Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bedrock
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Scooby Doo Is The Most Overrated Cartoon Of All Time.

    Like This Thread!

    There, I said it. I never got into that show. Every single episode was virtually the same. Someone they met was gonna end up the "monster." And almost always, Scooby was gonna be the hero. By accident of course. And always, the bad guys would have gotten away with it if wasn't for those meddling kids.

    This franchise has had many different shows and they're all pretty much the same. I just don't see why this show was/is so popular.

  2. #2
    garfield15's Avatar
    garfield15 is offline Member of the 10,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahahaaa...there's that word again. Overrated.

    Probably the word that actually annoys me in the Internet. Oh, there is just so much wrong with calling something overrated that it bugs the hell out of me that people still use it.
    -Kamen Rider Decade-"I'm just a Kamen Rider passing through. Better remember me!"

    -"Bang"
    TOM's final words of Toonami. The proof of what Toonami was aimed for and was meant for. Stay Gold. You will always be first and simply the best.

  3. #3
    RonDrakenfan17's Avatar
    RonDrakenfan17 is offline Luffy fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok but you fall in love with the characters that's apart of the show, say for me Shaggy and Scooby have always been my favorites since I first saw an episode. Than as of now Fred has becom one of my favorites
    One Piece fan. Bleach fan.

  4. #4
    Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bedrock
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonDrakenfan17 View Post
    Ok but you fall in love with the characters that's apart of the show, say for me Shaggy and Scooby have always been my favorites since I first saw an episode. Than as of now Fred has becom one of my favorites
    It's more to do with the concept. IMO, every episode is the same.

  5. #5
    Neo Ultra Mike's Avatar
    Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East Northport
    Posts
    6,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How can you call Scooby Doo "overratted" though. "Overmarkatable" defintley, "overused forumla" well yeah that's kind of obvious, and "Overplayed" for sure, espiecally compared to any other Hannah Barbera cartoon. But "overratted?" wouldn't that mean that tons upon tons of people would have to really love Scooby Doo and call it the best cartoon ever for that to be really true? I mean even the most diehard scooby fan isn't going to call the show the Greatest cartoon ever. Really it's only overrated in the sense it's so marketable at this point and people keep coming up with new "ideas" for the franchise that it continues staying afloat. It's just one of the shows I guess that keeps getting remade but I wouldn't call it overrated.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

    ...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

    .... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

  6. #6
    Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bedrock
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Ultra Mike View Post
    How can you call Scooby Doo "overratted" though. "Overmarkatable" defintley, "overused forumla" well yeah that's kind of obvious, and "Overplayed" for sure, espiecally compared to any other Hannah Barbera cartoon. But "overratted?" wouldn't that mean that tons upon tons of people would have to really love Scooby Doo and call it the best cartoon ever for that to be really true? I mean even the most diehard scooby fan isn't going to call the show the Greatest cartoon ever. Really it's only overrated in the sense it's so marketable at this point and people keep coming up with new "ideas" for the franchise that it continues staying afloat. It's just one of the shows I guess that keeps getting remade but I wouldn't call it overrated.
    Yeah, but it must be pretty popular if they keep spending money making new shows and marketing it.

  7. #7
    Goldstar Neo's Avatar
    Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonsville
    Posts
    9,134
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know if I'd call Scooby Doo overrated, since 'overrated' doesn't mean 'hated', nor does it mean 'repetitous', rather it means "overly praised" or "receiving more praise than it deserves", and I haven't heard a whole lot of people praising Scooby to the stars, except maybe for a few hardcore fans. Scooby Doo may be over played, but not necessarily overrated.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

  8. #8
    The Cartoon's Avatar
    The Cartoon is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,025
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well Scooby-Doo is my favorite show of all time. I've grown up with it since before I remember. I don't deem it as the greatest show ever because there is a huge difference between "favorite" and "greatest." I can understand why you think that it's overrated. It's really popular and I know quite a few people who understand why. I think that if someone tried to get into Scooby-Doo as an adult, it would be really difficult. As a kid, you start to love it and that love never really goes away. The reason that a lot of people don't love it as adults is probably because of low quality animation and the same general plot in every episode. Hanna Barbera didn't have too much funds for animation so they had to make up for it with great writing. Thing is though, the show is fun. It's always fun to try to figure out who the culprit is, to watch Shaggy and Scooby's antics, to watch the crime slowly come together, to see all of the cool villain designs and all of the unique creepy places that they visit. It never gets old for me, and I've gotten laughs from every episode I've seen.
    Visit the newly opened Toonzone forum: The Musiquarium!
    Vote in the Greatest Character Ever Tournament!
    Visit Dramatic Static, one of the best Total Drama forums on the web.

  9. #9
    RonDrakenfan17's Avatar
    RonDrakenfan17 is offline Luffy fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Flintstone View Post
    It's more to do with the concept. IMO, every episode is the same.
    Well that's true, if you watch the movies like Zombie Island or the newer episodes of Scooby-Doo you'll notice not all storylines are the same
    One Piece fan. Bleach fan.

  10. #10
    cognitofalcon's Avatar
    cognitofalcon is offline G'night evry' body!!
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    847
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Compared to other cartoons of the time, I'd say that it definately not overated. It was orobably better than many of the cartoons at that time.
    I now use Tumblr regularly.
    http://cognitofalcon.tumblr.com/
    I'm also participating in Let's Plays now (Among other things)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SAFGuys

    Not as cynical now a'days =) I am much happier too!

  11. #11
    Fibber Fox's Avatar
    Fibber Fox is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My perspective is probably different than anyone else's here because I don't own a TV now and thus have not been oversaturated with the show. I saw Scooby once a week, in first run, from 1969 until I stopped watching it a few years later.

    I thought it was a great show when it started. You could follow along and try to solve the mystery. You got some comic relief on the way. Great balance in the story structure. The voices were good, too. But what went wrong for me was the comic relief overtook the mystery aspect due to, I suspect, the wishes of the suits at CBS.

    I finally gave up on the show when Phyllis Diller and a bunch of drawn live-action "guest stars" that had no business being there showed up. As a kid, it seemed to me they had become hard up for stories. The group-running cycle animation got hauled out for an obligatory showing each episode. And John Stephenson being unmasked and saying "if it weren't for those meddling kids and that dog" every week wore out its welcome.

    Mercifully, this means I missed the various other incarnations of the show, other than brief clips that leave my jaw on the ground in disbelief about how anyone would be entertained by them.

    I have seen part of a recent revival attempt and thought the creators had done a pretty good job with it, though I can leave the idea of a Shaggy-Velma romance.

    Still, obviously Scooby is hugely popular and has been a cash cow (dog?) to its owners. And the show wouldn't continue to be brought back if people didn't want it.

    F. Fox
    http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    LeatherJeans's Avatar
    LeatherJeans is offline Genderbending=Awesomeness !
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In the Lone Star State!
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not really overrated...Scooby Doo is never-ending tale!
    : Pepper Spray? That sounds delicious! AAAAAHHHH! I was wrong! I was horribly wrong!

    Did I ever mention my FanFiction?

  13. #13
    Kiddington's Avatar
    Kiddington is offline tut tut
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    1,539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The only thing I can really say about Scooby Doo is that it's a rather dated concept that has, surprisingly, been revived multiple times.

    Still... calling a series such as this "overrated" is really a stretch. We're not talking about a commercialized empire like Spongebob here. Hell, how often do you even see Scooby related merchandise on store shelves? I mean, it's there... but it's not as if you can walk into any old store and buy some related toy 30 times over.

  14. #14
    DarthGonzo's Avatar
    DarthGonzo is offline Ten Years on TZ!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Franklin Square, NY
    Posts
    10,592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
    The only thing I can really say about Scooby Doo is that it's a rather dated concept that has, surprisingly, been revived multiple times.

    Still... calling a series such as this "overrated" is really a stretch. We're not talking about a commercialized empire like Spongebob here. Hell, how often do you even see Scooby related merchandise on store shelves? I mean, it's there... but it's not as if you can walk into any old store and buy some related toy 30 times over.
    But the fact that Scooby is still going strong over 40 years later says quite a bit. Lets see where Spongebob is in 2039.

  15. #15
    Eric Brown is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Outlived the concept

    I pretty much have to agree with "Fibber Fox". I was there when the show first aired and I wasn't a kid. The first two seasons were entertaining. Then the many near clone shows started appearing, which kind of wore out the concept. The stories were repetative. Even Joe Barbera was quoted as wondering why the networks kept ordering new Scooby episodes, as it was always the same story over and over.
    It's not that I dislike Scooby Doo. I'm pleased to see that the franchise has survived. Entertaining? Not so much.

  16. #16
    Leviathan's Avatar
    Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas, United State
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthGonzo View Post
    But the fact that Scooby is still going strong over 40 years later says quite a bit. Lets see where Spongebob is in 2039.
    I think that says more about Time Warner priorities than anything else. I mean, The Flintstones went strong for a longer period than Scooby, but literally the only thing those characters have been used for since WB took over Hanna-Barbera is the still-ongoing vitamins and Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

  17. #17
    Steve Carras's Avatar
    Steve Carras is offline SUGAR RUSH!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The good ol' USA
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibber Fox View Post
    My perspective is probably different than anyone else's here because I don't own a TV now and thus have not been oversaturated with the show. I saw Scooby once a week, in first run, from 1969 until I stopped watching it a few years later.

    I thought it was a great show when it started. You could follow along and try to solve the mystery. You got some comic relief on the way. Great balance in the story structure. The voices were good, too. But what went wrong for me was the comic relief overtook the mystery aspect due to, I suspect, the wishes of the suits at CBS.

    I finally gave up on the show when Phyllis Diller and a bunch of drawn live-action "guest stars" that had no business being there showed up. As a kid, it seemed to me they had become hard up for stories. The group-running cycle animation got hauled out for an obligatory showing each episode. And John Stephenson being unmasked and saying "if it weren't for those meddling kids and that dog" every week wore out its welcome.

    Mercifully, this means I missed the various other incarnations of the show, other than brief clips that leave my jaw on the ground in disbelief about how anyone would be entertained by them.

    I have seen part of a recent revival attempt and thought the creators had done a pretty good job with it, though I can leave the idea of a Shaggy-Velma romance.

    Still, obviously Scooby is hugely popular and has been a cash cow (dog?) to its owners. And the show wouldn't continue to be brought back if people didn't want it.

    F. Fox
    http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

    A little Jack Shaindlin [think: "Comedy Suspense"] or Phil Green sneaky music would have been better on the show even though it was the post-Capital era [Ted Nichols]. After all, the library back then was still available [do "Night of the Living Dead", Jerry Fairbanks or Art Clokey, for instance, ring a bell, as of that late period? ]

    I enjoy immensely Phillys Diller, even that 1966-1967 "The Pruitts of Southhampton" [I remember that one, and was 6 when it aired], but sorry, Miss Diller, Scooby appearances? "
    Wait till your Father.." was a better show to appear on. Rankin-Bass's "Mad Monster Party" did a better service to her animation wise.

    Oh. PS: I have always held a scret Daphne Blake crush [hides head in shame now.]

  18. #18
    Itchy's Avatar
    Itchy is offline Scratchy's enemy
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apart from the Zombie Island movie, I have yet to see a movie or episode of Scooby Doo that I've liked. Pretty repetitive and boring stuff with lackluster animation for the most part. Never figured why it keeps getting revived all the time in recent years. I would rather see new series about Hanna Barberas' good cartoons like The Flintstones or Yogi bear.

  19. #19
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    Apart from the Zombie Island movie, I have yet to see a movie or episode of Scooby Doo that I've liked. Pretty repetitive and boring stuff with lackluster animation for the most part.
    That's not fair. The animation on Scooby-Doo isn't any worse than the animation on any other Hanna-Barbera show. In fact, the animation on later Scooby projects like A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, What's New, Scooby-Doo? , Scooby-Doo: Mystery, Inc. and the later Scooby movies are head-and-shoulders above the animation on most of the 60's and 70's HB cartoons.

    Never figured why it keeps getting revived all the time in recent years. I would rather see new series about Hanna Barberas' good cartoons like The Flintstones or Yogi bear.
    Scooby continually puts butts in seats, otherwise it wouldn't have endured for so long. And while it would be nice to see some other HB shows get some play once in a while (though we are getting a Yogi Bear movie this December), "good" is in the eye of the beholder. I really don't see Yogi and The Flintstones being all that much better than Scooby-Doo, honestly. Most of the HB stuff is in pretty much the same league of middling to mediocre to me. Not terrible, but far from great. But that's just me.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  20. #20
    Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bedrock
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    That's not fair. The animation on Scooby-Doo isn't any worse than the animation on any other Hanna-Barbera show. In fact, the animation on later Scooby projects like A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, What's New, Scooby-Doo? , Scooby-Doo: Mystery, Inc. and the later Scooby movies are head-and-shoulders above the animation on most of the 60's and 70's HB cartoons.

    Scooby continually puts butts in seats, otherwise it wouldn't have endured for so long. And while it would be nice to see some other HB shows get some play once in a while (though we are getting a Yogi Bear movie this December), "good" is in the eye of the beholder. I really don't see Yogi and The Flintstones being all that much better than Scooby-Doo, honestly. Most of the HB stuff is in pretty much the same league of middling to mediocre to me. Not terrible, but far from great. But that's just me.
    I admit I'm biased, but The Flintstones is way better than Scooby ever was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO