Follow Us:

Thread: Ralph Phillips

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ralph Phillips

Like This Thread!

Does anyone remember Ralph Phillips?

Ralph Phillips is the imaginative daydreaming boy featured in two Warner Bros. animated shorts directed by Chuck Jones: "A To Z-Z-Z-Z" and "Boyhood Daze."

I remember both episodes vividly, but in my mind they were mashed together as one. I watched them anyway with my son, and he loved them. Does anyone know if these are available on any DVD collections?

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    Does anyone remember Ralph Phillips?

Ralph Phillips is the imaginative daydreaming boy featured in two Warner Bros. animated shorts directed by Chuck Jones: "A To Z-Z-Z-Z" and "Boyhood Daze."
    There was actually a 3rd Ralph Phillips short, featuring an adult Ralph enlisting in the service. It was a propaganda/training film made for the Army, though, so it wasn't originally released for the public. I saw the short once on Cartoon Network's Toon Heads.

Fun trivia fact: kid Ralph was voiced by Dick Beals, who also provided the voice of Speedy Alka-Seltzer.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

SpongeJosh is offline A Bold Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "A To Z-Z-Z-Z" is featured on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 2and "Boyhood Daze" is featured in Vol. 6. Both of the promotional shorts for the army featuring an older Ralph, "90 Day Wondering" and "Drafty Isn't It?" are on Vol. 4.
    They all think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy. It is I who am mad.
    The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
    You can't touch music, but music can touch you.

Bat-Fan Beyond is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeJosh View Post
    "A To Z-Z-Z-Z" is featured on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 2and "Boyhood Daze" is featured in Vol. 6. Both of the promotional shorts for the army featuring an older Ralph, "90 Day Wondering" and "Drafty Isn't It?" are on Vol. 4.

Awesome! Thanks for that bit of info. I'll look into it. Hopefully, they're not edited.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar
    Fun trivia fact: kid Ralph was voiced by Dick Beals, who also provided the voice of Speedy Alka-Seltzer.
    Another fun fact: Dick Beals is still alive. He's one of the few Golden Age VAs still with us, though that's not entirely surprising since he was pretty young in 1953.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Fan Beyond View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for that bit of info. I'll look into it. Hopefully, they're not edited.
    They're not edited. In fact, even though "Boyhood Daze" is a "bonus cartoon" on vol. 6 (most of which were not restored), "Daze" was one of the few restored and looks wonderful.

Jave is offline So Smashing... In Space! Magma Champion Robots and Aliens: Reactor Twist 3D Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Remember, no mentioning of how to watch cartoons ilegally. Even if you don't provide links it's against the rules here.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Mr Flintstone is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I remember Ralph Phillips. I don't know if this is fact or it's just my opinion, but I believe Ralph in the 1983 holiday classic "A Christmas Story" was inspired by Ralph Phillips.

KJ Styles is offline The Instant Classic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jave View Post
    Remember, no mentioning of how to watch cartoons ilegally. Even if you don't provide links it's against the rules here.

The Golden Collection are Looney Tunes DVD's, they're not illegal.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Styles View Post
    The Golden Collection are Looney Tunes DVD's, they're not illegal.
    He was referring to a deleted comment.

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeJosh View Post
    Technically, "From A to Z-z-z-z-z" is available on Volume 2, but only as part of the "Adventures of the Road Runner" pilot, meaning it's missing its opening and closing titles. The full cartoon (with its original pre-Blue Ribbon titles restored) can be found on the Academy Award Animation Collection.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.