Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Scooby-Doo: 13 Spooky Tales Around the World

Like This Thread!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Scooby-All-Stars-13-Spooky-Tales-Around-The-World/16417

T
    his appears to be another theme compilation a la Winter Wonderdog.

This particular theme compilation, perhaps the first 2-DVD set in the Scooby universe to do so, focuses on the 1976-85 period.

DISC 1
    1. The Fiesta Host is an Aztec Ghost (from The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour) (9/11/76)
    2. The Harum Scarum Sanitarium (from The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour) (10/23/76)
    3. The Spirits of '76 (from The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour) (12/18/76)
    4. Creepy Tangle in the Bermuda Triangle (from Scooby-Doo Where Are You! '78 / Scooby's All-Stars) (9/23/78)
    5. To Switch a Witch (from Scooby-Doo Where Are You! '78 / Scooby's All-Stars) (9/16/78)
    6. A Menace in Venice (from Scooby-Doo Where Are You! '78 / Scooby's All-Stars) (12/2/78)

DISC 2
    1. Shiver and Shake, That Demon's a Snake! (from Scooby and Scrappy-Doo) (10/20/79)
    2. Lock the Door, It's a Minotaur (from Scooby and Scrappy-Doo) (12/29/79)
    3. The Ozark Witch Switch (from Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics) (10/15/77)
    4. Jeepers, It's the Jaguaro! (from Scooby-Doo Where Are You! '78 / Scooby's All-Stars) (10/28/78)
    5. Moonlight Madness (from The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show) (1/10/81)
    6. Ghosts of the Ancient Astronauts (1 of 2) (from The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries) (10/13/84)
    7. Ghosts of the Ancient Astronauts (2 of 2) (from The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries) (10/13/84)

TVSOD acknowledges the sad truth that these "theme" compilations actually sell better than the season sets, but I cannot feel too bad for any of this since when this is released, we are actually going to be treated to some previously unreleased on DVD episodes of Scooby-Doo (including one episode from 1977-78's Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, two from the 1979-80 season of Scooby and Scrappy-Doo and one segment from the future volume 2 of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show's 1st season of 1980-81 and, finally, one half-hour, two-part episode from 1984-85's The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries).

In short, disc one is all previously released (and remastered) material, whereas disc two has almost all of its material new to DVD (only one episode on this disc, "Jeepers! It's the Jaguaro!" from Scooby-Doo Where Are You! Season 3) is previously remastered/released).

~Ben

Nickle98499 is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds good to me. Although it's kind of weird that they would release some of the episodes from the 1977, 1979 and 1984 seasons, but not a whole series/season release of any of those seasons.

Although I guess it's better then nothing; now maybe WB will get their act together and release the other episodes from those years on DVD.
    I have a fan fiction.net account too it's at:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/~scoobyfan1

I also have an account at fanfic.me, it's http://fanfic.me/author-profile/?user=3757. Or Mysteryfan1984, if you prefer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to see Scooby and Scrappy Doo finally getting soome love, even if it's only a couple episodes.
    http://www.scoobyfan.net
    Velma: There's a very logical explanation for all this.
    Shaggy: Quick, tell me.
    Velma: The place is haunted.
    Shaggy: Thanks a lot.

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hah... Scrappy FTW.

derosa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicTVMan1981 View Post
    TVSOD acknowledges the sad truth that these "theme" compilations actually sell better than the season sets, but I cannot feel too bad for any of this since when this is released, we are actually going to be treated to some previously unreleased on DVD episodes of Scooby-Doo (including one episode from 1977-78's Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, two from the 1979-80 season of Scooby and Scrappy-Doo and one segment from the future volume 2 of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show's 1st season of 1980-81 and, finally, one half-hour, two-part episode from 1984-85's The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries).

In short, disc one is all previously released (and remastered) material, whereas disc two has almost all of its material new to DVD (only one episode on this disc, "Jeepers! It's the Jaguaro!" from Scooby-Doo Where Are You! Season 3) is previously remastered/released).

~Ben
    I am really starting to wonder now if we will ever see DVD releases of the
    continuation of rest of this era's unfinished Scooby Doo, DynoMutt, and Richie
    Richie Rich, laff-a-lympics volume sets.

iTunes has the 8 Scooby Doo episodes from 1977, and there are more Richie
    Rich, and Scrappy shorts on both Amazon and iTunes not released on DVD.

The fact that this new random set is coming out, it's like WB has specifically to chosen
    to compile a few random Scooby shows rather than to continue to release on DVD material
    that isn't out yet.

I just wonder why they chose those specific episodes for a DVD release?
    If the market is for the "casual" impulse buy crowd at Target stores or whatever,
    do you really think it matters at all what the specific episodes are? People are
    picking up these 1 or 2 disc sets not knowing what's on them.

It would just make way more sense to continue on with the sets they haven't
    finished, maybe marketing them differently, but for cryin' out loud, include
    unreleased epsiodes already, or at the very least, give some signs that
    at some point, demonstrate that the remaining unreleased stuff is coming.

likewow is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, WB could easily have made one whole disc the eight 1977 episodes. I would buy that, but I won't buy this.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Worth picking up for the new episodes, although I'll try to find it discounted somewhere.

I hope they do eventually release all the episodes on some form of physical media. My collection will feel sadly incomplete if they wait until everything goes digital.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

derosa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post

I hope they do eventually release all the episodes on some form of physical media. My collection will feel sadly incomplete if they wait until everything goes digital.
    me too. i wonder if the fact they only released 1 of the 1977 episodes makes it
    more likely, or less likely that a 8 episode set would ever be released?

My dream situation would be for WB to release a 4 disc set with those 8 SD's
    and the 4 Blue Falcon and Dynomutt episodes that are unreleased, as well
    as more Laff-a-Lympics. But at this point, I don't see that happening. I'm
    really hoping for a Captain Caveman set this year, likely if it comes it would
    be through the WAC website. These shows sort of fall into a gap in their plans,
    where they seem to keep Scooby for general releases, and the WAC stuff for
    the lesser known shows. I just wish WB would hurry up an release some
    more shows!

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You would think Warner Brothers would use these theme compilations as a stealth way of releasing episodes from the 1977season in a similiar way they used such sets to release Season 2 Smurfs episodes. There are only eight episodes, so they could mix it up with episodes from other seasons (or not), call it "Scooby's Scariest Mysteries" or something like that and you have a season set disguised as a themed set. Although I do find it interesting that this set consists of episodes from a mix of seasons and not just focused on the "classic" Mystery Inc. years.

derosa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Intensity View Post
    You would think Warner Brothers would use these theme compilations as a stealth way of releasing episodes from the 1977season in a similiar way they used such sets to release Season 2 Smurfs episodes. There are only eight episodes, so they could mix it up with episodes from other seasons (or not), call it "Scooby's Scariest Mysteries" or something like that and you have a season set disguised as a themed set. Although I do find it interesting that this set consists of episodes from a mix of seasons and not just focused on the "classic" Mystery Inc. years.
    I was thinking the same thing. Why not put 4 of the 1977 episodes on there,
    and do two volumes, and they'd be done. That's why I'm wondering if they
    still plan to actually do a release of the 8 shows together, maybe they could
    even include the 4 DynoMutt and Blue Falcon episodes they missed from
    the ScoobyDoo/DynoMutt hour. That would give them the opportunity to
    include the proper theme song for the Dynomutt hour that they flubbed from
    that set with the syndicated version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derosa View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Why not put 4 of the 1977 episodes on there,
    and do two volumes, and they'd be done. That's why I'm wondering if they
    still plan to actually do a release of the 8 shows together, maybe they could
    even include the 4 DynoMutt and Blue Falcon episodes they missed from
    the ScoobyDoo/DynoMutt hour. That would give them the opportunity to
    include the proper theme song for the Dynomutt hour that they flubbed from
    that set with the syndicated version.
    As you all shall know, for the 1977-78 season, the four BF&DM episodes had yet again a short opening bumper, like with the original 1976-77 season episodes.

Once again and plain as day, can we petition them to redo the original, 2006-released set (every time I create a petition to do this, many people do not understand such a petition, which is why all my previous attempts have failed) to include the original 1976 opening/closing themes (last seen on USA Cartoon Express reruns, that the Turner brass opted not to have upon acquiring DM, DW in 1992)?

~Ben

derosa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicTVMan1981 View Post

Once again and plain as day, can we petition them to redo the original, 2006-released set (every time I create a petition to do this, many people do not understand such a petition, which is why all my previous attempts have failed) to include the original 1976 opening/closing themes (last seen on USA Cartoon Express reruns, that the Turner brass opted not to have upon acquiring DM, DW in 1992)?

~Ben
    They won't redo the set. But at the least, if they ever release those 4 BF&DM
    i hope they could see it to include the other opening and whatever intros and
    bumpers they have. I'm not holding my breath.

derosa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's a surprise! more laff-a-lympics coming on a retail release!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Scoobys...ky-Games/16748

It's pretty good, 8 more unreleased episodes, with 4 double dips
    (2 from each of the previous 2 volumes)
    But it doesn't complete the series like I first thought it might, it leaves 8 shows still unreleased.

Disc 1
    Scooby-Doo! Spooky Games - (I don't know what this is? anyone?)
    Spain/ Himalayas *new to dvd
    India/ Israel *new to dvd
    Africa/San Francisco *new to dvd
    Grand Canyon/ Ireland *new to dvd

Disc 2
    Hawaii/ Norway * new to dvd
    North Pole/ Tahiti *new to dvd
    Arizona/ Holland *new to dvd
    Quebec/ Baghdad *new to dvd
    Swiss Alps / Toyko *on vol. 1
    Sahara / Scotland * on vol. 1
    France / Australia *on Vol. 2
    Egypt / Sherwood Forest *on Vol. 2

Add this new set to the VOL 1 and VOL 2 already out, and this completes the 1977
    episodes that aired as part of the "scooby's all star laff-a-lympic" 2 hour block.
    It leaves the 8 episodes from the 1978 season of Scooby's All Stars still to come.

Now, how about some "captain caveman" !?!?!?

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derosa View Post
    Here's a surprise! more laff-a-lympics coming on a retail release!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Scoobys...ky-Games/16748

It's pretty good, 8 more unreleased episodes, with 4 double dips
    (2 from each of the previous 2 volumes)
    But it doesn't complete the series like I first thought it might, it leaves 8 shows still unreleased.

Disc 1
    Scooby-Doo! Spooky Games - (I don't know what this is? anyone?)
    Might be a reference to the Really Rottens' Creeplys, perhaps? Or a generic naming-theme for Scooby-Doo related stuff (horror)...

Add this new set to the VOL 1 and VOL 2 already out, and this completes the 1977
    episodes that aired as part of the "scooby's all star laff-a-lympic" 2 hour block.
    It leaves the 8 episodes from the 1978 season of Scooby's All Stars still to come.

Now, how about some "captain caveman" !?!?!?
    Guess one more two-disc Laff-alympics set will complete the run then?

I assume we'll probably get Captain Caveman as a stand-alone WB Archive set, a la the Jabberjaw and Speed Buggy ones.
    Visit my other online spots:
    My blog, covering technology, comics, and animation, plus my weekly
    minorities in cartoons feature!
    Twitter
    Facebook

Mister Intensity is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll give Warner Brothers credit for making this a "stealth season set" for including the remaining season one Laff-A-Lympics episodes. Maybe they'll use a similar strategy for Laff-A-Lympics season two and the 1977 Scooby episodes.

"Scooby-Doo! Spooky Games" seems to be an original cartoon, along the lines of the DTV's. Notice disc one only has four Laff-A-Lympics episodes and Fred, Daphine, and Velma along with a monster are on the cover. "Spooky Games" probably features the gang and might be closer to a traditional Scooby-Doo mystery or it might be a variation of Laff-A-Lympics or a combination of both. It will be interesting to learn what "Spooky Games" is about.

derosa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Intensity View Post
    I'll give Warner Brothers credit for making this a "stealth season set" for including the remaining season one Laff-A-Lympics episodes. Maybe they'll use a similar strategy for Laff-A-Lympics season two and the 1977 Scooby episodes.
    Yes, despite my frustration that it's taking so long for WB to finish up the late 70's era shows
    from Scooby and the related series, i'm happy enough with getting 8 new Laff-a-Lympics on
    this set. An announcement about Captain Caveman would send me over the moon!

Eventually, the last '77 Scooby episodes will make it out, I hope that these new format sets
    might even see room to throw in somewhere the 4 Blue Falcon and Dynomutt episodes that didn't make
    that set. It's sort of ironic WB stuck to a strict interpretation of what the "Scooby Doo/Dynomutt hour"
    was on that release, and now we're getting random episodes put together in sets however they
    feel like it, with made up names, so they can market a price-point 2 disc set to casual fans.
    Money talks, I suppose.