Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dtemplar is offline Old School Professor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Adventures of Superboy" Coming Soon!

Like This Thread!

I was at the Home Theater Forum chat on Monday, and Warner has announced that there will be plans for The Adventures of Superboy coming soon to DVD.

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like they cleared the rights issue with shuster and siegel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought when DC worked on Legion of 3 Worlds and the guy who worked on said it they would call Superboy-Prime instead of Superman-Prime.

Let's just hope that Warner Bros. would bring the rest of the 60s Superman cartoons and the 60s Batman cartoons to DVD as well.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool... as a kid, I liked the Superboy cartoons, particularly for Krypto. Glad to see they're finally on DVD (stupid rights disputes)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first time I ever saw Superboy, it was on The Bozo Show on Wednesdays, and my first thought was, that's not Superboy, that's Superman.

When you first see it, you know the blue costume, the big S, and the red cape. Superman has those too.

The second thought was, why was the dog flying like Superman?

I was 4 when I first saw it.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He's a younger Clark Kent who decided to start his crime fighting career before leaving Smallville for Metropolis (and the Daily Planet). In this version, he protects Smallville with his faithful dog Krypto.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cristeto1981 View Post
    I am not such an expert on Superman so pardon me if I ask the question "who exactly is Superboy???"
    To elaborate on the above poster's reply, Superboy is what Clark Kent called himself when he started his superhero career as a child in Smallville, before he grew up and moved to Metropolis. In the original comics, he first became Superboy at age 8, though most Superboy adventures focus on his teen years. He fought various menaces to Smallville, plus had adventures via time-travel with the Legion of Super-Heroes. After graduating from high school, the Kents both passed away, and Clark moved to Metropolis, where after a year or two, he changed his name to "Superman" during college.

Superboy first appeared in "More Fun Comics" #101 in 1945, and was published through the mid-80s, when Byrne's 1986 Superman origin revamp ditched Superboy as a character (in favor of Clark becoming a superhero for the first time as an adult). Though recent comics apparently have brought back his Superboy career (least as far as the Legion's concerned)...

Superboy comics are where a good chunk of Superman's mythos comes from---particularly Ma and Pa Kent as actual characters, Lana Lang, Pete Ross, Krypto, the Phantom Zone, and his hometown being named Smallville.

-B.

Optimus81 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't suppose there was ever an episode during the Filmation run with the Legion of Super-Heroes, was there?

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nope. It was just Superboy and Krypto.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lana, Ma and Pa Kent appeared a few times in the series as well, but no Legion. Odd considering one short's plot involved Superboy and Krypto being required to travel 1000 years into the future. There, during some fight, a group of people didn't seem to recognize the Boy of Steel in one scene (though the villain of the piece did)... weird.

-B.

TheAmazingJJJ is offline Cosmic Dreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To coin a phrase... ABOUT FREAKING TIME!

So... street date? Press release? Anything? Hello?

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll believe it when it's made official.

The Superboy shorts mark Ted Knight's debut as Filmation's official narrator of DC toons, save for Jackson Beck handling Superman's adventures. Bob Hastings (McHale's Navy, General Hospital, radio voice of Archie) was Superboy. Those were good times.

Rick Jones is offline Crazy Marvel Love
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is awesome news. Superboy and Aquaman used to be my favorites of the Filmation bunch, and one of those has been on dvd for a while already. I wouldn't have expected to see this released before the original Batman cartoons though especially with it's legal issues in mind.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't wait for these to come out. The Adventures of Batman and Superboy were both awesome. But I have both series on bootlegs and both are in high quality so I can wait for them to come out without losing sleep.

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Release date?

Any word on a release date for this series?!
    I'd love to get an official DVD of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbyfan View Post
    The Superboy shorts mark Ted Knight's debut as Filmation's official narrator of DC toons, save for Jackson Beck handling Superman's adventures. Bob Hastings (McHale's Navy, General Hospital, radio voice of Archie) was Superboy. Those were good times.
    Don't forget that Hastings was also the voice of Commissioner Gordon on Batman: The Animated Series.

Napoleon Solo is offline Gatchaman G-6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I, as well, will believe when I see it. We'll probably get Fantastic Voyage and Journey to the center of the earth first...and that would not be a bad thing.

ashleesmach1 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does

anyone know when it may come out?

Aaron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess not...

So, apparently, this isn't coming out, eh?

I got my hopes up. But it's been a long time since the first announcement. I guess I gotta keep wating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wrote to the Warner Archive's Facebook page, and asking that with next year being the 75th anniversary of Superman is there plans to release the Superboy cartoons as well as the remaining episodes of The New Adventures of Superman to DVD or Blu-Ray.

I got a response:

We are of the understanding that both of those are likely to be headed to mass-merchant retailers at some point. Thanks.
    The good news is they're working on it, the bad news is we have to wait a while. Stay Tooned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast