Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Toonatic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones Collection on Blu-ray this August!

Like This Thread!

Jerry Beck said something about a Chuck Jones Mouse set, but I didn't imagined it was coming to Blu-ray!!!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8672

"In August, Warner Home Entertainment will bring the Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones Collection to Blu-ray. This package bundles together nineteen mouse-themed shorts from legendary animator Chuck Jones, shorts that include:

"Naughty but Mice"
    "Little Brother Rat"
    "Sniffles and the Bookworm"
    "Sniffles Takes a Trip"
    "The Egg Collector"
    "Bedtime for Sniffles"
    "Sniffles Bells the Cat"
    "Toy Trouble"
    "The Brave Little Bat"
    "The Unbearable Bear"
    "Lost and Foundling"
    "Hush, My Mouse"
    "The Aristo Cat"
    "Trap Happy Porky"
    "Roughly Squeaking"
    "House Hunting Mice"
    "Mouse Wreckers"
    "The Hypo-Chondri-Cat"
    "Cheese Chasers"
    Warner has not yet detailed the technical and supplementary materials for this two-disc set, though the distributor's preliminary press listing indicates that "Extra Content" will accompany the individual Looney Tunes.

Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones Collection streets on August 28th."

So buying this (and the DVD version too, if there is one). There just one problem; this set is missing The Mouse On 57th Street.

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ... I feel this is the first step into something bigger. Continuing Platinum Collections and theme discs!?

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I probably won't get this. I'm not a fan of the Sniffles shorts, and many of the Hubie & Bertie shorts are already on DVD. This seems like a "get it out of the way" release, much like the Rudy Larriva-heavy Road Runner Super-Stars set.

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Warner Bros. really should re-release the Chuck Jones Tom and Jerry collection ON BLU-RAY as a companion to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonatic View Post

So buying this (and the DVD version too, if there is one). There just one problem; this set is missing The Mouse On 57th Street.
    Maybe they'll put "The Mouse On 57th Street" on the next volume of Looney Tunes Platinum Collection.

DuckTwacy is offline French phone.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmm... interesting choice for a set. Still, this looks good for future Looney Tunes blu rays.
    *insert another Great Piggy Bank Robbery reference here*

GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post
    I probably won't get this. I'm not a fan of the Sniffles shorts, and many of the Hubie & Bertie shorts are already on DVD. This seems like a "get it out of the way" release, much like the Rudy Larriva-heavy Road Runner Super-Stars set.
    So, which ones have already been released on disc?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorMan92 View Post
    So, which ones have already been released on disc?
    Mouse Wreckers: GC vol. 2
    Cheese Chasers: GC vol. 2
    The Aristo-Cat: GC vol. 4
    The Hypo-Chondri-Cat: GC vol. 1
    Sniffles Takes a Trip: GC vol. 6 (special feature; unrestored)

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Mouse Wreckers" is also included on the Warner Brothers Academy Awards Animation Collection as a nominee.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I never thought I would see WB release THAT much Sniffles at once.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daedalus View Post

I don't see it that way: the Larriva RR toons are almost universally despised. These cartoons, while not too well know, have a consensus of being pretty good (I certainly am a fan).

What you call "get it out of the way," I call the beginning of a new release strategy.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    TVShowsOnDVD says that the special features will include a featurette, some bonus cartoons, and audio commentary. Here's hoping the bonus cartoons aren't on DVD yet, such as the aforementioned The Mouse on 57th Street. That would entice me towards a purchase a bit more.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This hasn't been mentioned here yet, so...

According to DVD Talk, the bonus cartoons are:
    The Country Mouse
    The Lyin' Mouse
    The Mice Will Play
    Little Blabbermouse
    Shop Look & Listen
    Mouse Mazurka
    Mouse-Warming
    Mouse-Taken Identity
    Mice Follies
    It's Nice to Have a Mouse Around the House
    Merlin the Magic Mouse

Not a bad list, but it's perplexing why The Mouse on 57th Street was left out. I mean, it's a cartoon starring a mouse; why not include it? Oh well. I do like how much is included; there's more new-to-DVD/BD stuff here than the upcoming Platinum collection. Hopefully "Mice Follies" will use a better audio mix than the version on Saturday Morning Cartoons Vol. 1; that one had such muffled audio that it was hard to hear the background music.

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It really doesn't matter, since all the bonus cartoons are unrestored.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    It really doesn't matter, since all the bonus cartoons are unrestored.
    Obviously the ideal situation would be that everything on a set is restored, but given the choice between a set full of pretty much nothing but restored double dips (see the "Essential" line, or the Sylvester & Tweety Super-Stars) versus a set with mostly (or all) new-to-DVD material and with some unrestored cartoons, I'll take the latter.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeesh... I kinda take back what I said about the unrestored shorts, because outside of a couple exceptions ("Mice Follies" looks... OK, certainly better than on Saturday Morning Cartoons), the unrestored bonus cartoons on the set look terrible, especially the earlier ones from the '30s and "Merlin the Magic Mouse". They're so faded and low res they might as well have not bothered. They all have unpleasant jaggies, though.

As for the rest of the set, I'm pretty disappointed that few new title cards were found; there were still a lot of Blue Ribbons. And the Sniffles shorts, while I can appreciate them for showcasing Chuck Jones's evolution as a director and do have some fine animation, still don't get me to laugh all that much and are really slow-paced at times. That said, I did like the final three Sniffles shorts: "The Unbearable Bear" was good because of its more experimental direction, how it changed Sniffles into a chatterbox, and how it spent more time on the burglar/bear couple chasing each other throughout the house; "Lost and Foundling" had an interesting conflict when the hawk that Sniffles raised realized it's supposed to eat mice; and "Hush, My Mouse" came out at a time when Jones was doing nothing BUT wacky cartoons so this cartoon was molded to resemble those, and as a result it's not cutesy at all. "Sniffles Bells the Cat" wasn't too bad, either, I suppose. At least there was an engaging plot, unlike "Sniffles Takes a Trip" or "Bedtime For Sniffles".

As for the non-Sniffles cartoons, it was great to get "House Hunting Mice" and "Roughly Squeaking" on BD, and two of my all-time favorite shorts, "Cheese Chasers" and "Mouse Wreckers", were awesome in HD. Never been big on "The Hypo-chondri Cat", though.