, along with the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection V2.

- Preliminary plans for Tex Avery.
    Preliminary plans? I would have thought they were in later stages by now on something for Tex. I know there's going to be a few Tex Avery bonus features, and possibly shorts, on the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection V2, but I don't know if that'll be enough for fans like me who want a complete collection of Tex's MGM shorts.

Was there any mention of the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection V2 Blu-ray coming in a DigiBook format, or even a possible Collector's Edition Box, like V1 did? The cover images appear to be standard case/slipsleeve designs.

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All of this sounds really cool, especially Tex and Censored 11 sets as possibilities, and I'm already excited for Platinum Collection vol. 2. Things certainly seem more optimistic for classic animation on home video compared to a few years ago.

I should really get that UPA collection, but I don't really know anything about these cartoons. Oh well, Jerry's night of animation on TCM will rectify that!

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also: hopefully the Censored 11 set will be a catch-all for all the unreleasable cartoons (Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips included).

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Also: hopefully the Censored 11 set will be a catch-all for all the unreleasable cartoons (Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips included).
    That would be cool. I don't understand why these so called "Censored 11" are considered so special anyway, when there are many more cartoon shorts that have also been banned. Can someone enlighten me?

I don't know the history of these shorts, but my original guess was that maybe these 11 are so important because they were banned immediately (or within a certain amout of time) after their first screenings, while most censored or banned cartoons got more mileage later on television and weren't pulled until some time had passed and they were later deemed too offensive. But this theory can't be true, because I've heard that "All This and Rabbit Stew", which is one of the Censored 11, ran quite a bit in the early days of TV.

Or maybe it's the opposite -- with the Censored 11 getting banned after being run over time, when others of the kind were usually banned right away?

Eric B is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think those were the original censored ones, (whether they made it to early TV or not), and this because they were so out there in the racial references, while the other ones that have been banned were not as bad, and thus it took longer for them to be banned (some making it to the last couple of decades), as sensitivities increased.
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast