Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    stephane dumas is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Juneau View Post
    Bring back to Boomerang, if they adding some commercials breaks through the shows, it's be great. But the fear that they play some inappropriate ad's (Like the weird Slap Chop and others informericals) despite their service is already something we argue about most Canadians kids networks. Most of the shows aired on YTV, Nickelodeon or Teletoon are aimed to kids. So, they should reduce their commercials breaks for a naive, pre-consumming and sensitive audience.
    And it didn't help things since kids ads of the age of under 13 are forbidden by a law in Quebec since the early 1980s in all tv stations located in Quebec I guess the French Teletoon, despite headquartered in Toronto, don't take chances and don't air them anyway compared to the English Teletoon. I would prefer kids ads to informercials tough despite I enjoy the parody of the Slap Shop done by Rick Mercer a couple of years ago when the Canadian conservative government was a minority.

Here the spoof, if that could cheer you up.

Martin Juneau is offline Cartoon/comic-artist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephane dumas View Post
    And it didn't help things since kids ads of the age of under 13 are forbidden by a law in Quebec since the early 1980s in all tv stations located in Quebec I guess the French Teletoon, despite headquartered in Toronto, don't take chances and don't air them anyway compared to the English Teletoon. I would prefer kids ads to informercials tough despite I enjoy the parody of the Slap Shop done by Rick Mercer a couple of years ago when the Canadian conservative government was a minority.

Here the spoof, if that could cheer you up.
    I know that Stephane. What i don't like to most newer commercials is they look forcing kids to buy those several uneeded things without the kids made valids opinions. Kids and especially teenagers now have laptop, smartphones and iPods individually. We're really in the age of hyper consumming and individualism to excessiveness.

A good thing for this time that Quebec's stations don't have rights to air kids commercials, but it don't say they can air translations of americans commercials for kids and air them here. I notice since some years now.
    I like any kinds of arts forms who exist, but the ones who catch my attention is the ones i mostly care.

Cyberville Outcast is offline The Busiest Lazy Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would say this channel has gone bad years ago, approximately when Looney Tunes was taken off Boomerang in 2007. It seems since then, variety has gotten smaller and smaller. Boomerang is proof that 24/7 rerun channels don't work in the long run. It makes me think what Toon Disney would have been like if it was still around today (probably would have gone down the Nicktoons channel route, or simply it would be what Disney XD is today). Then again, Turner has LOTS of programming they can put on Boomerang (even the pre-1948 Looney Tunes!) that wouldn't cost them a dime to run. I agree with those who think Boomerang should return on CN as a programming block (since retro blocks have to rotate shows in and out time to time given that 4 hours isn't enough time to air 12 shows, as well as keeping the block fresh, they are more feasible than 24/7 rerun channels). On the other hand, Boomerang could rebrand into a Cartoon Network Too, airing reruns of current CN shows on hiatus, as well as running recently canceled CN shows (as far back as 3 years maybe), while the Hannah Barbara shows and classic cartoons (Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, etc.) can run 8PM-6AM, something along that line. Just a thought, but better than keeping Boomerang the way it is now.
    From entertainment to animation to life, I talk about anything here:

http://cybervillesanctuary.blogspot.com/

Toons Fan is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tom & Jerry Kids is now on every morning at 7AM. Help! It's the Hair Bear Bunch! is back on Boomerang Weekends at 7:30AM. Also the old Pink Panther cartoons are now gone from Boomerang.
    Hello my name is Toons Fan and I like a lot of Toons.
    Pokémon Episode List CN Air Dates

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No more classic Pink Panther? Bah.

Hair Bear Bunch is a welcome addition to the weekend line-up though.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are 2 main obstacles to overcome in order to make a retro channel like Boomerang or the former Toon Disney successful:

1. All rerun channels are a hard sell. It's difficult to attract sponsors to a retro channel, since most advertisers don't want to pour money into running ads on a channel that doesn't show anything new (this is why Boom and early Toon Disney and Nicktoons TV are/were ad-free). The reason for that being....

2. Viewers' minds need constant stimulation. People can only stand to sit through the same reruns so many times before they start reaching for the remote to see what else is on (especially in a case like Boomerang which only airs a select number of episodes of a select number of shows), and without the promise of new episodes coming down the pike, all rerun channels find themselves at a disadvantage in that regard. The problem with nostalgia is that it has a limited shelf life. This is why 24-hour retro channels are a dying breed now.

The biggest problems Boomerang has are a simple lack of variety and the fact that no one at Turner cares enough about the channel to have its' back.

Turner could easily attract admen and sponsors to the channel by becoming ad-supported and with money they could obtain more 3rd party acquisitions, but that would be a double-edged sword, as commercials would create the need for more new and original shows and that could and likely would push the older shows further and further to the wayside.

There's no real need for Turner to do that unless they were to give the entire channel a makeover and turn it to something else entirely. Truthfully, between the Turner and Warner libraries, there's enough programming to sustain Boomerang for a good long while, if Turner and Warners would just take advantage of it. They could set up blocks, like a theatrical shorts block, a HB block, a WB block, an MGM block, a superhero cartoon block, a Cartoon-Cartoon block, a preschool block for shows like Mr. Men and Puppy in My Pocket, an anime block for Pokemon and Voltron, etc., rotate their schedules more than once in a blue moon, air each and every episode of the shows they carry (seriously, is it really too much for Turner to air every episode of every show that they own?), divide time equally between the HB rerun shows and the CN leftovers, pick up more former Cartoon-Cartoons and Silver Age WB shows (the latter would cost some money, but Turner could conceivably do it if they only acquired a few shows at a time and frequently rotated them), relegate the shows with low episode counts to the weekends, etc. Even if Boomerang is just going to be Cartoon Network's dumping ground, it could be an entertaining dumping ground.

I'd also probably change the name; like AOL, the name 'Boomerang' has become synonymous with 'old hat'. I'd probably rebrand it as CN Too or at least adopt the same 'blue ribbon cursive' branding as the European Boomerang channels.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 03-18-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Antiyonder is offline Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbro View Post
    2. Viewers' minds need constant stimulation. People can only stand to sit through the same reruns so many times before they start reaching for the remote to see what else is on, and without the promise of new episodes coming down the pike, all rerun channels find themselves at a disadvantage in that regard. The problem with nostalgia is that it has a limited shelf life. This is why 24-hour retro channels are a dying breed now.
    With all due respect, I still disagree on the matter. The reason why 24-hour retro networks are a dying breed is because the continuing practice of airing some shows in the library to death, while other shows are left on the shelf or barely air.

Example 1:Off-Topic, but looking at TV Land for example, rather than airing 40-48 titles within a 24 hour period, the approach is to airing 6-8 distinct title multiple times throughout the day. Near the end of the 2000s, afternoons consisted of nothing but 2 hours of Gunsmoke and 2 hours of Bonanza. Today it's frequent airings of The Nanny, M.A.S.H., The King of Queens, Everybody Love Raymond.

Example 2: The more relevant one. Flintstones, The Jetsons, The Smurfs and The Powerpuff Girls air 4 times per day. Granted, the number of cartoons Boomerang has in it's library might be smaller than TVLand, but surely they could muster up some shows like The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest and maybe Taz Mania. Plus, some shows like Secret Saturdays have a shorter lifespan and should be restricted to weekends (Friday included), rather than airing 7 days per week, twice a day.

Plus as mentioned by some before, Boom has a tendency not to use all of the episodes in the show's library. And really, the more episodes presented, the less the airings of the show are repetitive. Heck, one good example is the JL Series. Between the original Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, you had 91 episodes to air, but for reasons that make no sense, Boom settled for a mere 39 episodes of JLU. I mean, 39 episodes daily means that you see the same episode 9-10 times a year, whereas airing both JL series would mean that all episodes would be shown for just 4 times during a year.

No, the real problem with rerun stations is that they are a good example of the higher ups mishandling the product and blaming the product itself. Rerunning a show to death might be more effective, if said shows have new episodes on the horizon, but for a show stricly in reruns, a little moderation needs to be implemented.
    Deadpool on the "genius" of Hollywood: Everything's turned into a movie these days. -- Old TV shows, board games, candy bars. And let me tell ya, I'm totally stoked for Butterfinger The Movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guys, I've read where some shows on Boomerang may return including Huckleberry Hound ad Top Cat. What a Cartoon may return too as will the MGM cartoons.

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Delbert View Post
    Guys, I've read where some shows on Boomerang may return including Huckleberry Hound ad Top Cat. What a Cartoon may return too as will the MGM cartoons.
    A valid source or link verifying this information would help a lot.

The MGM shorts, Huckleberry Hound and Top Cat come and go from Boom all the time, so that's nothing new. That's just shuffling the lineup, which Boom does every so often.

I'm skeptical about The What-A-Cartoon Show (a Google search on this turned up nothing, and also IIRC Cartoon Network may no longer have the broadcasting rights to several of the WAC shorts which haven't been made into Cartoon-Cartoons. I may be wrong about this, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the network's rights over the non-purchased shorts expire after a certain period of time so the directors can be free to shop them around to other networks, case in point Mina & the Count later turned up as a recurring segment on Nickelodeon's Oh, Yeah! Cartoons) so overall that does little to alleviate my cynicism.

If Boom really wanted to show me something, they'd do 1 or more of the following:
    • Start taking advantage of the numerous shows which they have available to them in the Turner and WB vaults. The Warner shows would require contracts, but there's no reason why Turner shouldn't be running more of the shows which they own lock, stock and barrel on Boom, as airing them wouldn't cost Turner a red nickel. If Boom can air Ben 10 and The Secret Saturdays, there's no reason why they can't also air Megas XLR, Codename: Kids Next Door, Billy & Mandy, Time Squad, Robot Jones, etc. Heck, they could even show Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, Cartoon Planet and Sym-Bionic Titan some love.
    • Stop looping the same 10 episodes of the same 12 shows all day. Is it really too much to expect Turner to run every episode of every show that they own?
    • Designate blocks and categories for their programs to air on, as opposed to just showing whatever, whenever. Shows with low episode counts should get limited airings, like weekends only with little to no encores, and headliners like The Flintstones should air during peak viewing hours, etc.
    • Bring back interesting theme blocks and umbrella 'shows' such as 70's Super Explosion, Look What We Found!, Toon-A-Palooza, Toon Heads, Late Night Black & White, etc.
    • Finally initiate a new branding. How long can Boom keep re-using those frelling toy bumps? The European Boomerangs updated their look, why can't ours?
    If I read a press release or someone posted an article or linky-link with info like that on it, I'd finally cut Turner and Boom some slack, as that would show me that someone at Turner at long last started caring about Boomerang.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 03-20-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Cyberville Outcast is offline The Busiest Lazy Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Delbert View Post
    I hope you didn't get this source from wikipedia. The only one of the shows you mentioned that is confirmed as of now is Top Cat: http://www.locatetv.com/listings/boomerang#01-Apr-2012.
    Last edited by Cyberville Outcast; 03-20-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    From entertainment to animation to life, I talk about anything here:

http://cybervillesanctuary.blogspot.com/