Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Toony Loon is offline What's all the hubub, bub?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Old "Those Endearing Young Charms" Gag

Like This Thread!
    We've all seen it. It's a famous gag, and still funny!
    Scenario:
    [ANTAGONIST rigs dynamite to a certain piano/xylophone key in the song "Those Endearing Young Charms"]
    [PROTAGONIST plays the song right, but misses the certain note]
    ANTAGONIST: No! That's not it! Try it again!
    [PROTAGONIST tries again, but misses the note once more.]
    ANTAGONIST: No, no, you idjet! Like this!
    [ANTAGONIST is blown to kingdom come.]

Okay, I've been wondering: exactly how many times has this gag been used in classic cartoons, and which cartoon/studio/director executes it best?
    I remember it being in a Private Snafu cartoon called Booby Traps [Clampett, WB], plus the cartoons Ballot Box Bunny [Freleng, WB], Rushing Roulette [McKimson, WB], and Show Biz Bugs [Freleng, WB]
    My vote goes to Show Biz Bugs. I liked it better faster paced, and Daffy Duck said "No! No! You stupid rabbit! Like this!" much better than Yosemite Sam did in Ballot Box Bunny (even though Mel Blanc did voice them both).
    Any thoughts?
    "Amazing, I already know, that I am.." – Coraline by Henry Sellick and Neil Gaiman

Silverstar is offline Pac It Up!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A nice variation on this gag occurs in the Animaniacs short "Slappy Goes Walnuts".

One of Slappy Squirrel's nemeses, Doug the Dog, sets up a xylophone rigged with explosives, and of course hides out of sight behind some bushes. Slappy spots the xylophone and announces she's going to play "Those Endearing Young Charms", to her nephew Skippy's horror. Slappy plays the corresponding notes to the song, not messing it up at all, causing Doug the Dog to explode from his hiding place on her first try. Slappy grins to the camera and says, "Old gag, new twist."
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

CelesteK is offline Secret Gobots Fan.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    A nice variation on this gag occurs in the Animaniacs short "Slappy Goes Walnuts".

One of Slappy Squirrel's nemeses, Doug the Dog, sets up a xylophone rigged with explosives, and of course hides out of sight behind some bushes. Slappy spots the xylophone and announces she's going to play "Those Endearing Young Charms", to her nephew Skippy's horror. Slappy plays the corresponding notes to the song, not messing it up at all, causing Doug the Dog to explode from his hiding place on her first try. Slappy grins to the camera and says, "Old gag, new twist."
    Yeah that one was funny.

"Woah! We've got to talk about personal boundries when this is over."

--->Batgirl: The Batman-Lost Heroes<---

fartoons is offline Creamy Goodness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Show Biz Bugs" wins, then "Ballot Box Bunny". I think Friz Freleng is the only one who made this gag work.
    FARToons Productions™

"Offending the world one idiot at a time!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toony Loon View Post
    I remember it being in a Private Snafu cartoon called Booby Traps [Clampett, WB], plus the cartoons Ballot Box Bunny [Freleng, WB], Rushing Roulette [McKimson, WB], and Show Biz Bugs [Freleng, WB]
    It was also used in two H-B cartoons. The first was in TOP CAT, whereby the greedy butler and semi-articulate dog sidekick (protoype 'Muttley' Don Messick laugh) plan to eliminate Benny, who's apparently the missing heir to a fortune. The song was "Strolling Through The Park", a standard Hoyt Curtin background cue. In this case, the dog was the victim of his own absent-minded impatience. It was rather unusual for TOP CAT, which was originally made for prime time circa 1961-62, to have a character comically (and temporarily) blown up in the style of contemporary theatrical and syndicated TV cartoons.

Thirty years later, the gag was revisited on YO! YOGI, made for the last season of Saturday AM cartoons on NBC- and one of the last H-B cartoons made for Saturday AM overall. For some reason, a couple of crooks planted explosives on teenage Huck's banjo that would detonate with his trademark "Oh, my darlin'" song. In fact, the classic line used for the parallel gag in SHOW BIZ BUGS ("Then he'll be playing a harp!") was reprised. Given Saturday AM constraints, the unfortunate- or, rather stupid- crook merely suffered mildly shredded clothes.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Still HowardFein View Post
    It was also used in two H-B cartoons. The first was in TOP CAT, whereby the greedy butler and semi-articulate dog sidekick (protoype 'Muttley' Don Messick laugh) plan to eliminate Benny, who's apparently the missing heir to a fortune. The song was "Strolling Through The Park", a standard Hoyt Curtin background cue. In this case, the dog was the victim of his own absent-minded impatience. It was rather unusual for TOP CAT, which was originally made for prime time circa 1961-62, to have a character comically (and temporarily) blown up in the style of contemporary theatrical and syndicated TV cartoons.

Thirty years later, the gag was revisited on YO! YOGI, made for the last season of Saturday AM cartoons on NBC- and one of the last H-B cartoons made for Saturday AM overall. For some reason, a couple of crooks planted explosives on teenage Huck's banjo that would detonate with his trademark "Oh, my darlin'" song. In fact, the classic line used for the parallel gag in SHOW BIZ BUGS ("Then he'll be playing a harp!") was reprised. Given Saturday AM constraints, the unfortunate- or, rather stupid- crook merely suffered mildly shredded clothes.
    Huck's signature song is "My Darlin' Clementine". Can we remember that a little more often, please?

dtemplar is offline Old School Professor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wasn't there one in a Road Runner cartoon?

Eric B is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was Rushing Roulette, mentioned above.
    Aww, isn't that cute?
    But it's WRONG!!!
    -Mr. H

cyde is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was it one of Looney's residential music writers, for the record, that composed Those Endering Young Charms?

Fibber Fox is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyde View Post
    Was it one of Looney's residential music writers, for the record, that composed Those Endering Young Charms?
    http://www.contemplator.com/ireland/believe.html

Nothing blows up during this midi file, though

F. Fox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast