Leviathan is online now "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Olive Films to release Betty Boop

Like This Thread!
    So a representative from Olive Films came onto the Home Theater Forum and alluded to the fact that they had licensed dozens of titles from the Republic Pictures library, including one of the notable holdings of that library, Betty Boop (scroll down to post #342)

There's good news and bad news attached to that. From the horse's mouth:

Olive has picked up all the non-PD Betty Boop titles. About 65 or so shorts. They will release them in 1 or 2 boxed sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peck
    Only the 66 NON-PD titles were acquired. All of the PD ones are out on DVD already.
    These 66 shorts will re-mastered in HD
    Their reasoning for excluding the PD shorts is misguided, as unofficial releases of the cartoons will never look as good as remastered HD copies, for obvious reasons. This would be a sales draw in and of itself.

If you're concerned about this, try and contact Olive Films (through e-mail, FB page, or whatever). If enough people respond, maybe they'll reconsider.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so there's a grand total of 110 cartoons featuring Betty Boop. 24 of them are part of the Talkartoons series and for the most part feature Betty as an athropomorphic dog.

At least 33 are truly in the public domain if the list at Internet Archive is any indication...

Dizzy Dishes (1930 Talkartoon, DEBUT)
    Barnacle Bill (1930 Talkartoon)
    Mysterious Mose (1930 Talkartoon)
    Let Me Call You Sweetheart (1930, Screen Songs)
    Silly Scandals (1931, Talkartoon)
    Bimbo's Initiation (1931, Talkartoon)
    Bimbo's Express (1931, Talkartoon)
    Minding the Baby (1931, Talkartoon)
    Jack and the Beanstalk (1931, Talkartoon)
    Mask-A-Raid (1931, Talkartoon)
    Any Rags? (1932, Talkartoon)
    Boop-oop-a-doop (1932, Talkartoon)
    Minnie The Moocher (1932, Talkartoon)
    A Hunting We Will Go (1932, Talkartoon)
    Crazy Town (1932, Talkartoon)
    Stopping the Show (1932)
    Betty Boop, M.D. (1932)
    Betty Boop for President (1932)
    Betty Boop's Ker-choo (1933)
    Is My Palm Read? (1933)
    Snow White (1933)
    Popeye the Sailor (1933, ON DVD FROM WARNERS)
    The Old Man in the Mountain (1933)
    She Wronged Him Right (1934)
    Ha! Ha! Ha! (1934)
    Betty in Blunderland (1934)
    Poor Cinderella [1934, FIRST AND ONLY BETTY BOOP MADE IN TECHNICOLOR (2-Strip)]
    Betty Boop and Grampy (1935)
    Henry, The Funniest Living American (1935)
    A Song A Day! (1936)
    More Pep (1936)
    The Lost Kitten (1938)
    Buzzy Boop (1938)

Not sure what the other two are but this is most of them.
    Last edited by Lord Dalek; 03-29-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Leviathan is online now "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm almost certain at least some of those are not in the public domain.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a terribly inaccurate "public domain" list. Every single title you list before CRAZY TOWN—and quite a few after it—are actually copyrighted.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well if a lot of whats on public domain compilation box sets actually is copyrighted, we may never know exactly how much Fleischer Olive is prepared to release until they actually do so. Its possible that their pr guy was basing his number off of what's not on one of the box sets and as such isn't aware that some of those shorts are bootlegs.

EDIT: Here's a brief rundown of what's considered to be "PD" by various video companies. It is important to note that only two Talkartoons are included in this list.

Minnie The Moocher (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)

Chess-Nuts (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)
    I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Collection)
    Betty Boop's Bamboo Isle (An Original Flesicher Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collector's Edition, The Vintage Collection)

Betty Boop's Kerchoo (Collectable Tin)

Betty Boop's Crazy Inventions (Collectable Tin)

Is My Palm Read? (Collectable Tin)

Betty Boop's Big Boss (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collector's Edition)

Snow-White (An Original Flesicher Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)

The Old Man of the Mountain (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Collection)

I Heard (The Vintage Years)

Morning, Noon and Night (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Collection)

Parade of the Wooden Soldiers (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Collection)

She Wronged Him Right (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Collection)
    Betty in Blunderland (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)
    Betty Boop's Rise to Fame (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)
    Stop That Noise (An Original Flesicher Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; The Vintage Collection)
    Poor Cinderella (The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition)

Baby Be Good (Collectable Tin)

Swat the Fly (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)

No! No! A Thousand Times No! (Collectable Tin)

A Little Soap and Water (Collectable Tin

A Language All My Own (Collectable Tin

Betty Boop and Grampy (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition

Betty Boop and the Little King (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; Collectable Tin)

Judge for a Day (Collectable Tin)

Betty Boop and Little Jimmy (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; Collectable Tin)

Betty Boop and Henry, The Funniest Living American (Collectable Tin)

Making Stars (Collectable Tin)

Little Nobody (Collectable Tin)

A Song A Day (Collectable Tin)

Happy You and Merry Me (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; Collectable Tin)

Grampy's Indoor Outing (Collectable Tin)

Making Friends (Collectable Tin)

Be Human (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition)

Not Now (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition; The Vintage Collection)

We Did It (Collectable Tin)

More Pep (Collectable Tin)

Taking The Blame (Collectable Tin)

You're Not Built That Way (Collectable Tin)

House Cleaning Blues (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition)

Candid Candidate (Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition)

Pudgy Picks a Fight (Collectable Tin)

Pudgy Takes a Bow-Wow (Collectable Tin)

The Impractical Joker (An Original Fleischer Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's edition; The Vintage Collection)

Ding Dong Doggie (Collectable Tin)

Hot Air Salesman (Collectable Tin)

Musical Mountaineers (An Original Fleisher Cartoon; The Vintage Years; Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition)

The Scared Crows (Collectable Tin; Collector's Edition)
    So Does an Automobile (Collectable Tin)
    My Friend the Monkey (Collectable Tin)
    Rhythm on the Reservation (Collectable Tin)
    Last edited by Lord Dalek; 03-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.