Quantcast
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Nothing riles you up like a newbie giving a one sentence negative opinion regarding Boomerang or CN in general, eh StarBro?

Whether said opinion seems reasonable or unreasonable, everybody is entitled to their own.

For the latest Toonami news and programming discussion, listen to the weekly Toonami Faithful Podcast

Check out an exclusive interview with Boondocks and Black Dynamite director LeSean Thomas

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Nothing riles you up like a newbie giving a one sentence negative opinion regarding Boomerang or CN in general, eh StarBro?

Whether said opinion seems reasonable or unreasonable, everybody is entitled to their own.
    Whoa, where's this coming from? I'm pretty sure that personal attacks are against the rules here.

I'm not riled up at all. TV isn't worth getting riled up about.

Merely offering counterpoints to the points made. Certainly not trying to ruffle any feathers here. I know that's hard to convey via text, but nah, not a bit riled.

I really don't wish to disrespect, because I truly admire you and your posts, but based on what I'm reading, there's only one person getting riled up here and it's not me.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 05-04-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Jave is offline Beware of the SPLAT
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mod hat on

Starbro, Andrew: That's enough. I don't know what kind of personal issues you have with each other but please keep them away from these boards. Nobody wants to hear about them, and if they do, they can out of here.

If anyone else continues with the bickering, the passive-aggressive attitude, getting off topic, and getting riled up I'm giving out warnings. This thread is pretty much on the verge of getting closed anyway because I'm not a fan of the topic.

This is your last warning. Carry on now.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Regardless if an opinion is guided by nostalgic feelings or perceived business sense it's still just an opinion and as long as someone doesn't shove it down another person's throat the opinion that Boomerang or Cartoon Network are not what they used to be is not really anything that has to be corrected.

People seem violently opposed to change more times than not. We like consistency because it's comfortable. But the only constant in the world is change.

The opinion that CN or Boomerang is not as good as it used to be may be narrow minded but still understandable. I don't know why some people who loved the old Cartoon Network don't enjoy say, Regular Show. Maybe just never gave it a chance and I do think people opposed to newer cartoons and such should be a bit more willing to give them a fair shot. I'm attempting to give a bunch of old shows I never was interested in before a fair shot and I'm finding some appeal to me and some don't.

None the less merely having that opinion is by no means a problem. It's when someone let's their passion get the better of them and pushes that opinion upon others to the point that it could be irritating that narrow seeming view becomes a problem in polite conversation or even a more passionate argument. The same can be true of any other opinion positive or negative.

There is no true barometer for quality and everyone has different tastes so naturally some people are going to like some eras of CN or Boomerang (not that Boom had much in the way of eras) more than others and maybe even prefer a single one above all others. They could have any number of reasons for feeling that way and it usually differs depending on what kind of entertainment that viewer preferred. I don't have to think very hard in regards to why action fans and anime fans in particular would not be interested in the current Cartoon Network for instance. As both CN and Boomerang have emphasized various programming more in certain time periods than others.

I don't like to read blanket statements in debates either because I feel all blanket statements are stupid. (see what I did there?) But I've come to realize over the years people don't actually have to have a reason why they do or do not like something. They just do or don't and they don't have to answer for it if they feel they have nothing else to add, particularly when it comes to trivial matters like whether a cartoon or cartoon channel is worth their time. It doesn't make for much conversation unless you dissect it as I'm attempting to do here but causal posters on message boards probably aren't going to write a novel like some of us do.

I can see any number of reasons to like or dislike Boomerang and Cartoon Network from any time period including the current one.

And I don't assume a disgruntled individual necessarily thinks they're the only viewer that matters or anything of that sort unless they give me reason to believe they do based on continual disregard for anybody else's interests and believe me I've met more than a few people like that on the internet. People ask for stuff they want to see. I mean, why wouldn't they? Really no one but those of us who like to analyze television trends and the rise and fall of networks are all that concerned with ratings or the availability of various shows. They just think it would be swell if a show they like were to air on a channel they get. It's my honest opinion that the only thing any viewer should particularly care about is whether or not the shows they enjoy continue to do well enough to remain in production. Why would anything else matter? Sure you can root for a network and people develop a connection with literally anything but nothing in this life lasts forever.

Of course I say that as someone who enjoys looking at ratings data, seeing schedule updates, production updates, etc. but I mostly say it in defense of any show that various people bash and demand be removed from a channel. Or any network that people demand be removed because they don't like it. If it's doing well enough to air then more than a few people like it and good for them for being able to enjoy something. It doesn't matter if it's my cup of tea or not because I can very easily ignore things I have no interest in and I figure anybody else should be able to at least attempt to do the same rather than hound message boards with their demands for removal as if someone from the network was even listening.

Anyway, while straight up bashing of CN or Boomerang's current line-up is something I'd like roll my eyes at. It's become my opinion that people don't need to be corrected for saying it here or anywhere else. Their opinion is valid and if they're not using it to bait someone into an argument then really what's the harm? You can't open the mind of a narrow minded viewer with your compelling arguments of what gets ratings or what has been successful and what has not. They just know what they like, they don't have to change their minds and they probably wont change their minds due to any amount of solid reasoning in a debate. They are allowed their opinion whether everyone, anyone or no one agrees with them.

So coming back to the question of the OP, has Boomerang gone bad? It's all just a matter of opinion. I can understand why someone would feel isn't to their liking anymore just as much as I can understand why someone would greatly enjoy the current line-up, especially if they did not have the channel in years prior.

When it comes to the question of whether or not a television network is still good or ever was good, there really is no wrong answer.

For the latest Toonami news and programming discussion, listen to the weekly Toonami Faithful Podcast

Check out an exclusive interview with Boondocks and Black Dynamite director LeSean Thomas

Cartoon Ruler is offline I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Comparing Teletoon Retro and Boomerang, Teletoon Retro doesn't really air that much shows from the 90s. It only airs Ned's Newt, Stop the Smoogies, ReBoot, For Better or For Worse, The Little Lulu Show, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and The Adventures of Tintin. While Boomerang airs less than 70% of the 90s. It airs 90s shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Mike, Lu and Og, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Tom and Jerry Kids, The Batman, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Dial M for Monkey, 2 Stupid Dogs, The Justice Friends, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, Super Secret Secret Squirrel and The New Adventures of Captain Planet. If Boomerang had new idents, became ad-supported, beef up its schedule, acquire Canadian/International classics (Danger Mouse, The Raccoons, etc.) and became a basic channel like Nickelodeon, I think more viewers will watch it.

If I was in charge of Boomerang, I would air shows aimed at preschoolers (from at least 4:00AM to 9:00AM), then, air the post-1992 classics running from 9:00AM to 6:00PM. At the evening, chill out with some action n' adventure, running from 6:00PM to 7:30PM. Finally, end the night with the classics (this includes the 90s and maybe the 00's). From midnight to 4:00AM, I would air packaged versions of Looney Tunes, Yogi Bear, Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, and Bugs Bunny. This could be the weekday schedule.
    Last edited by Cartoon Ruler; 05-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Goodbye The Hub, Hello Boomerang!

Dan's Revenge is offline Revengeful
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Boomerang will often during after a show, play some kind of sketch with their intro using a red projector. Today I saw one that I don't know if I recall seeing it before, involving Quick Draw McGraw, about him thinking he didn't have his gun loaded. Was thinking there wasn't anymore.

Would be great to see newer ones being done, now that I've at least seen 2 different kinds of commercials.

On the note of commercials, I wonder why they don't promote Regular Show or MAD on there (at least RS), but they do Adventure Time and Gumball quite a bit (and it has to be that banana one for Gumball ~~~)

I've noticed Teletoon Retro's schedule. For a while, looks like it's off now, they had Alvin & the Chipmunks on there, I miss watching that. I sort-of favor that over Boomerang here, so much more variety, but in the meantime, I do prefer watching an hour of Pokemon
    Formerly HUBTigers87 | Current DVD marathon: BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo (complete)

Staying GOLD, Saturdays 11:30pm to 6:00am. Only Toonami, on [as]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/pok%C3%A9mon/EP00277927

Looks like Boomerang will finally be showing the last 12 Johtos then stepping into the Hoenn League. Wonder how far into that we'll go, and what to expect if it comes time for reruns. If we'll go back to the beginning or right back to "Address Unown"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/pok%C3%A9mon/EP00277927

Looks like Boomerang will finally be showing the last 12 Johtos then stepping into the Hoenn League. Wonder how far into that we'll go, and what to expect if it comes time for reruns. If we'll go back to the beginning or right back to "Address Unown".

Address Unknown will be on Monday at 6:30pm, then weekdays 6-7pm will be new-to-Boomerang episodes! Even if it's Hoenn, I'll watch them. Could be fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually decided to check out an episode or two of Puppy in my Pocket just to see why people dislike it so much, and here are my opinions.

It's not the most awful show ever to be aired on TV. It's not all that good, mind you, but it's okay and not horrible. It's meant for little kids, so go easy on it.

The art style and animation are fairly decent, and while the story is kinda cliche, it's also not bad and it at least tries to grab you. I also enjoyed the opening and ending songs.

My biggest problem with the show has to be the voice acting. Not so much the quality of the acting (which ranges from good to bad), but the lip synching. The lip movements don't match what's being said, and the mixing is also off. That's an obvious giveaway that this show was either not originally in English, or that the original dub used a different script and actors. Either way, it's a pretty lackluster dub. I also find it pretty hilarious how voice actors like Stephanie Sheh and Johnny Yong Bosch are apparently attached to this show (The VAs aren't credited, so I'm just going by what my ears hear).

I agree that this show isn't meant for Boomerang, but that doesn't automatically make it horrible. I personally thought it was harmless and not that bad. Like I said, it's a kid's show, so we're not really the target audience here. Besides, Boomerang at least went to the effort of making a commercial for this show, so they must want SOMEBODY to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This thing happens all the time. It happened years back with Nick At Nite that was suppose to be just to air classic old show 50's 60's 70's....before to long they were showing newer stuff that I did not consider classic. Then TV Land came around...same thing started off with all the old shows...then before you know it newer shows form the 80's and 90's, movies, original programs.

Cartoon network...started off with great old cartoons from the 50's 60's and 70's...to me classic toons..and before you know it started to show new stuff. I give them a pass because of adult swim, great stuff.

Boomerang was suppose to be the classic old stuff......now you cant tell the difference between boomerang and cartoon network. 3 hours of the Smurfs is not classic toons to me sorry.

I guess it comes down to money.

jmo.